“Cat-a-WOW-la for Catahoula”

Ranked #577 of 4,691 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed 1 August 2017

We had a fantastic dinner. I ordered the pecan encrusted Salmon which was great and came in a nice sized fillet. There was no question here that they pecans on top. The asparagus was nicely quick fried and the mash potatoes were just right. The other order was Shrimp N' Grits. The grits had a delicious truffled mushroom gouda sauce.

To top off the meal, there was their signature Biroche Bread Pudding. That itself was a complete meal.

Service was great and personal.

While we ate inside, it was a small and personal with seating either at high tables or at the bar. During the summer they have seating on the outside which would invite families.

NOTE - plan to get a cab there during the 'school season' as there is NO parking during the week after 4:30. We went Sunday (30/7) afternoon and were happy to find parking but had tried several times before and should have parked elsewhere and taken a cab to the restaurant..

Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

Decided to check it out. It was just a short walk from hotel. Didn't think I could get great Cajun food this far north. Glad I did. Great food. Nice laid back atmosphere. The bartender/manager was great!

Reviewed 1 March 2017

Had a lovely lunch outside on Fat Tuesday. The weather was nearly as lovely as my companion. She had the shrimp boil app and I had the shrimp po' boy both were delicious!

Reviewed 14 June 2016

If You are looking for N'awlins Cuisine in Philly plan a trip to Catahoula Bar & Restaurant on Front Street. The Abita Amber was cold!! (We were disappointed when they ran out but we did get there late.) The New Orleans BBQ Shrimp entree was delicious. There was an order of The Big Easy Land entree...a super mix of Cajun favorites. And, I ordered The Big Easy Bayou...Fried Catfish, Seafood Jambalaya, Hush Puppies & a Crab Cake...it was Awesome!! We finished the meal with 2 super desserts...Molasses Pecan Pie & Banana Foster Bread Pudding. (I didn't share my Bread Pudding...Ha Ha!!) The outdoor patio seating was a perfect-in the city-seating area. I did look at the indoor seating arrangement and I think we would have also been very happy inside. We love the Cajun cuisine...if You do or want to give it a try plan a visit to Catahoula...it was Awesome!!

Reviewed 18 April 2016

I have a mixed feeling about this restaurant. The setting is warm and elegant, with a bar. Regarding the food, the jambalaya is decent. But the alligator meatball and etouffee are so so. The etouffee has too much tomato and not enough black pepper. This is not like New Orleans style of cajun. I don't want to say their dish is Italian-modified but I hope you get my point.

The service is good though. I will come back (because Philly has very limited number of cajun restaurants)