The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Surrey(New York City)
The Mark(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Third Ave House(New York City)
View Hotel
The Franklin(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Plaza Athenee(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Bristol Plaza(New York City)
  • Pool
Lowell Hotel(New York City)
  • Room Service
  • Fitness centre
The Melrose Hotel(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Olcott(New York City)
  • Room Service
All reviewsupper east sidebemelmans barelevator operatorelevator attendantscentral parktower roomnew yorkmadison avenuehardwood floorsclassic hotelelevator servicepublic areasfour seasonshome away from homeliving roomrooms are comfortablewe've stayed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We so enjoy going to Cafe Carlyle whenever ee visit New York.

As ever, dinner was excellent and service was very good. My husband and I shared a foie gras terrine which was excellent and then we both chose the classic sole meneuiere for our entrees.

I was really looking forward to hearing Judy Collins perform the Cafe Carlyle show and I must say that I had hoped she would play more of her own music. She played only two of her own pieces. She played a preponderance of Sondheim pieces which was interesting but not the Judy Collins show I had hoped for.

Her final song was Send in the Clowns, so thank goodness she sang that as a closing piece.

Judy Collins is 79 years old... God bless her that she is still singing. I just wish we were hearing her classic music of her past and our memories.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2beans2000
Anthony M, Managing Director at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear 2beans2000,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback on your experience with us as well as fellow travelers! Thank you for spending the evening with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We very much enjoyed our stay at The Carlyle. Our suite was very comfortable and well-maintained by the house-keeping staff. Some of the furnishings though are rather shabby and in need of replacement as were some of the drapes. I expect better from a hotel of The Carlyle's quality and reputation. While the temperature in our suite was perfectly comfortable, the A/C control pads were at best poorly responsive and I'm doubtful that either was functioning properly

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Rosewood Hotels & Resorts

Dear bdsaly,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay overall and certainly apologize for any frustration related to the HVAC in your accommodations. We are in the process of updating our systems throughout the hotel and hope to welcome you back again once it is complete! Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Booked a deluxe suite for two nights, reserved through an agency that is a Rosewood preferred partner, guaranteeing upgrade upon booking. Hindsight, wish they just directed me to another 5 star property that truly provides five star services and maintain the entire room portfolio as such.

Checked in on 76th Street. Driver removed bags from vehicles. No doorman or bell staff was present. Driver went into the property to recruit assistance. Check in seamless and elevator staff consistently personable and engaging. "Deluxe" suite was anything but. Room was in dire need of renovation with dated furniture, inoperable and ill secured window treatments, exposed wiring in baseboards, peeling wall paint, etc. Contacted the front desk for a room change. Staff was very accommodating. However rooms offered were of the same condition. While we did change the room as one offered was significantly larger. there was nothing luxurious, riddled with the same concerns noted above but now later to be discovered with a corner of the shower filled with black mold. Daytime housekeeping staff was professional, housekeeping staff during turndown quite unimpressive. Late diners, housekeeper was anxious to just provide waters and ask" you are all set, right" with no offer to return even after informing her we had dinner reservations at 9pm.

Room service food was average, arriving hot. Breakfast room service waiter was wonderful. Night room service needed some professional training, lackadaisical in nature with no semblance of professionalism.

Upon check-out, porter was prompt. Met him in lobby, provided him with a gratuity and I was informed the luggage was loaded in the car to the left of exit by the doorman. Upon exit, there was once again no staff, no vehicle but there was one piece of our luggage sitting on the sidewalk with the shoppings bags hung over the extended handle.

Rosewood markets themselves as a top luxury brand, known for service and well appointed interiors. This is now the second time the brand has fell far short of that goal, the first being our visit to the newly opened property in London. This client is going to stick with Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental going forward........

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed at the Carlyle for three nights last weekend. I was upgraded to a suite because my room wasn't ready when I arrived. Higher floor facing east so the view was of rooftops, but the suite itself was large, comfortable, and clean. The minibar was stocked with things I liked, they kept bottles of water on each nightstand and the toiletries were Keihl's, which is what I normally use.

Service was flawless. From the prompt elevator operators and bellmen to the friendly front desk staff, every request was fulfilled immediately. When I was concerned about my suitcase being overweight for my flight, they promptly brought out a scale to confirm.

On this visit, I had breakfast in the restaurant, drinks at Bemelmans, and tea in the Gallery. (I've been to the Cafe Carlyle several times in the past but not on this trip, as much as I would have liked to see Lena Hall.) The restaurant and Gallery were quiet and relaxing even though there were a lot of guests. The breakfast buffet is terrific and my friend who's a tea aficionado was very pleased with the extensive selection available.

I know the hotel's history and the long list of important people who have stayed here, and I can see why. You feel like you're home.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Dear mapleleaves8,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel and your experience! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly. It was our pleasure to welcome you and a delight to read your kind feedback! We hope to see you again very soon. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We had dinner at the wonderful Carlyle Restaurant on a previous New York visit and the doorman sent us back to where we were staying in the hotel's house limo that was available when we were leaving. You don't forget that type of attention.

Therefore, when we planned a family 5 star trip back to New York, we knew we were going to book The Carlyle Hotel. We booked a 2 bedroom Deluxe Suite for 4 nights, but when we arrived at check in time, we were told that the people in our suite had a late check out and hadn't left yet. The staff took our bags up to a "temporary" suite for our use, and we were told we were being upgraded to a Premier Suite. Although it took a couple of hours to get into our actual Suite, it was worth the wait (and we went for a planned neighbourhood walk anyway during that time). The upgraded Premier Suite was very large (full kitchen, dining room, living room, 2 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms), and gorgeously recently decorated and full of antiques. The ambience and views were so spectacular (and there was a grand piano) that we didn't turn any of the 3 tv's on in 5 days.

We had room service for dinner on two nights when we had early concerts to go to. As the room service comes from the menus available in the hotel's own restaurants (The Carlyle Restaurant, Bemelman's Bar and Cafe Carlyle), the food was first class and piping hot, not to mention on time and served with such attention to detail. Once again, we were offered the hotel's house limo on our two concert nights by the doormen, as they were available.

There are so many people to thank from the front desk, to the housekeeping people, concierge, doormen, bellhops and elevator men. We felt these loyal employees all made us feel that we really were in a home away from home and not just in one of many 5 star hotels in New York. The Carlyle should never change it's winning formula and much is due to the employees, and also the beautiful upkeep of the main floor with the shining lobby, The Carlyle Cafe, Carlyle Restaurant, The Gallery and Bemelman's Bar. Interior design of the suites and guest rooms is also to be mentioned, as the furnishings and linens are so comfortable, and interiors were beautifully and noticeably updated in our Suite.

I could go on, but needless to say, we can't wait for our next trip to New York and stay at The Carlyle! Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

Dear KathyO1979,

Thank you for taking the time to share in such vivid detail your recent visit to The Carlyle! We appreciate your documenting of each aspect of your visit to share with fellow travelers - what a lovely picture you've painted and we're glad to know you enjoyed your time here so thoroughly. It was certainly our pleasure! We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again on your next trip to the Big Apple! Wishing you all the best!