“A Faded Rose in the Desert” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amargosa Opera House and Hotel

Amargosa Opera House and Hotel
New Mexico
“A Faded Rose in the Desert”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

By now I should probably understand that when other reviewers write "quaint" or "rustic", I should run in the other direction. I had read mixed reviews about this hotel before booking but persevered; I should have chosen another option.
Let's start with the positives: The location of the hotel is good in the sense that it is very close to one of the main entrances to Death Valley National Park. Death Valley Junction is indeed a "junction", of two state highways. Towns where one can purchase gas and food are 30-35 miles in any direction, north, south, east and west. So, the hotel is very quiet, and the setting is beautiful in a desert-y way (I live in the desert, so I like deserts). Another plus is the very nice people who run the hotel. I met three different women, when I checked in, had questions, and checked out the next morning, and each one was extremely kind and pleasant. They told us where we could have dinner, the café on the property being closed the day we arrived, and the restaurant where they sent us was a real find (reviewed separately). Another plus is that the rates are fairly low for the area - we paid half of what it would have cost to stay at a hotel or ranch INSIDE the national park. So, those are the plus factors.
But... this is a very old property whose owners clearly do not have the capital to upgrade it or even keep it in reasonable repair. And the rates are high for the kind of facility that it is. This stay was part of a 6-day budget trip from AZ to CA, and it was the most expensive and most run-down place we stayed. The shower stall in my room was missing tiles and the sink faucet had a continuous drip, which also discolored the sink. See attached photos. The beds were adequate, not terrifically comfortable. My traveling companion wanted to re-charge her camera and said she had to unplug the light in her room to use the single outlet available. The hotel does offer WiFi, but it worked primarily in the lounge area of the hotel, not in the rooms, and I was told that there was normally a charge for the WiFi but that they would accept a donation in lieu of the charge, since they are a non-profit outfit. One's heart goes out to the managers, who are trying so hard to make the hotel succeed, but I think the task is beyond them. The facility needs a huge investment of funds, I think, to bring it up to adequate, and this money is clearly not available. So, would I stay there again? No. It was just too basic for me. I know that other reviewers have loved it, and that is great; it's just not my kind of place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Susan A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

We left 5 minutes after arriving, in spite of the fact that we had (booked and) paid in advance and there was no chance of a refund. Room was inhabitable by any hygiene standard.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank seth80

Travellers are raving about these Death Valley Junction hotels

Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

Place smelled bad and seemed unclean. With my allergies I left early with running nose...

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank PNosturi
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

My son and his partner took my Mother and I for my Mothers 92nd birthday to see the Amargosa Opera House and Hotel. My Mother fell in love with it and offered to help paint and help with the upkeep for board and lodgings. I was spellbound, to think how talented Marta is to do what she has done. If I visit Amaragosa again you can keep 5 star hotels. Give me a
piece of history and great surroundings. The people who keep everything together are working wonders on the contributions they receive and they were wonderful to us. Good luck in the future, and it was worth the trip from England to visit you. It made our holiday. Thank you so much . Pat Roux

Room Tip: any room Marta has painted.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank patthorndike
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Amargosa for one night, on our way to Las Vegas. It is shabby, not quaint and not particularly cheap at around $102 per night. The night we stayed we had a thunderstorm and heavy rain (yes, in Death Valley!) which poured into the room through a couple of holes drilled into the ceiling, presumably to avoid the ceiling falling in. What with the rain and noisy air conditioning and youngsters running up and down the corridor we had little sleep. We got the impression that there was no management on site during the night as next morning there was no one around at all to speak to, just a box for us to leave our key. We complained but have not heard back. What a dump!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
0.0 km away
Red Bud Lodge
Red Bud Lodge
#2 of 3 in El Portal

Been to Amargosa Opera House and Hotel? Share your experiences!