“Love the rooftop deck”
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #101 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 August 2005

This hotel is reasonably priced and centrally located in Manhattan. The rooms are just big enough, with small marble baths, and a refrigerator. Don't hesitate to stay here. The free breakfast is served in a nice business lounge, the staff is courteous, the Metro Grill and Bar attached to the lobby is good, but the best part of the hotel is the 12th floor rooftop deck (seasonal of course.) In the morning you can bring your complimentary New York Times up there with coffee and a perfectly toasted New York bagel. In the evening they have a small bar set up for cocktails, or you can BYOB. The deck is a quiet get-away spot in the middle of a hectic city.

5  Thank muffinlegend
Write a ReviewReviews (4,327)

Reviewed 27 July 2005

The Hotel Metro exceeded our expectations!

We were upgraded to a penthouse room that had two double beds (perfect, since I was traveling with a friend) and a sofabed. There were two sinks (one in the bathroom and one right outside), a shower and tub combination, a large TV with expanded cable, and a refrigerator. Although we were on the same floor as the rooftop bar, it was very quiet. The best aspects of the hotel were the beautiful condition of the rooms, the friendly desk staff, the free gym, the free internet access (the business center has two computers with high-speed internet), the free breakfast and the free weekday NY Times. That's a huge savings -- gyms can cost $15/day, breakfasts at least $10, and internet cafes cost time and money.

My only complaint stemmed from when we tried to alter our reservation. At one point, we tried to come a day later, and they wouldn't change our reservation without raising our daily rate by 25%. We ended up with our original reservation, but if we had truly needed to come later, it would have been a big problem.

7  Thank neib12
Reviewed 24 July 2005

We just returned from a our first visit to New York City and after reading many reviews chose the Hotel Metro as our place to stay. We had a nice experience there. It was very convienent to the subway and within walking distance of many of the things we wanted to see. The room was very clean and neat and looked as if it had been recently remodeled. (They were working on a couple of other floors at the time we were there. ) The staff was very helpful from the moment we arrived. They stored out luggage and offered us breakfast. (We arrived at about 9:00 a.m. after leaving our cruise ship.) We were very tired each evening and the room was very cool and quiet. The breakfast each morning was very nice with cereal, muffins, bagels, toast, fruit, and juice. The rooftop terrace was great with a fantastic view of the Empire State Building. They also stored out luggage our last evening there (we had an 8:30 p.m. flight) and helped us hail a cab when it was time to go. We had a great experience and would love to stay there again.

Loves to travel, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

10  Thank JMcFe
Reviewed 24 July 2005

The Metro Hotel is a nice hotel. It's definitely not a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons but I can say that I didn't have any problems with it. Well, it's easy to find problems with any hotel if one looks hard enough. There were a few little things that were kind of strange, but definitely nothing bad or anything to be worried about. For example, one night one of the maids left one of her cleaning rags in our room. It looked like she had spilled something on the floor and tried to clean it up--and then left behind her rag (and part of the spill, too). It wasn't a big deal, we just threw the rag on the floor by the door and it was gone the next day. I'm sure if we had called the front desk that someone would have come cleaned up the spill (what was remaining of it) but it wasn't really a big deal. It was just kind of strange how it looked like something had spilled and then the maid tried to clean it up but then stopped and left and left behind her cleaning rags and things. Strange.

Other than that, everything was fine with the hotel. The front desk staff seemed nice--not overly friendly--but still polite. The hotel had a great air conditioning unit in each room which was great since I was there in July. My friend & I would leave in the morning and not come back to the hotel until late at night and when we would come in, the air in our room would be on and the room was nice and cool and it felt SOOOO good. I got cold at times, though, but that wasn't a problem because you can control the temperature in the room, which is great.

Also, some reviewers said they only had a shower in their rooms. I had a shower and a bathtub in my room, although I only used the shower. The water pressure/heat were fine. Again, it wasn't some fancy massaging showerhead that one would find in a 5-star hotel but it was your ordinary shower and it worked fine, so no complaints. I didn't really care for their shower products. They give you shampoo, conditioner, soap, and I think body lotion. They weren't bad or anything but I just preferred a different fragrance, so I just picked up some other shampoo/bodywash from Bath & Body Works. But, I wouldn't have any problem using the hotel's products.

Usually my friend and I got up early but when we woke up I was surprised to already hear the maids in the hall cleaning up, but they didn't disturb us because we had the "do not disturb" sign on the door. So, we didn't have any problem with maids waking us up in the morning by coming in our room or anything (a problem I've had in some other hotels).

Also, as some other people have mentioned, each room has a refrigerator in it. I love that! Most hotels these days will give you a minibar, charge you triple prices on everything, and then put up a sign that says "don't put your own products in the minibar" but it wasn't like that at all at the Metro Hotel. They give you your own fridge and there are lots of 24 hour drugstores and things around so you can buy your own food/drinks if you want to and put them in the fridge. My friend thought the fridge might make too much noise during the night but I don't think it did at all. I never heard it. Besides, if it did then you could always unplug it. We didn't really buy any food but it was nice to keep some drinks in the fridge so we could have something cold to drink whenever we wanted. Also, the hotel does have room service if you don't want to leave your room.

Another plus is that the hotel has free wireless internet access. So, if you have a laptop then bring it with you. The signal strength wasn't the best for me but it was good enough to be able to hop online long enough to check your email and things like that. One concern that I had about the hotel is that the rooms do NOT have in-room safes. So I was worried about leaving my laptop in my room. But I did leave it in my room and didn't have any problem. However, the hotel does say that if you have valuables and don't want to leave them in your room, then you can leave them with the front desk and then pick them up later. If you can't/don't want to bring a laptop, then the hotel does have a business center with a computer/printer. There is also a small gym and a rooftop terrace/bar. I went inside the gym although I didn't really workout--I just wanted to see it. I went to the rooftop, too, but it was cloudy and at night and I couldn't really see anything, but I'm sure it would be nice during the day. It definitely gives you a good view of the Empire State Building.

My room was on the 2nd floor and so most of the time I just took the stairs from the lobby but whenever I wanted to use the elevators, they were very fast and I didn't have to spend much time waiting. However, the elevators were always hot inside. I don't know why but geesh they were hot. but again, it's just a fast elevator, so I can't complain--it's not like I was sleeping in it, ha ha. Just going from floor 1 to floor 2, which too around 10 seconds, ha ha.

I arrived at the hotel btwn 2pm-3pm and my room was ready right away. I didn't have to wait at all. As someone else mentioned, the bed and pillows aren't the best in the world but I walked so much in NYC and was so tired at night that I think I could have slept comfortably on a bed of nails, ha ha. The room wasn't huge but it was a decent size. Our room had a queen bed, 2 desks, a small table with 2 chairs, a large TV, a phone, a radio, etc. Also, if you are in your room and need to find where a museum or store is, then use the guide on your tv, it's really convenient. Just turn on the tv and use the remote to go to your city guide and then you can look at museums, restaurants, stores, etc.

The area seemed safe and my friend and I didn't have any safety concerns. In fact, during our entire trip almost everyone we encountered was very friendly. There were a couple not-so-friendly people but you find those kinds everywhere (unfortunately).

My biggest complaint about NYC in general is that I HATE how everyone expects a tip and how many restaurants calculate a tip in for you. I went to several nice restaurants and they would always bring me my credit card ticket to sign with the price of the meal and the tip included. I have traveled around the world and NYC is one of the only places that does that and I hate it. I know it's tradition but I don't understand why people can't just pay waiters, waitresses, etc. a normal salary and then not have anyone expect a tip. To me a tip is something I give to someone as a gift when the service has been extraordinarily good. But to me, the service at the restaurants that I ate at was nothing special--one of the waiters was downright annoying, but yet he calculated in a $22 tip for himself. I mean, that's crazy. I'm already paying over $150 for a meal and now I have to pay you an additional $22?? why? you didn't do anything for me besides circling my table like a vulture and messing up the order.

I don't know. I doubt it's going to change but I like how in Europe nobody expects a tip. You pay the price of the service and that's it. If a meal is $50 then the meal is $50...and not $50 plus a tip of $7.50, etc. That's crazy and I don't understand it. I hear people complain about it all the time but yet it hasn't changed. I dislike it so much.

Sorry--back to the hotel---again, it's not the best hotel in the world. If you are looking to be a pampered King or Queen then you should try the Ritz in Central Park or the one in Battery Park or the Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental, etc. But if you are looking for a decent hotel in a nice area, that's close to everything and for a more affordable price, then the Metro Hotel is a nice choice.

18  Thank leoascendant2016
Reviewed 15 July 2005

We were nervous about choosing a hotel but after reading the reviews here we my husband and I decided on the Hotel Metro. We were so glad we did. We're just average people that stay in average hotels but I was worried about staying in a big city like New York we might end up in a dump. The Hotel Metro was perfect! We were worried about it being a small room but it really wasn't that small. There was room for a queen size bed, TV armoire, 2 nightstands, a small fridge, and even a small table with 2 chairs. The bathroom was plenty big with a shower (not a tub so don't plan on bathing). The bed and pillows weren't the greatest but that wasn't a big deal after we were so tired at the end of each day. Our room was on the 5th floor and I was worried about the noise but there wasn't any. Also I was worried about getting a hotel with good air conditioning since we were there the end of June and the air conditioning was perfect. We could control it and it worked just fine. The workers there were very kind and helpful. The complimentary breakfast was awesome! They had cereal, muffins, pastries, fruit, juice, yogurt, and more and a nice room with several places to sit and TVs with the news on. That definitely saved us money. The hotel is very close to the Empire State Building and there are a couple small stores close to get drinks and snacks to fill up your fridge. There is even a big drug store down the street and around the corner where you can really fill up your fridge. There is a subway stop very very close and we used the subway a lot. Unfortunately there aren't any close restaurants that looked that great. There is a chinese place and some other asian restaurant close and also the Metro Grill is next door but it seemed a little pricey (maybe not for lunch). I would highly recommend staying at the Hotel Metro. You will not be disappointed. If you're concerned about getting a good, clean, decent hotel for your stay in New York the Hotel Metro is for you!

16  Thank tazh