“I have never had a problem with this place---”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Mansfield

The Mansfield
Ranked #348 of 467 Hotels in New York City
CT - USA
“I have never had a problem with this place---”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I have stayed here many times on business. At this price point The Mansfield is as good as it gets in NYC. My experience is all of the 44th Street hotels are at about this caliber. A competitor in this price range with larger but not nicer rooms would be The Dylan.

I have never had a problem with this place---you'll need to pay over $500US a night to get into a larger room in midtown. One plus for The Mansfield is that the interior (small) rooms look out into a light shaft - no view but quiet. You will appreciate this at 3am on trash night in NYC where the constant beeping and loading noise from trash trucks working the street below have kept me awake more nights than I'd care to remember.

I think this place is perfect for business travelers as it is in the heart of midtown and will not raise eyebrows on the expense report. For tourists be forewarned that if you booked one of the cheaper rooms its going to be small. Fine for a night but it could be an issue if you go for a week. That said it is not a major tourist or convention hotel which I am sure is a plus for some.

The location is in the business district on 44th which has several really cool old hotels on the block.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Tom2002a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Before booking I read some reviews that said the rooms were small but then read that a lot of people were recieving upgrades to the slightly bigger rooms, so I took a gamble being that it was off-season (February). It didn't pay off! I got stuck with the Chamber Petit I booked, a room nothing more than an oversized closet with a double bed in it. Now lets get to two people trying to sleep in a double bed, you can't. My wife and I arn't big people but that room didn't offer enough size to move about the room without always being in each others way. Getting ready for shows, dinner, or to go out and start the day was a burden. Wife complained about no sizable mirror in the bathroom for make-up, only 1 towel hook to hang stuff and very, very tight quarters at the sink. The wierd bathroom door didn't really offer any privacy either. We come to New York at least once a year for the past several and this by far is the smallest room we have ever encountered (no exaggeration) and we almost always book the bouteque types. Also, the mini-fridge was very loud when it would cycle on and we had to keep the windows open at night to stay cool because there is no thermostat you can control. The heat coming out of that room vent must have been 100 degrees. Overall, I was not comfortable in that room at all.

Now to the hotel as a whole. The hotels location is awesome, right near Grand Central (1 block), Broadway (2 blocks)...Walking distance to everything. The staff are very polite and the 24 hours free coffee and tea machine is a very nice touch. We ate breakfast in the quant little library room in the hotel a few mornings. Does lack a doorman most of the time though but I'm not to good to open one for myself, it just helps a lot when your carting luggage or shopping bags. I didn't use the Mbar as I over heard other guests saying the drink prices were even above NYC standards. Another nice touch is we were offered free bottled water a check in and another time when we approached the desk. The street it's off of is surprisingly quiet.

Room Tip: Don't book a Petit Chamber or a Queen Chamber for that matter! If you want to be comfortable, go...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim B
The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We had the total reverse experience of Patty N who qualified the Mansfield as great value but disappointing service. Staff was very welcoming and supportive, helped us change rooms when we found traces of smoke in our room, and were very courteous during our stay. The rooms were not as advertised - in our case we had rooms that were rundown and looked like they desperately needed another refurbishment. The shades would not close properly and we slept in glaring lights of office rooms of the opposite building. There was a lot of noise from what was probably a heater or air flow mechanism from another building as well. Everything looked rundown and the shaving mirror in the bathroom was kaput. We thought the hotel was more or less like this - the other reviews show that at least some rooms are still up to standards. A more personal problem is that we did not really like the lights in the rooms and in the hotel in general - it seems to be a design issue to make reading more difficult and to turn pushing the buttons in the elevator into a guessing game. But symbolic for our stay: this was the case in one elevator, whereas the other had sufficient lightning! I would recommend checking your room before accepting it and looking at the shades in particular, as well as the general state of the room. Noise is always available in generous quantities in New York, so that should probably not be a deciding factor.
Location is great - very central, just a short walk from Grand Central and from Time Square.
Again, compliments to the staff - I witnessed a medical emergency of a guest and how staff went out of their way to help - so either the previous review did wonders or the disappointing experience was due to other factors...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Wintberg53

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Got a very great deal for staying in this stately hotel in a great location. Cannot say anything bad about the room quality - everything was as presented on the web and our stay was very comfortable.

One thing of note was the callous, nearly indifferent service received. Once in the room I realized that I haven't packed a toothbrush, I dialled the Room Service and after about 15 rings I got a response. When I asked if it was possible to get a tooth-brush, an iron and board and per chance, a shoe shine kit- I was cursed at in Italian and hung up on.

I was later informed by the Front Desk that I should have called Housekeeping for such items (which aside from the iron and board were not available). However upon informing them of the inappropriate telephone 'etiquette' of their Room Service staff, the Concierge seemed quite unmoved and not at all apologetic. I would return here as I stay in hotels out of necessity and not to be pampered but those who like to feel like valued guests, please lower your expectations when booking a stay here.

Room Tip: There were some booking complications. Be diligent and cautious.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I booked a room at The Mansfield for a long weekend in Feb 2012 and was glad I did. There is no shortage of hotels in the area but The Mansfield was great value for money. The location is unbelievably awesome...turn right out of the hotel and walk for 30 seconds and you'll be on the famous 5th Avenue...home of all the great shops and lets face it, people heading to NYC for a long weekend are probably there for the shopping and the sights. From 5th Avenue, you can hit the Rockefeller Center and do the Top of the Rock tour, walk down to the Empire State Building or go for a walk around Central Park. Turn left out of the hotel and walk for 5 mins and you're on Times Square...and I mean right on Times Square...right in the middle...fantastic during the day and even better at night when it's lit up.

The room I was given was on the 4th floor facing out the front and onto W44 Street...I wasn't expecting a view because the city is all highrise so bear that in mind, but there was nothing wrong with my view. The room comes with a mini bar (price list is in the room) flatscreen TV, comfortable double bed and a nice bathroom with plenty of towels. Maid service was offered everyday and the staff are fantastic throughout. The hotel has a reading room with free tea and coffee and the wi-fi signal is all over the building and is fast enough for any use. You can come and go as and when you please and staff are always on hand to assist.

I would highly recommend The Mansfield hotel to anyone visiting the city on New York.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo