“Utterly delightful”

Ranked #375 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Knoxville,TN
“Utterly delightful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

Charming little hotel. Friendly staff. Room small but immaculate. For the price, and for a lot more, you can't beat this hotel. No reason to stay elsewhere unless you want a guy with a waistcoat unloading your luggage, or some guy with a tip jar playing a piano. Really, really pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

I have stayed in NYC every year since 1998 and this hotel is by far the best value I have come across. Dont stay for room service or rambling suites because they aint here, stay because it is Upper East Side, bang next to Madison Ave shops, museums and Central Park. Staff helped us with ice hockey tickets and delivery restaurants and were there for us 24/7. And $112 a night booked via their website? Please. NB We didnt use the window mounted AC.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank UKBoyDKGirl
DuBois, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

This hotel is very cute. The prices are steep as it is everywhere in New York City but at least here the beds are very comfortable and the rooms are super clean. Special rate was buy 2 nights get the 3rd night free. Didn't try the free breakfast but did have some cheese in the afternoon. Not much to chose from but it's a nice touch. This hotel is very close to the subway which was perfect for the short commute to a conference at Mt Sinai. Shopping is plentiful all around the hotel. Our stay was wonderful and we would stay here again. The only negative item to mention is we couldn't control the heat and the pinging that came on everytime the heat started was unbelievably loud. I imagine this is not to be unexpected in an old building but I'm sure glad I'm not a light sleeper.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank stevensk01
Jesup, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

I travel with oxygen. I emailed the manager two weeks prior to our arrival and he recommended a local DME to provide supplemental oxygen. It worked out flawlessly, thanks.

Upon our arrival at around 9:00 am we were way to early to check in. The bellman secured our bags for us and we had breakfast at the hotel. We then made our first foray into the city. As this was our first time in the city we of course were in awe of it all. We went straight away to shop, around noon my batteries ran out on my oxygen concentrator so back to the hotel by taxi.

We settled in to the parlor at the Franklin to recharge my battery when the bellman told us our room was ready(three hours early). We stayed in room 91, a large room with a large King Size Bed that was to die for. The Bed and Bedding were wonderful. The room was clean. The bathroom was full sized with a great Hot Shower.

At every turn the staff went out of their way to be friendly and accommodating. Several times we asked for a car service to go to various places. The cars were always on time with friendly NON-aggressive drivers. One time the car service sent a limo to pick us up for diner which made me a hero.

I will stay here again and recommend this Hotel to everyone.

Thank you Hotel Franklin for a wonderful stay, you made my wife's dream trip truly a dream.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
NY NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel mid December for one night. Upon arrival, I think I walked into a chaotic staff moment; The front desk attendant was speaking very loudly at another staffer and I had to wait until things settled down. I was early for the room (2:15 for a 3pm check in) and I was told the room was not ready but I could use the bathroom and wait in the lounge. The latter was tiny with no water or cheer (like flowers which are in some of the Tripadvisor photos). Another customer joined me as we both waited. The room was quite clean and nicely appointed with pleasantly scented soap, shampoo etc. Although on the small side, it was more than adequate and the bed/pillows were super comfortable. The TV remote didn't work which was annoying but no complaints. After I checked out, I realized that the hotel offers breakfast buffet and wine and cheese. I returned to the hotel room one night and the cardkey to the door had been deactivated. The staffer did not think this was unusual at all, but it was inconvenient given the long day I'd had and the fact that my feet were sore. The Front Desk attendant never bothered to describe the amenities offered which was a shame. The staff is friendly almost to the point of being casual. An earlier review mentioned a helpful staffer opening the elevator door for them; No one did this during my stay, in fact, the front desk guy and the lobby attendant who were sitting side by side at the counter only 4 feet from the elevator merely pointed and told me to pull on the door. In checking prices of boutique hotels in Manhattan there appear to be many other hotels with similar amenities and prices. I will check out other places on future trips but would also return to the Franklin.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business