“Disappointing second visit”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #340 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 December 2017

I first visited this hotel in 2011 and had no complaints, so I thought I would book into this hotel again as it had a good location and I thought it was a good hotel on my first visit, however these were not my thoughts when leaving after our second visit.
The room itself was ok, although it was absolutely boiling (yes, even in December) and the heating system in the hotel is absolutely old school, plus it is so loud I had to sleep with ear plugs in.
WiFi was free in room when I visited in 2011, now it is chargeable in room and only free in the lobby. Another money making idea, which is frustrating.
I would say I wouldn’t visit this hotel again, unfortunately.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Johanna B, Front Office Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2017

Thank you for your valuable review. Your feedback will be passed on to our executive office.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,387)

Reviewed 15 December 2017

The staff at the front desk was great. Sophy took great care of me at check-in, found me a room when mine wasn't ready, and remembered me when I called to get my car the next day! While my room was larger than most, the rooms are generally pretty small based on my friends' experience.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Johanna B, Front Office Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

Thank you for your wonderful review! We hope to see you soon in the near future.

Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

This is the seventh time l have been to the Empire Hotel.
My room was so humid it took my breath away with the smell and all my hanging clothes stank.
To add insult to injury l had a lot of money stolen from my case.
It was investigated l was told and the upshot was lit was my fault and l must’ve lost it somewhere else.
Great no ?
The staff was interviewed l was told and big surprise no one came in my room, well actually they did and when they saw my case opened where the money was they closed the door!
Obviously!!!
So there we are !
I let you judge for yourself !
Honesty is not the culture of the Empire Hotel and the client is far from being king!
Very sad indeed!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Johanna B, Front Office Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2017

Thank you for your valuable review. We understand your frustration in this matter. This was brought to the executive office, our staff did a complete investigation and nothing was found.

Reviewed 12 December 2017

The Empire Hotel is well located, which is about all it has going for it.
The bathrooms were the most surprising I have seen in decades of travel and certainly at this price.
The water never got hot. Every single shower was freezing cold. I tested the temperature 3-4 times a day over our 4 day stay and never got a hot shower, or even hot water to wash up.
The junior suite had a tiny bath with a crazy shower. One ceiling bulb (shower light broken). The railing was for a normal sliding shower door, but had the near side anchored and the far side removed. This makes it hard to turn on the cold shower, and leads to water all over the floor (see photos). What were they thinking? Also why put a soap dish to jab into your thigh? They put faucets on the sink too low to wash, but perfect to spray water off drain onto your legs and floor.

The pull out couch was bent, ragged and not pre-made (see photo). It was miserably uncomfortable.
For some reason, vacuum cleaners littered the hallway for entire 4-day stay. Asked about it and one outside our door was moved.

Crazy prices: $3 K cup, $15-$20 for movie, charging for internet.
Twice waited 15 min at busy lobby bar with one barman. Asked about the roof bar, but then it became “closed” in the afternoon during the 5 min it took us to drop bags.

To recap: good location, noisy, freezing cold showers, non-functional bathrooms, lack of concern for guest.

Room Tip: lower floors are really noisy. check everything including bathroom, and pull-out beds
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Johanna B, Front Office Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Thank you for your valuable review. We apologize for any inconvenience we have caused you during your stay. Your feedback will be discussed with upper management.

Reviewed 11 December 2017

The room was really a closet. The bathroom door just missed the toilet. You had to maneuver to get in the bathroom. The AC/Heating unit was making painful noises all night. You're paying for a lobby that you never use. The view was a another roof top full of construction garbage.

Room Tip: Make sure you question them regarding the location and size of the room
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Johanna B, Front Office Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Thank you for your valuable review.