“Interesting Pile of Black Rocks”
Review of Obsidian Dome

Obsidian Dome
More attraction details
Owner description: Location is in Mono County near June lakes, this natural dome was created out of lava which solidified to black glass, hence the name, obsidian.
Reviewed 25 August 2017

The road to get to Obsidian Dome is unpaved for the most part. Best to go with 4WD. It's not a must do, but it is interesting.

All reviews
"interesting place"
"volcano"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 5 August 2017

I decided for our family to go visit this place for a change from seeing all the beautiful lakes. So all 6 of us got in our SUV, a black one ok, and I drove us there knowing my husband would probably make a faster U turn than me when we get to the unpaved part of the road. So to keep this story shot, after about half way there the road was very bumpy, narrow, and dusty because of the car in front of us. So our car was no longer black or shiny, and there was large holes and rocks you have to maneuver around for your tiers not to get stuck in. So to say the least my fam bum didn't want to go any further. The first chance I got to make a turn I did. We did get out of the car, and saw the hill of rocks, took some pics and head back. After that whenever anyone said anything about roads or my driving I told them I can always take them back to Obsidian Dome... we had great laughs about it though.

Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed an unplanned side trip to obsidian dome. About 2.7 mi from the highway, the road is unimproved. We made the trip easily in a small SUV. We saw obsidian and petrified wood. It was a fun and interesting trip

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Obsidian Dome is impressive if you love volcanoes and geology. However, the dirt road was too much for our little Jetta and we turned around before we got all the way to the area where you can climb. What we did see was interesting. Bring the bug repellant!

1  Thank Rich M