“MIDDLE OF AN OLD VOLCANO”
Review of Obsidian Dome

Obsidian Dome
More attraction details
Owner description: Location is in Mono County near June lakes, this natural dome was created out of lava which solidified to black glass, hence the name, obsidian.
Reviewed 2 October 2017

If you are interested in Geology this is a very interesting place. If you know a little about the different types of rocks this is an interesting place. This is a pretty place to take some photos with some good views of the valley below.
The road is mostly dirt of the 2.9 miles we went. A high clearance vehicle is recommended, some say 4WD but I never engaged my lockers so 2 wheel with high clearance.
Where we stopped and got out there was plenty of Obsidian Bolders and lots of pumice rocks. Very interesting bandsing of rocks on the clif face.
We are interested in rocks and gems so this was a great place to visit. Otherwise it is a fine outing but go prepared. Take water for sure and emergency stuff to be safe.

1  Thank 707clayg
in 27 reviews
"pile"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Was a steep hike. The parking area is very small and one entrance and exit. There is a hike up a hill to get to the obsidian. Great views! Hot no shade, we did see some not melted snow!
Toatally worth it!!!

Reviewed 7 September 2017

This destination is pretty cool. We decided to go as it was only about 7 miles from Oh Ridge Campground. Road back in the mountains is a little bumpy and best traveled with a four wheel drive. Decent road but parts of it would be a little rough for a car. Saw RZR's on road as well. There were two spots where we could have hiked up but we went on to a further area. Only about 2.5 miles in. Parked truck in large open area, stream down below, beautiful views of mountains (did see poison oak so be careful!). We make the steep hike up the side of Obsidian Dome and it was super quiet and just really neat to see all the different rock formations. Quartz, Obsidian, pumice, some had both pumice/obsidian. Random flowers growing from the rocks here and there and a few little baby pine trees as well. Beautiful views. Wear good hiking boots or tennis shoes, all rock trail. Definite must see while in the area.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

The road to get to Obsidian Dome is unpaved for the most part. Best to go with 4WD. It's not a must do, but it is interesting.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 August 2017

I decided for our family to go visit this place for a change from seeing all the beautiful lakes. So all 6 of us got in our SUV, a black one ok, and I drove us there knowing my husband would probably make a faster U turn than me when we get to the unpaved part of the road. So to keep this story shot, after about half way there the road was very bumpy, narrow, and dusty because of the car in front of us. So our car was no longer black or shiny, and there was large holes and rocks you have to maneuver around for your tiers not to get stuck in. So to say the least my fam bum didn't want to go any further. The first chance I got to make a turn I did. We did get out of the car, and saw the hill of rocks, took some pics and head back. After that whenever anyone said anything about roads or my driving I told them I can always take them back to Obsidian Dome... we had great laughs about it though.