“Art is Everywhere”

Ranked #80 of 462 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Known as Philadelphia's liveliest and funkiest strip, the street has more than 300 stores and restaurants.
Reviewed 7 May 2017

A long walk down and back,but art is everywhere. The alleys are full of mosaics, the walls are murals, the shops are colorful and interesting. The Magic Garden between 10 and 11th Streets is fantastic. Enjoy a cupcake at a bakery, a bubble tea, or a lunch at a sidewalk cafe. Great people watching area of Philadelphia.

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

My 12 and 14-year-old grandkids and I walked the whole distance of South Street from our rental at 20th St. all the way to Penns Landing. Don't know what the night is like, but on a lovely spring day there are a few interesting shops (not nearly as funky and vibrant as the old days). We enjoyed a couple of thrift shops, but we were mostly entertained by the amazing street art – – murals and mosaics showing up almost anywhere. A must-see is the Magic Gardens (a fantastic, creative, art experience) between 10th and 11th St. You can pick up a map of nearby street art at the Gardens. And do stop for bubble tea or bubble waffles at Bubble Time just off of Third Street. I written reviews on each of these separately.

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

Make sure to wear walking shoes! There are two sides to this street and you should see both. All types of shopping and eating to do so take your wallet. Almost reminds me of a Chinatown where everything is negotiable.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

I took a stroll through South Street during the day on a Tuesday, so I am not attesting to the colorful nights that I am sure one can experience. But what I can tell you is that I get a sense that art is very important in Philadelphia.

I found it very impressive that the alleys are mosiacked and embellished--and not just the alley adjacent to Magic Gardens. I was absolutely fascinated. I did try a very good cupcake from the The Sweet Life Bakeshop (more to come on that in a separate review) but it was the art for me.

The murals. The mosiacked walls in alley ways. Magic Gardens was absolutely beautiful from the outside. What was even most impressive was the random banker that saw me attempting to get a panoramic photo of the "Art is the Center of the World" mosiacked mural who told me to go up to the parking garage over ACME to get the perfect shot.

There are many bars, restaurants, including a bbq place that I would love to try out. Many shops, tattoo parlors, adult shops and ice cream shops.

If you are visiting Philadelphia and you enjoy people watching and shops that aren't tied to corporate conglomerates, you need to get to South Street. If you are staying downtown, I would take advantage of the SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority) and take a bus. You can purchase a 1-day 8 ride pass for $8 dollars. Fare is normally $2.25 one way.

1  Thank Kendra L
Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

This place gets more colorful at night, and is a great place to visit for a cheesesteak at Jim's and/or a slice of pizza at Lorenzo's. Walking up and down the street is a must and at the end there is a pier for your sitting and viewing pleasure. Bridget Foy's is great for an outdoor meal, Honey's Sit-n-Eat is amazing for sit down breakfast, and South Street Bagels is delightful for a fresh and delicious take and go bagel. If you're brave enough for a tattoo or piercing, Infinite is the place to go.

1  Thank Elizabeth A