“Feel like a real new yorker!!”
Review of Lafayette House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lafayette House
Ranked #399 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 May 2017

We could not have asked for a more charming hotel in the east village. Rooms are very nicely decorated and the working fireplace was a blast. Individual A/C. The neighborhood is an excellent location with restaurants around the corner but both our rooms faced the rear so no street noise to speak of. Spaceous rooms by NYC standards, some with gardens and decks which are very nice. Our room had a stovetop but we never turned it on. Refrigerator but no microwave.

Our daughter lives near Washington Square Park which was a short 10 minute walk, and it is very nice park in Greenwich Village.

Room service is provided by the restaurant next door and housecleaning checks on rooms daily. We had a problem with the guests next door, and management was quick to handle the situation and immediately offered to remove the night's charge. We loved the Hotel and plan to be back again.

Room Tip: No handicap facilities like most brownstones.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

I really enjoy the trend away from standard boring cookie cutter hotel rooms, and this place is about as far from that as I could imagine. It reminds me of two lodgings above pubs in London that I have stayed at, but is a whole lot more than that. Everything is clean and neat, and yet the whole Enterprise feels like a trip into the past. The bed was comfortable, the gas fireplace was welcome on a cold night, and everything worked, which won't seem unusual until you arrive and realize it feels like something should be broken. There are no old Brownstones where everything works in Manhattan. Oh wait, I guess there are.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2017 via mobile

Lafayette House is a step back in time! This wonderful gem has it all. Serenity, big comfy bed, fireplace, antiques and a bathtub for two! The management even left us a complimentary bottle of wine.
There are narrow steps to climb but the charm is worth it. The location is prime to see and do NYC by subway or walking.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eileen S
Reviewed 17 October 2015

Where I come from we don't have brownstones so to come to New York to visit my daughter for 5 nights and to stay in an historic brownstone with my own set of front door keys was really exciting! What makes the Lafayette House even better, though, is that the interiors were designed by hotelier Sean MacPherson. I am a fan of the lived-in eclectic luxe spaces that he also created for the Bowery, Marlton, and Ludlow hotels (I've stayed at all of them).

The Lafayette House is a bit of a hybrid combining the best of a hotel with great amenities (daily housekeeping, fridge, free wifi, coffee making, Bigelow toiletries, safe, terrycloth robes) and anonymity of an airbnb (no lobby, your own keys to enter as though it is your house!).

Consider yourself fortunate if you are able to stay here. You can book directly with the hotel (I had no success doing this) or through the airbnb site using "iconic brownstone in noho".

We stayed in the Woodpecker room, one of several rooms on the ground floor. There was a patio garden off of our room. Design details included: scattered area rugs, crown moldings, working marble fireplace, velvet curtains and chairs, dark hardwood floor, and antique furniture. The absolute best parts of our stay were the amazingly comfortable pink and white bed linens and the extraordinarily large bathroom sink with beautiful solid brass fixtures (I have since read that the massive sink had to be installed using a crane!).

As far as location, we loved getting a morning coffee at La Colombe just down the street. It is an easy walk to Washington Square Park and the boutique shopping area just south of Houston Street. One morning we walked to Dominique Ansel bakery to have the DKA and cronut. A subway station is about 4 blocks away.

We found the location safe and convenient.

Note: Stairs are steep and you will have to carry your own luggage. No elevator.

Next time I would like to stay in an upper level room where I imagine the ceilings might be higher and there is more light.

Room Tip: Two ground floor room have gardens, Woodpecker (smaller garden) and Parakeet (larger)
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank pricklypoppy
Reviewed 22 September 2015

I loved everything about this place. It felt like staying at someone's (fabulous) home, yet you get the basics of a hotel (attentive staff, room service, daily cleaning etc). Just minus a lobby and loiterers (who needs that?). The room was so elegant, homey and spacious. I will stay here again !

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled on business