“Great location, Good Concierge Service”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #351 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Stayed here in January for two nights with my husband and two children. I was in town for business, and the company chose the hotel. I wouldn't have picked it myself since the neighborhood is not one of my favorites, but it ended up being a good choice. Our room was fine. The bathroom was tiny but well appointed, and the room was satisfactory and relatively quiet for New York. Rooms in NYC hotels are always small. The concierge was fabulous- he spent a good twenty minutes getting us a dinner reservation at 6 PM on a Saturday night in the neighborhood, which was mobbed because of performances at Lincoln Center. We enjoyed access to Central Park, and when there was a problem with our room it was fixed promptly. The parking was ridiculously expensive- $60 a night, and the room wasn't cheap either, so were I paying myself I would certainly choose a different property, but overall it was a nice enough stay. There is no restaurant in the hotel- rather there is a seafood restaurant on the second floor, but I'm not even sure if they serve breakfast. And internet access in the rooms is expensive and terrible. But there is a lot to do in the neighborhood, and if you are interested in spending time in Central Park, or visiting Lincoln Center, this isn't a bad choice.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PSU_travel_mom
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear PSU_travel_mom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure to host you during your business trip to New York. Our restaurant, Ed’s Chowder House is open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I apologize that you were not made aware of this during your stay. It is great to hear that our concierge was able to help you on a busy Saturday evening. Thank you for the positive comments in your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire the next time you are in New York.

Regards,

Joseph Rauer
Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (6,250)

Reviewed 7 February 2013

I stayed at the Empire Hotel summer of 2012. This was another work comp stay and I was really excited it opened up since I had wanted to stay there for a few years now.

It’s definitely a pretty hotel, however it is also pretty small. I had a wonderful view of Lincoln Center and the Century 21 beckoning me to come in and shop. My first impression upon entering the room – it felt musty and “damp.” The AC was working so I knew it wasn’t the humidity. Even my pillow had a cold-damp feel, though it was dry….the bathroom had an Eastern feel with the use of bamboo-look flooring – really simple but very small. The shower stall was nice and the shower head was larger than most, but not the “raining” experience I had heard about. One nice thing about the hotel is the rooftop. It has a nice view of the city and the bar did make good drinks.

One morning I had needed the iron – the room didn’t come with one for some reason. I had called them as soon as I had gotten up and even after 45 minutes, they still had not arrived. I called the front desk to remind them and someone had arrived within the next 10 minutes. Of course, by then, I didn’t have time to really iron my clothes…

Though I loved the location, overall I was disappointed in the hotel – it didn’t exceed in my expectations. And this isn’t b/c of the iron incident, but the room just did not feel clean.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Twice a year every New York City fashion girl prepares for a whirlwind of shows, parties and FASHION. Since the shows moved to Lincoln Center the Empire Hotel has been the place I go to the most between shows to speak with my fellow fashion colleagues, relax and take in all the excitement of fashion week.

I am so looking forward starting this week to doing just that. The lobby bar at the Empire has got to be one of the best places to congregate during fashion week. Not only is the setting impressive but they always have something fashion related going on. I can go there during the day and get work done before I go to the shows and at night I can enjoy one of their amazing cocktails and other yummy things on their menu.

Aside from the great ambiance I'm also looking forward to seeing their great staff again. Frank sure is a site for sore eyes and a complete sweetheart. Always remembers what I like to have and the smile is always bright. And if you want to talk about a personality, ask for Aaron. He really takes a very pro-active approach to the bar and always makes each of us fashion people feel welcome. He always goes the extra mile when he notices that things are hectic and directs the rest of the staff like a true maestro.

Can't wait to see everyone starting tomorrow!!!! xx

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Every time I come to NYC, I stay at The Empire Hotel. My very first stay at the hotel far exceeded my expectations - from the decor to the graciousness of the staff and attention to detail. I have had the pleasure of dealing with the manger Don most often who is always incredibly accomodating. I now frequent the hotel about two to three times a month and can honestly say that every aspect of each stay consistently exceeds my expectations. I tell ALL my friends and business associates to stay at The Empire Hotel!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tiny1Nyc

Dear Tiny1Nyc,

Thank you for the great review from your stay at The Empire. As Assistant General Manager, I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us. I will share your comments with our team as they always appreciate guest recognition. Thank you as well for mentioning Director of Front Office, Don Chatham. We appreciate your loyalty to The Empire and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,

Joseph Rauer
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 5 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel in January 2012 for one night. I had tickets to the tv show "The View" and this hotel was close. We had a junior suite on the 3rd floor and it was very nice. Very large room. Huge windows. Overall, It was a nice stay but I have to say it was very loud outside while I was trying to sleep and you can hear everything through the windows. I am not used to having 100 taxi's and 200 buses outside my bedroom window though :) I think there may have been a bus stop directly below my window so the stop and start of the buses was loud and I had trouble falling alseep.
Other than that, very clean and nice spacious room. VERY easy walk to anything! Best buy was directly across the street, which came in handy when I forgot to pack my phone charger.
You can actually walk just a few blocks to the tv studio too! Right across the street looked like the ballet. A few good eateries around too. We did not eat in the hotel.
We used valet for our car (which was brand new) and it was returned with a HUGE dent/scraped on the passenger side the next day and we called the hotel to go over this and had to send pictures in, etc and get estimates. What a mess!!! We will get it fixed though on their dime and rightly so!! Beware of that!!!

Also, one small thing was the shower. Very large showerhead which was nice but there is no DOOR !! I am not sure if they realize how COLD it gets in the shower regardless of how HOT the water is, if you have no shower DOOR to close. Yikes!! I was shivering the entire time. No shower curtain and only a half of a piece of glass covering half of the tub area and then the rest is just exposed to the room and therefore, COLD.

The staff is VERY nice though. The location is good and the cleanliness was good.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple