“Did enjoy the experience of being in a historical location.”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #257 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 November 2017

The Waldorf was a Midtown East institution in New York before closing indefinitely in February 2017 - perhaps for reconstruction and refurbishment? Having stayed there over the winter we can see why renovation was indeed most necessary, at all levels. It was very disappointing and also very expensive. The Art Deco grandeur of the lobby is in marked contrast to the rather modest sized room with broken fittings in the bathroom, and unpredictable heating. Free wifi was only available in the lobby; for some reason everyone was generating static electricity, when walking, possibly due to dry winter days.

I don’t plan to stay here again but did enjoy the experience of being in the same historical location as where John and Jackie Kennedy spent the first night of their honeymoon here the Great Gatsby film (1974) and the hilarious Coming to America (1988), amongst many others.

Room Tip: unpredictable - a lottery
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (11,545)

Reviewed 24 October 2017

Great hotel. Clean. Stayed with my family on a quick NYC trip. It was everything that we hoped for...location was perfect. Kids loved the experience. Nothing negative to say at all. We will definitely be back for a Christmas visit.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank suz882
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed a few nights here for meetings. This is a classic hotel and truly lives up to the brand. The lobbies are beautiful and give the feel of a visit to the past. The best part was the bar. They serve classic drinks and the bartenders tell you all the stories of many celebrities they have waited on.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank johnnyvegas22
Reviewed 30 September 2017

I stayed one night in June for a social event honoring one of my mentors. The entire facility seemed to be decked out for the event. From the moment I walked up the stairs into the main atrium, I was struck by the opulent decor and incredible floral displays. The check-in was smooth and amiable, and I was able to get up to my room quickly. I found all the equipment to iron my Military Mess Dress (tuxedo) Uniform for the event, and had no trouble getting wifi access.
The event was one I will remember forever.. great food, all the glitterati in attendance, photo opportunities, etc... then, back to my humble existence.
I suppose it is worth the cost for the experience. Once.

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

We travelled America for a month and had a fabulous time. I was so excited to return to NY and as a treat my husband wanted to book us into a NY institution - the Waldorf Astoria. It was much more expensive than anywhere else we stayed but we felt we were in for a treat.

We arrived to the beautiful lobby and were assigned a room miles away through corridors and multiple elevators. When we finally got to our room the grandeur of the lobby was a distant memory. Tacky, cracked fittings in the bathroom, broken power points and a dusty, tired looking room miles from the lobby were a massive disappointment.

The biggest problem was that the heating didn’t work at all and it was freezing. I became sick during our stay and was utterly miserable. Housekeeping eventually bought up an oil heater and plugged it in but by then I had bronchitis and was absolutely as sick as a dog.

Housekeeping / maintenance also admitted that the old building meant that the heating was prone to breaking down and couldn’t be guaranteed to work in parts of the hotel a lot of the time. They were very sweet and seemed genuinely sorry for me, seeing how ill I was. They also seemed very fed up of their crappy job at this sub-par hotel!

Side note that free wifi was available in the lobby only... I did wonder why there were people sprawling around all over the place on the phones when I arrived!

Utterly disappointing. Pop in, admire the grandeur of the lobby and then stay somewhere else!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple