“Utterly fascinating.”

Holographic Studios
Ranked #374 of 1,153 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Holographic Studios is the world's oldest gallery of 3D holography. The gallery is open free to the public on weekday afternoons. We also offer classes, gifts, and custom hologram portraits. See our website for detail on our guided tours of our gallery and subterranean mad scientist laser laboratory.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Everything about this place/tour was fascinating.

Not just the holograms themselves, but also the history of the building and the actual building itself (complete with basement). Dr Laser offers lots of explanation and demonstrations on holography and the similarities and difference between this and conventional photography.

If you pick the deluxe tour, you get to develop your own hologram (provided you don't mess up). If you have any interest in photography and have never done dark room work, it's well worth it, especially since you get to keep the hologram afterwards.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"tourists"
"nyc"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was one of the highlights of my trip to New York. I was never particularly interested in the big tourist attractions or seeing the towering buildings, I want to see all the cool stuff that is going to change how I look at the world. This is one of those places. Doc Laser will welcome you into his shop, wow you with the science of holograms, and will show you where the magic happens for a fee. He also runs classes, which had I done my research and found earlier, I would have taken.

Definitely go. It is very easy to find and you'll be amazed.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

Dr Laser sure does know his stuff. He delivers lots of information in an accessible and funny format. He also does not speak down to his audience so if you have some knowledge about Lasers and Holograms he will tailor to you. Also tells an interesting story about the NYC building he owns. If you are a bit claustrophobic downstairs may be a little much for you as it was for one of my family.

Great NYC experience that is away from the tourist traps. No discounts for kids.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

We paid for the demonstration online and he sent me an email asking when we would like to come.
Afterwards we got explanation how to find the place.

The demonstration by "Dr. Lasar" was very funny and enjoyable.

Recommend for those who want to do something different in New York rather than the usual sites.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 August 2017

What a way to start our vacation in NYC! After dropping our bags off in our hotel, we immediately headed out to our tour with Holographic Studios. Dr. Laser was a blast, with tons of quips, jokes and stories sprinkled in throughout the tour. We saw tons of different holograms, learned how they were made and were able to see who all he has worked with to make his holograms. With names like Isaac Asimov, Cher, Goodyear and more, you know he is the 'go-to' guy for these things!

My husband is a materials scientist, and what was great is that Dr. Laser was able to talk shop with my husband and also explain things in a way that I, with no industry experience, was able to understand. Plus, Dr. Laser sent us home with some fun hologram pieces to enjoy!

We would very highly recommend the experience! It was a unique opportunity and so much more fun than the overpriced, overcrowded touristy stuff the Times Square area offers. Very, very, very well worth it!