“Too much noise”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #347 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 December 2012

During my two night stay at this property (invited by a New-York company so I will not comment prices), I suffered from the noise coming from corridors. Room doors are very old, and there is a free space between the bottom of the door and the floor, making all the noise freely flow from corridor to room, or the other way. Room doors also make a lot of noise when guests close them. Although check-out time is noon, housekeeper knocked at my door at 8 am on departure day to see whether she could handle my room. I should have placed the "do not disturb" sign on the door but... such sign was missing in my room. Also a lot of noise coming from outside (AC and so on). To sum up, I have found it difficult to rest and have privacy in my room.
Otherwise, the bathroom was rather small and the shower lacked pressure while water temperature kept changing . Breakfast buffet was pretty basic. Elevators were working but as I was on the 10th floor I had to wait long to get one. Bedding was very good.
I was surprised to see as the hotel tries to charge for everything, but I guess it is usual in NYC... 7$ for a very small bottle of water in the room? Electric adaptators that are usually lent for free at other properties have to be bought here (and of course, there is no non US plugs in the room even for an electric shave in the bathroom). I bought WiFi access in the room but notice that free Wi-Fi is available in the hall.
To sum up, I doubt I would come back to this hotel especially should I pay for it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (6,324)

Reviewed 4 December 2012

I had a recent multi-night stay here at the Empire, my first stay at this property. A frequent mid-town Manhattan visitor, I often stay in a variety of properties, wherever my company places me. For the first night, I was placed in a smoking room, despite my request online for a non-smoking room. (Note: 4th floor is smoking floor.) I was told the hotel was sold out and I couldn't be moved until the next day. I left my bags packed and they reassigned me to another room the next day.

Once I returned to my new room late the second evening, I discovered that the heater/AC was defective and would bang and clank whenever it was operating. I reported it to the front desk, but since it was after 11pm, I opted for them to send maintenance the next day and I unplugged the unit instead.

Returning to the room on the third night, I discovered that they hadn't sent maintenance during the day as promised and the problem persisted. Upon checkout, I complained and was offered a mere $75 credit for my troubles, even though my nightly rate was $300. I refused and got twice the initial credit, but was insulted. In fact, they said that they don't "guarantee" non-smoking rooms as requested, the first time I had heard that of any NYC property.

Other notes: restaurant was good, rooftop bar has decent views, be wary of construction outside in the street. It starts early and is loud!

I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: 4th floor is smoking floor. Don't stay on that floor unless you are ok with smoke and smells.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We were over the moon when we were able to book this hotel on Priceline for less than $300 a night during the holiday season. The building is grand, directly across the street from Lincoln Center,and steps from the subway. The decor is beautiful. The rooms are nice (and standard size for NYC). The staff is efficient and professional. There is also a nice lobby level bar with seating on two floors and a very happening roof top club (lines around the corner well into the night).

I really wanted to love this hotel.

If only someone had paid as much attention to the sound proofing as they did the decor.

We checked in on a Thursday. We were given a room on the first floor (one up from the lobby). At 3:30 am Friday morning, I just couldn't stand it anymore. The street sweepers, sanitation trucks, and some strange metal scraping sound permeated the room - earplugs did nothing. I can now say without doubt that New York recycles because I heard every can and bottle as it was dumped into the truck. The desk staff was very apologetic and moved our belongings into a nicer room on the seventh floor by the time we returned to the hotel on Friday evening. The seventh floor proved to be much quieter Friday night. Too bad it did not last.

Saturday evening was bad. A guest at the club became upset and proceeded to park his car in front of the hotel - and honk his horn for over an hour (at 3 AM)- until the hotel FINALLY called the police. When the police arrived, it was though they were having a conversation with the unhappy club goer at the foot of our bed.

So, to sum up our review. Looks and location get an A++, soundproofing gets an F. If hotel management reads this - Please invest in better windows and some soundproofing! You will have much happier (and repeat) guests. The rest is just lipstick without sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 7th-9th floor are a safer bet (the 11th floor is a club) and if sleep is more important...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2012 via mobile

If it weren't for the ridiculous bathrooms, this would be a very good place to stay IF you get a standard room for under $200. However, due to a "safety issue" (I asked), half the shower door has been removed in all bathrooms and as a result, the entire small bathroom gets completely soaked, and I mean soaked, when you take a shower. Won't stay here again knowing that I have to spend ten minutes mopping up the lake that forms after every shower.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 2 December 2012

This was a pretty neat hotel and it had a club on the top floor that was really hopping on the weekend on Saturday night. Subway was really close and the concierges were very helpful and many places right around the corner to eat and a short walk to central park!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends