“Bad encounter at Waldorf Astoria NY”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #257 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I would like to report my experience in this hotel as an alone business European woman.
I accomodated 3 nights at 37th floor of the Wardorf Astoria tower. The tower and lift entrance is allowed only through the room key. During my last evening I was following a couple (an old man and a middle age blond woman staying al 29th floor) to enter in the elevators area benefiting from their key. The woman assaulted me in a bad way asking for my key and my right to stay there. On the lift she required me to select the floor for her as her servant and continued to stess me on this subject. I preferred to stay silent in front to her awful show. At my leaving she addressed me a prostitute appellation. It was first time in my life and wherever. But it is unacceptable this situation happened in a hotel like Wardolf Astoria where a guest is looking for the best also in term of safety. So my advice to everybody is to prefer a boutique hotel instead of this big and impersonal hotel where, in spite of the appearance, all can happen as in a metro.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank nayanaya
Write a ReviewReviews (11,545)

Reviewed 4 August 2011

The first time I visited NY I stayed in this hotel and feel in love with New York so I do have a soft spot for the Waldorf Astoria. Stayed in some fabulous hotels here but they have been a bit pricey and although I wanted a five star hotel I didn't want to pay the exorbitant price of the St Regis or Peninsular Hotel (great hotels by the way).

I loved this Hotel then and I love it now. It has atmosphere and presence and that old New York feel about it. Yes the wall paper is slightly peeling off in the bathroom and the room keys don't always work but that is part of its charm.

We upgraded to the Towers with a complimentary breakfast. The breakfast is lovely for two woman, orange juice, granola and strawberries hit the spot for me but if I was with a guy I wouldn't have bothered.

We did have a couple of hic ups during our stay but they were dealt with efficiently and certainly wouldn't deter me from staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank susie2jeeps
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. First class all the way. Loved taking in the history of the place and all the old photographs on the walls. Just loved it. Do it at least once in your life - after all, it is the Waldorf!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This was a grand old hotel in a great location. The lobby and reception areas are lovely and the Empire and Vanderbilt ballrooms rooms have been beautifully redone. The rooms are another story.
We had a small king room on the 11th floor that faced other rooms so it was rather dark and musty. The room had most modern amenities, a safe, flat screen TV with dubious reception, internet access and minibar but overall it was in desperate need of renovation. The furnishings and carpeting were tired and stained, the wallpaper was peeling, the doors were old, cracked and had been painted over one too many times. The bathroom was outdated, small and needed refurbishing; on a positive note, the water pressure in the shower was great and the bed was comfortable! We were there with a group and learned that the room sizes and quality ran the gamut and that not all rooms had safes. Service was good, check in/out efficient.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank HobokenGlobetrotter
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I love the Waldorf, and it is the only place I stay in NYC for business or pleasure. It is perfectly located, grand, clean, comfortable, luxurious, and iconic. As a frequent guest and Hilton Diamond Member, I especially appreciate their Diamond Reception area. The staff is fantastic. Jackie in paticular always goes above and beyond to make sure tha I am happy and have everything I need to maximize my time in NYC. What an outstanding asset for an outstand hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business