New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Cincinnati, Ohio
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Would watch it again, and that's saying something for me”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Just watched it this past weekend at 1500 on 2/26. The singing, effects, and acting just amazed me. Some of the songs were short, some were a little longer, but enjoyed them all. I will say that I enjoyed Elphaba's songs more due to the range of notes and more effects. This was my first broadway show, but having been to touring and off-broadway performances and this by-far exceeded them all.

I grew up watching The Wizard of Oz so much that I am sick of it and have politely requested that it, along with a few other movies, not be watched in our living room while I'm home. With my travel for my job and serving my country, that doesn't leave me much time to spend in my living room, so in honestly it is a very limited time frame that I request this.

I guess when you have skilled actors performing live, instead of having multiple tries to do it and let hollywood do the rest, it just makes me respect the idea of Oz and the story a lot more. Maybe I'll not ban The Wizard of Oz anymore, not that I'll watch it since I'm still sick of that version, but that it will bring back fond memories of Wicked on Broadway.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Orlando FL
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Big hit with our family, including our teenager”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Excellent performance by the leads and a good option for a family treat. Despite the fact that it's been around a while, it was fresh and entertaining. Appropriate for most ages (except little ones).

New York City, New York
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

This is by far my favorite show I have ever seen on Broadway. The one thing that stuck out in my mind was the sheer amount of talent you get to watch. I have seen multiple shows on Broadway, from the traditional like Phantom of the Opera, to the more contemporary & controversial, like Rent, and this is by far the most amount of talent I have ever seen assembled on one stage. No visit to Broadway is complete without seeing this show.

New York City, New York
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 196 helpful votes
“A play that has become a tourist attraction”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I have seen Wicked twice, although not by choice, frankly. I went first with colleagues on a business trip and we were split about our feelings for the play. I was on the side that did not love it, although I was in the minority. (Note about my personal taste in musicals: I hated Mamma Mia and Cats, so this fell into that category of show for me. There is room for a curmudgeon in Broadway musicals. Loved South Pacific and Lion King) I did notice when I first saw it, however, that the place was packed with teenaged kids who seems to gobble it up, so I went back this month with my teenaged son. He has been to a lot of shows but not this one, so I was curious about how he would like it.

A Wednesday matinee was a complete madhouse. Wicked is like a license to print money. Packed, expensive, with ample marketing opportunities. They hardly even bother to stop people from taking pictures in the theater; the crowd is too young and very excited.

The audience fell into three categories; school and other groups of adolescents and harried chaperones, foreign tourists who seems not to have a lot of English in some cases but were there for the spectacle, and the usual musical matinee folks. It was a bit of a zoo.

A tip about the very expensive tickets. This is a newish theater and there is probably not a bad seat in the house. This time I splurged for lower orchestra seats, but why? The last time I saw it I was much further back but had a perfect view and the acoustics are fine. So really, this is one theater where you need not fret much about where you are sitting. The seats are roomier than in the older theaters and more accessible. Escalator and elevator make this easy to enter. Bathrooms are bigger than most Broadway houses, but given this there are many teenaged girls all drinking $8 sodas (actually, ice with soda, mostly) for the commemorative cup, so good luck at intermission!

The show itself was slightly better than I recalled, but I still don't like it much, I have to say. However, if measured in the happiness of the audience it was a huge hit. They cheered, they cried, they had a wonderful experience. And that is what matters. If it makes theater lovers out of them, so much the better. So go see it if it can make someone you know happy.

My teenager may have liked all the pretty girls all around him and near his age slightly more than he liked the show, but he had a lot of fun. And has a commemorative cup, too.

1 Thank withkidstravel
Oceanside, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Boring, Non-Climactic & Just a Waste of Time & Money!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Saw the Feb 23 @ 800pm show. Im 40+yrs old, single& no kids. Oh can I say am I glad I didnt pay full price tickets or else I would seriously write the organization for a refund.

Yawn is the best way to describethis production. The Actress that played Glenda was fantastic. Very humorous and fun to watch. The other actress that played the Green Witch was just plain off. Her voice was just not right for the production. Just blah.

The music in the entire production was terrible. It did not engage me at all. I fell asleep for a majority of the production. I have come to the realization that if it is not a performace show (Stomp, Riverdance), then more likely than not, I will not like the production. In musicals, the cast has to compliment each other or else you just get one big flop. The cast was not susccint in the production I saw. Thoroughly disappointed. Oh, and making the audience wait 1 1/2 hrs for an intermission - Not Cool!

1 Thank TurboKickChick