“Great Beer and Food”
Review of Brauhaus Schmitz

Brauhaus Schmitz
Reserve with OpenTable
Brauhaus Schmitz is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #97 of 4,692 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Brauhaus was a delightful find. I was offered a seat at a table, the bar, or a high top. The high top seats two side-by-side. I sat at the high top facing the bar.
The bar tender took my beer order and left a food menu. They have a large selection of German beers and are poured into proper glasses, depending on the style. I had the Paulaner Salvator. It is a terrific beer.
For dinner, I had the Huntsman's schnitzel (Jager schnitzel) made of pork. It came with bacon mushroom gravy, spaetzle, and red cabbage. It was wonderful! I could eat it every day. I started the meal with the soup of the day -- a nice barley soup. Excellent.
Only complaint: a two-piece band was playing at the front door. They were very loud and distracting. Should have lowered the volume.
This is a must eat restaurant if in Philadelphia!
Total cost with three beers: $56 before tip.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

I could tell they were trying to be as authentic as possible when the kolsch I ordered came in a proper kolsch glass instead of some sort of stein.
I had a kaesewurst and she had pork schnitzel. Both were excellent. Both had the spaetzle as a side.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

We have visited the Brauhaus many times. It always delivers a good selection of lunch items. Excellent beer selection. The best part is that the waiters know quite a bit about the beer and they let you taste some samples before you buy if you are not sure.Lunch menu is the best. Dinner...not so much.

1  Thank Damian S
Reviewed 30 July 2017

We only had time for a beer, but the beer selection was mind blowing, it actually comes in a book. Since there were so many choices, we asked our server to recommend something, and we loved both of the choices he made. Unfortunately we didn't have time to eat, but the pretzels, and cheese plates that we saw looked very good and it smells good in there kind of like sauerkraut, but in a good way. Nice ambience inside too, definitely feels German.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

We walked in on a hot day strolling on South street looking for a nice cold German beer and authentic food. Right away we liked the atmosphere and life music. The menu had a nice selection of beer, including three different sets of samplers. It also had a good selection of food. My Husband had a sausage platter which was excellent, but my pork schnitzel was dry and tasteless. The other thing that we did not like is that the waiter did not offer us a kids menu until our toddler daughter refused to eat a soup from a regular menu.