“Italian night out”
Review of Bistro Romano

Bistro Romano
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Romano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 4,444 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between Front and 2nd
Transit: Septa: 40 Bus, 57 Bus
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Wanted to find a restaurant not too far from the airport and we wanted a good Italian meal. We don't go into Philly much so I researched and came up with several choices. I chose Bistro Romano in the end because of the video on their site was what we were looking for. We got there early and were seated right away. Service was prompt and courteous. My wife and I each ordered a glass of wine and bread with a bowl of olive oil came. I had read about the ceasar salad made at the table and that did not disappoint. Our server Amber told us each item that she put into salad. It was excellent. My wife ordered the veal melanzane and I had the special raviolis. Both were large portions and delicious. We finished the meal with splitting a cannoli. Very good. Recommend this place highly. Convenient parking too.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

The food is very good. The cellar atmosphere is beautiful and comfortable. You can go dressed to the nines or in casual dress and feel equally comfortable. They are famous for their "make at the table" caesar salad and for good reason.

1  Thank mama0pe
Reviewed 1 December 2011

First time at Bistro Romano. I started wiith a half order of the ravioli bolognese. It was stuffed with veal and was in a lite tomato and beef ragu, very tasty. The main corse of veal parmigiana was very good also, nice sized portion. It was served with a choice of pasta or vegetables. The dinning area is very rustic. Nice wine selection.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

My fiance and I went to Bistro Romano for my birthday dinner. This was our first time here and we really enjoyed the atmosphere and service. As you enter there is a very nice bar area straight ahead and steps leading down to the dining room. I'm not sure if there is dining upstairs but we did witness a few older guests struggling to get down the flight of stairs to where we were dining. The dining area is dimly lit with candles on the table; very romantic. We were served bread and oil and also got a complimentary "appetizer" of a small piece of bruschetta which was a nice surprise. The meal was brought out in a timely manner; he got an appetizer of calamari (very good) and I got the bistro salad which was also very good. Our entrees were both tasty and they catered to his special request of sauce on the side. After dessert we were happily stuffed. I am glad that I chose this as my birthday outing and we plan on returning in the future.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Besides permitting us to last-minute add more people to our table on a Saturday night of a marathon weekend when space is already at a premium (meaning the only available option was to add a chair to the end of our booth, thus causing wait staff to have to work around the inconvenience, which may not sound like a big deal, but it was, based on space alone) - the staff was incredibly friendly and willing to provide us with all the random/excessive requests of picky carbo-loading/hydrating/routine-based runners. In addition, the portions were huge and delicious, and we were never told no, nor rushed out after we were done eating.

Somehow this place manages to be a neighborhood gem in the busy South Street area. Well done Bistro Romano!