“Excellent Food and Great Value”
Review of Le Viet Cafe

Ranked #8,146 of 14,590 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed 17 November 2015

I first visited this place soon after it opened and yesterday returned for lunch with a friend. We shared two appetisers, spiced calamari and salt and pepper shrimp. Then I had beef pho, while my friend went for the vegetarian version.

The appetisers were delicious and flavourful; the calamari a little on the spicy side but not excessively, just the way I like it. A large complimentary glass of ice water, promptly refilled by a friendly waitress, came in handy.

The portions were HUGE. The appetisers practically filled us but we had no choice but to 'suffer' through our phos. These arrived sizzling hot and were ENORMOUS. Mine had a generous helping of beef slices floating on top of a bowlful of noodles. Sprouts, mint leaves (fresh and plentiful), lime and delicious sauce (a combination of two kinds) arrived on the side. The stock (oxtail) was rich in flavour and structure.

As a carnivore, I am sceptical of vegetarian dishes but my friend convinced me to taste the vegetable broth. It was heavenly: rich, flavourful, buttery and, at the same time, light. Tofu slices looked very appetising and I will try this version next time.

Regrettably, neither of us could finish all the noodles but we will when we come again for dinner!

There was one more pleasant surprise in store: the bill was only about $37 with tax!

This place is a great value. The food is delicious and the portions are huge.

My only regret is that I live and work too far away to come here regularly.

Reviewed 22 October 2015

The facade and branding of this little cafe is misleading. It is stylish with attention to detail. I am not a bahn mi expert but have had some very good representations over the years. This one made with chicken was without cucumber or cilantro as mentioned on the menu. The bun was similar to what you get at Subway and in no way was like a french baquette. The chicken was untrimmed and for the most part inedible. Bad bread, bad meat, and missing components.

Reviewed 15 October 2015

A chill afternoon walk on the upper eastside of New York, found this little small take out place and want to try. They also have a small seating area. Try Veg.Pho, and summer rolls. I love the Pho broth, flavorful and good portion. Definitely will come back when I am in New York.