“Never Again!”

Stirling, United Kingdom
“Never Again!”

To Summarise,
>Location-Very Good
>Service_Typical NYC--TIP/TIP/TIP/TIP----then still very brusque and no smiles
>Rooms_Looked out onto a yard which made me feel i was in the Bronx
>Air-con_Like a Jet Engine,NOISY and inefficient
>En Suite-Sat on the toilet i could rest my chin on the sink!
>Shower-coffin like
>No breakfast served
>Adjacent bar-ok-----don't like leaving my C/card behind the bar when i have a ta open
Do yourself a favour-spend a little more and stay someone else----you really only get what you pay for in NYC.
I,now always stay at the Plaza.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank northernroamer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (986)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The hotel staff was very helpful and prompt in their assistance. The elevators were small and slow but served 27 floors. Our queen room looked like it was recently updated but was too HOT. We turned the unit to "cool" but it still put out warm air. We finally had to turn it off and kept a window open. The bathroom, while fixtures appeared new, was so tiny you could barely move around. We had trouble the 2nd night with a sluggish toilet. Not sure I would stay here again, although the location was very convenient, prices reasonable for NYC. A subway line was right outside the door, many restaurants nearby. Central Park just a few blocks to the north.

1 Thank r23quilt
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My husband, myself my brother stayed at the Wellington in September 2011. We had stayed there in 2009 and enjoyed our visit. However, we were quite disappointed at the "tired" state of the bedrooms and bathrooms, which were badly in need of refurbishment Apart from the decor, we really enjoyed our stay there, the staff are so friendly and helpful and we could find no other faults in this hotel. The location is ideal and fantastic for sightseeing, and very handy for the subway, which we would very highly recommend as a way of getting around. It is cheap and very safe. When you come out of the hotel, to your right is Central Park and to you left you re looking at Times Square, "Fantastic".

Room Tip: Try and book a room with a front view as the rooms at the back are very dull.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Bayside, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I recently spent 3 nights at the Wellington Hotel for a birthday trip to NYC. The hotel is welcoming and the staff friendly. While the amenities are basic and the rooms small (and a bit tired, some have not been updated yet), the hotel is clean and the location... FANTASTIC. We were a short walking distance from Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Center and the Theater District, and could catch the subway directly below the hotel. There is a great coffee shop on the main level, overlooking 7th Ave where we had breakfast every morning. The two elevators were pretty busy at certain times of the day, but being on the 5th floor, it was not a problem to take the stairs. You may be in for a wait if you're up on the higher floors. If you are planning on spending your days seeing the sites and are looking for a clean, comfortable room and friendly, accommodating staff, you can't go wrong with the Wellington. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: You may want to request a room on a higher floor if traffic noise will bother you when trying to sle...
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Hotel:
I was expecting tatty, old fashioned décor going by the other reviews and yes in a way it needed updating, but I found the staff very helpful, the hotel very clean and not what I called tatty. Perhaps I was lucky but even though I have stayed in better for size and luxury I have also stayed in a lot worse for the same money. Maid service was daily and even though the on suite was small it was adequate and always had hot water and descent shower water pressure. Our room on the 24th floor overlooked 7th Avenue with Central Park in the distance, and ok there were other skyscrapers overlooking us but hey we were in New York so what do you expect. TV free channel choice was good and the 3 lifts were quick and comfortable. On the whole I was pleased with my choice of Hotel and especially the location (just up from Times square, down from Central Park, right of Broadway and left of 5th Avenue for shopping).

Would I recommend it? Yes if you don't want to pay for lavish frills but do want cleanliness, comfort, location and value for money. When you are in the City that never sleeps the amount of time you will spend in your room will be minimal. There's so much to see and time is limited so the ratio of time in room to time out of room is going to be small.

Plenty of Maps/brochures in the lobby, my best friend was the New York tourist booklets on the Concierge/bell boy desk. These contained a street map of New York plus a subway map so easy to carry around both in one booklet.

Attraction tip
9/11 memorial site entrance is in Albany Street a couple of blocks from the site itself, you have to pre order a pass (this is free) 24 hours before your visit, making sure you get there at least 15mins earlier than your allocated time to go through security (xray etc.) before entering site. Your pass can be printed off via email or picked up at the site before entrance. Don't forget the memorial exhibition on exit as this is easy to miss. This will eventually be on site but hasn't been finished yet.

Food:

Prices for food can be expensive so be careful as none include their expected 20% tip.

The Park Cafe adjoining the hotel we found to be the cheapest and best value restaurant locally. Big breakfasts.......and evening meals are around 30$ for two including tips. This was more than enough food for one day.

We then bought a muffin or cake and tea/coffee for lunch for about 8$ for two. Fluffys a few doors down from the hotel had an excellent range of cakes, baguettes and wraps at really good prices so would recommend if you wanted something other than cooked. Baguettes were around 6$ and cakes/muffins/cookies 2$.

Drinking out:
Alcohol is extremely expensive, on average a small glass of wine 9.50$ and a bottle of bud 7$ cost 20$ with tip. So be warned.

Transport:
The best and cheapest way we found to get around was either walking (beware of the distances, they are greater than you expect) or subway. Subway you can buy a card which you add money too but these can be restrictive on limited time usage (some same day some not) or we preferred to pay single trips (from automated machines) of either 2.50$ each, each trip or $4.75 (any distance with unlimited changes) if there was a ticket booth. We found that this was the easiest and non restrictive, then working out the route to various sites between short distances on the way back to our hotel so usually ending up arriving back on foot. (beware of blisters though. I recommend taking blister plasters and foot tape just in case.)

Hop on Hop off buses we found were convenient and would take you where you wanted to go but as these were designed for the tourists they seemed expensive for one -two days at $44 per person.

We didn't try the taxis as this wasn't necessary and we weren't in a hurry. It seemed from others that the fees were reasonable. There are also rickshaws available but again I can't give you a definite price but I would think these were going to be cheaper than the taxis.

Horse rides in Central Park were around $40

Attractions:
I bought a City Pass from the American Museum for $79 per adult (to make sure it was genuine) and found this contained all the (chargeable) common sites we wanted to see with fast track facilities included and discount vouchers (free telephone commentary at the Empire State Building). Other passes e.g. 'New York Pass' offered more attractions (and this reflected on the price) but I felt that we wouldn't be saving as much as these included attractions that we wouldn't or didn't want to see.

Money:
We took cash and credit card for emergencies, they all preferred card (even the taxis) but I felt that charging everything could get out of hand so anything over a $50 note I changed up first due to the shops/cafe/restaurants not liking to take them. The reception at the hotel was more than happy to do this for me.

I hope this was helpful just enjoy and get into the swing of New York. :o)

Room Tip: 2443 was a good room if you can get it
5 Thank Janie2503