Waldorf Astoria New York
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
W New York(New York City)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel 48LEX New York(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
New York Marriott East Side(New York City)
  • Room Service
The Benjamin(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
Oakwood Cosmopolitan(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
San Carlos Hotel(New York City)
  • Room Service
The Kimberly Hotel(New York City)
11,560 results
All reviewsbull and bearpeacock alleyiconic hotelpark avenuenew yorkart decoroom servicemain lobbybeautiful lobbyan upgradechrysler buildingone bedroom suitecorner roomgrand central stationrockefeller centertimes squareoscars
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2005

I was fortunate to stay at the Waldorf=Astoria on a discounted rate through one of the bidding sites. I could not have been more pleased. The hotel is stunning in so many ways. That art deco look and intricate tiling in the lobby took my breath away.

Maurice at the front desk quickly and efficiently checked me in to room 632, which was quite small but very comfortable. I travelled solo so it was totally adequate. Everything worked very well in the room, although the internet access service via the TV leaves much to be desired and probably isn't worth the $10/day fee. Bring your laptop instead.

I don't think the 6th floor has been remodeled very recently as the carpets were quite worn. Other floors have nicer carpet.

Finally, if you fly into JFK, take the AirTrain! VERY EASY connection to the Waldorf. Train to Jamaica station, then the E subway. Five or six stops later, you're in Manhattan and at the Lexington/51 station...2 short blocks from the hotel! All for $7!

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank CajunWave
Reviewed 25 July 2005

We just returned from 5 nights at the Waldorf=Astoria, from July 18th through July 25th, 2005. Please note that this was one of the hottest times of the year in New York, even by the natives standards. My wife booked our room (1227) through Priceline and we received a rate of $150 a night. She called the hotel directly and requested a corner room with two double beds and a small refrigerator, and was told they would do their best to honor her requests. When we arrived at the hotel, we found every one of her requests had been filled. The staff was excellent and extremely polite. The room was very comfortable with two good sized closets and a large bathroom; furnished very nicely with excellent bed linens. The only complaint was that the room never got what I would call very cold. (In the hotel's defense, none of the shops or restaurants we went to in the entire city were more than just "cool".) You have to remember this is a very old and quaint hotel. I did hear other guests in the elevators complaining about the lack of AC. My guess is that New York is not extremely prepared for this type of temperature. Stay away from the mini-bar($5.50 for a canned Coke?). All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2004
6  Thank Lubfry
Reviewed 22 July 2005

I low-balled on Priceline and ended up staying at the Waldorf. After reading some reviews here and elsewhere I was concerned about what we would be getting for our money...thoughts of the broom closet swept my mind.

When I called the hotel before arriving to make sure I would be getting a room with 2 beds, instead of one King they were Not helpful and somewhat rude. "You get the room that Priceline has set aside". However, upon arrival, they were very accomodating.

The room was nice, aged but that did add to the ambience of this old grande dame hotel. The bathroom was Very large , there was plenty of closet and storage space. The room had city views and was quiet for a Midtown location. The location is the best for a stay in NY.

Service was excellent, the beds comfy, real china for your coffee an unbelievable lobby and all for $125 a night!

Only complaint...the coffee in the room was awful! Just hope I can score another bargain for this hotel again!

12  Thank FHuggies
A TripAdvisor Member
Mt. Vernon, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2005

Ever since I saw the film, I have loved the idea of taking a weekend break at this famous hotel. When my husband surprised me with Broadway tickets for our anniversary, it seemed the perfect opportunity for our own “weekend at the Waldorf.”

LOCATION
Location....location...location....the Waldorf-Astoria is located on Park Avenue, between 49th and 50th streets. This location is very accessible by public transportation (Grand Central Terminal is just about 4-5 blocks down) and very handy to shopping, tourist attractions, theater district, etc.

ARRIVAL
I booked a Concierge Suite through the hotel website for $335/night. When we arrived at the Waldorf, I couldn’t stop staring at the beautiful Park Avenue lobby and the gorgeous “Wheel of Life” floor mosaic. We then went from that lobby into the wood-paneled Main Lobby. The centerpiece of this lobby was the very ornate historic clock. The contrast between the two lobbies was very interesting, with the Park Ave Lobby being very feminine and pastel, and the Main Lobby being very dark and masculine.

We made our way over to the reception desk where the courteous reception clerk checked us in immediately. It was a few minutes after 2pm and there was no line. I had casually mentioned that it was our anniversary in the comments section of the online reservation form, and to our delighted surprise, the clerk informed us that he was upgrading us to a luxury suite in the Waldorf Towers! He then directed us to the private elevator for Towers gusts. It took me a moment to realize that you had to insert your room key into a reader for the elevator to move.

ACCOMMODATIONS
After a rapid ascent, my husband and I arrived on the 29th floor and quickly found our room number, 29M. The hallway was lovely, decorated in soft pastel shades and gilt chandeliers. We opened the door and I was amazed. Immediately I realized that this was no ordinary hotel suite. We entered into a marble-floored foyer and walked straight through to a sumptuous living room. I loved the serene color scheme of light blues and aqua. One end of the room held a gracious seating area with built-in bookcases. Several large windows, dressed with exquisite valences and drapes, offered views of Park Avenue. A large, gilt-edged mirror over a marble fireplace dominated the opposite end of the room. A second seating area contained three winged chairs, sofa and coffee table. A large antique desk held leather portfolios that contained embossed stationary, post cards, room service menus and other info. A matching stand held a combined printer/fax machine. The overall décor of the room gave the feel of being in an English country house.

We walked back to the foyer and turned left into a small corridor which contained a large closet and a gorgeous green-marbled topped wet-bar that held a small refrigerator. My only complaint was that the mini-bar case took up most of the space inside, but we found enough room to house our own bottles of water, champagne, etc.

From the corridor, we entered a nice-sized bedroom where the light aqua color scheme was accentuated by darker green and rust orange in the furniture and bedspread. The king-sized bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning system worked well enough that we were able to enjoy the wonderful Frette linen bedsheets and duvet. A dressing room/boudoir was next, with a dressing table and three large size floor-to ceiling mirrored closets that were large enough to hold full-length ballgowns. Inside were two luxurious Frette bathrobes that were heavenly to lounge about in. From the boudoir, we stepped into a large marble bathroom containing a deep, soaking tub, a separate shower and a large sink/vanity. The crowning touch was a lovely silver tray bearing posh Penhaligon English bath products and shampoo. The water temperature and pressure were excellent, both in the shower and the tub, and the fluffy towels provided made it a joy to dry off.

A few minutes after we explored the suite, the doorbell rang and my husband opened it to find one of the hotel staff bearing a tray of petit-fours and strawberries, compliments of the hotel. I was very touched by the solicitous attention we were receiving. The goodies were absolutely delicious and I later found out (when we returned home and I looked up the price) that the level of suite to which we had been upgraded normally went from $739 to over a grand (depending on the time of year), per night.

DINING
The Waldorf offers quite a few options for dining. We were disappointed to learn at the time of check-in that the 4-star French restaurant, Peacock Alley was closed until November for renovations. We did enjoy a wonderful dinner and excellent cocktails at the Bull & Bear. Entree prices were in the $30-40 range, but we thoroughly enjoyed the “Angus Prime” steak and felt it deserved the hype. Other restaurants at the Waldorf currently include Oscars, the casual brasserie and Inagiku, a Japanese restaurant.

We also took advantage of the Executive Lounge, which served continental breakfast and evening hors d’oeurves. The Lounge was pleasant and some of the food choices were very tasty such as the chicken with mango and black bean salsa. Soft drinks, coffee and tea were complimentary, but alas, alcoholic drinks are not complimentary. The Lounge was very graciously and comfortably furnished, but was a little on the small side and could get a bit crowded.

On Sunday, we decided to be totally decadent and ordered breakfast through Room Service. This was very pricey, but it was a fabulous splurge. Our breakfast included a scrumptious spinach and tomato frittata, eggs & sausage, bakery basket of croissant and danish and freshly squeezed orange juice. This all arrived on a rolling cart, elegantly set with linen tablecloth and napkins, china, crystal glassware and the crowning luxury of a fragrant rose in a bud vase. Best of all, the food quickly arrived, piping hot and fresh.

SERVICE
Having read some of the reviews on this board, we were very pleased with the high level of service we received. I can honestly say that I felt the hotel lived up to the reputation of being the hotelier for presidents, kings, queens, ambassadors, etc, that it touts on its website. Whenever we encountered a staff member, even in the hallway, they wished us a pleasant good morning/evening. The housekeeper was cheerful and room service was very prompt and courteous.

All in all, my husband and I have to give the Waldorf Astoria top marks for its overall service and value. One small drawback was the high charge for parking at $45.00 a day. We would have preferred to drive into the city, but we felt that this cost was excessive, especially given that we were guests at the hotel. Apart from that point, however, we were extremely pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2005
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 July 2005

We stayed at the Waldorf (room 1424) during a meeting held there. Our airport car dropped us off at the motor entrance, sort of a "tunnel" in the middle of the hotel on the ground floor. There was luggage everywhere chained to racks. There was no staff to assist us with our luggage so we followed the signs to the lobby. The lobby and all the public areas are simply wonderful. The workmanship of craftsmen from times past really makes an impression. And impressed we were - until we arrived at our room. The standard rooms are small and have ancient heating / a/c units which are difficult to set to get a comfortable temperature. While the furnishings seemed to be in good shape, the basic room was not. Peeling paint and damaged woodwork were very noticeable. The bathroom was in poor shape. The tub had been refinished at some time in the past and the "new" coating was now peeling off in large sheets to expose the original surface. The fiberglass sink had also been painted over and black cracks were appearing for several inches in all directions around the drain. It was not at all what I expected of the Hilton "flagship". We had dinner at Oscars - two appetizers, a sandwich and a fish dish. The bill was just over $60 which seemed a bit much for what we had. The next night we ate at the Bull and Bear where we both had filets. I can't recommend the restaurants given the fact there is much better food available outside the hotel. On checkout I gave the bellman our luggage to store for 2 hours while we did checked out the sights. When we returned and went to the luggage storage area we found luggage stacked everywhere outside and down the hallway. They had no idea where our luggage was but after searching the hallway we found 3 of the 4 bags - unsecured. The fourth bag was harder to find - they gave up looking but we finally located it under another bag some distance away. I recommend if you want to see the Waldorf, stay somewhere else and stop by the Waldorf to tour the public areas - that way you might avoid a poorly maintained room like ours.

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled on business