“Great NYC”
Review of The London NYC

The London NYC
Ranked #182 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 9 March 2012

An amazing stay in Feb for my sons 21st first birthday, we had a 2 bedroom suite complimentary gifts for the birthday boy, nothing was to much trouble and I was so impressed by the room which made our trip..

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank piano123
There are newer reviews for The London NYC

Reviewed 9 March 2012

The location could not be more convenient in midtown Manhattan, once you get past all the metal scaffolding and other construction and traffic barriers erected on the sidewalk and street in fron the hotel. Front desk staff is polite and housekeeping satisfactory. The guest rooms are spacious by NYC standards. Hallways are a bit dark. Fitness room is great.
Unfortunately the hotel restaurant is way overpriced. For $40 you get a cold breakfast buffet of pastries, juice and cereal, anything hot you have to order off an expensive menu, so I although the hotel itself is a good value (rooms/suites in the mid 300's per night) I mark down the hotel because the restaurant is really quite a bad value.
I would return again but I would not eat in the restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank mike-lcf
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We recently stayed at The London on the recommendation of a friend. We were in town for a charity event at Carnegie Hall. Made the reservation online but made sure the hotel knew we were first time guests in town for an event and recommended by NBC Burbank. In spite of this, it was the first time in AGES that I have stayed somewhere new and not been upgraded or at least offered an upgrade. The rate was excellent and on the plus side - the rooms are VERY spacious and that was great. The bed was comfortable and it was obviously in a very easy location for so many things - also the shower was wonderful!

On the down side, I expected a higher level of warmth and interaction with staff based on the high recommendation as well as the well known level of service that GR seems to expect from his people. Room service was NOT a "whatever you want" and "great wine list" as the website and some reviews may lead you to believe. Instead it was VERY standard room service and not the entire menu of what's available at MAZE. Not even close. We had to wait 30 minutes and basically beg and plead to get a wine list that was more extensive that the regular room service menu. I mention this because I did feel that the website was a little misleading on this particular point. Also we did dine at MAZE one night and honestly it was just okay - the food was excellent but the service was mediocre. Also the food is quite sophisticated but the tables look like they belong in a diner. It was a strange combination that just didn't quite work.

Also late one night we went to The London Bar to share a nice bottle of wine and the waitress brought the gorgeous but overly chilled bottle of pinot - we saw her bar manager talking with her and putting hands on the bottle - obviously realizing it was too cold...however the manager did not say anything to us and left the poor server (who knew absolutely nothing about wine or service) to deal with it. We actually felt badly for her, took the wine up to our room and let it warm up....but we love a good hotel bar and were disappointed with this one. Instead for the remainder of this trip when we wanted a great hotel bar vibe - we went to the Carlyle and the Mercer. Also an abundance of staff in the lobby every time we entered and exited but hardly even a hello or goodbye and never any attempt at real interaction. We travel and enjoy the hospitality factor of many hotels but this one didn't leave us wanting to come back.

Also I harp on this all the time...but hello people...if you can't get coffee up to me in the morning any faster than 30 minutes tops.....please put a nice little one cup coffee maker in my lovely room!!

And....beautiful luxury hotel but no turn down service and not even complimentary water!

So...in closing if you can get this hotel at a reduced rate as I did (one night free), I can recommend staying there because the rooms are very nice. However I would not pay full price to stay here as I felt it's just not quite there in terms of service. High prices should come with high service.

Room Tip: Suites here are nice and spacious. Try to get a room facing the park.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank OCPB
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Spending 7 nights in NYC with my wife this hotel was exactly what I was looking for during our stay. The friendly "no-nonsense" reception service and very helpful concierge gentlemen made our stay brilliant. We stayed in a Vista room and were lucky enough to get great views of the Park and little noise from the street and building works going on. Having a double shower solution in the bathroom was also a first for us but quite nice. Everything worked smoothly - which is somewhat of "key" for us when visiting city hotels. As someone wrote earlier, beds are simply amazing. We will definately return to the London NYC!

Room Tip: As always, a higher floor is seldom less quite or less enjoyable than lower floors.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This is a great hotel in Mid-town. There is lots of space in the rooms as they have a seperate living area and bedroom. The front desk staff are friendly and helpful. The bed is very comfortable and the room is everything you would expect in an luxury hotel.

The location is great, within easy walking distance of Broadway and Times Square. I would return to this hotel on any trip to NYC.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business