“Excellent Value!”
Review of Bistro Romano

Bistro Romano
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Romano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 5,144 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Cross street: Between Front and 2nd
Transit: Septa: 40 Bus, 57 Bus
Reviewed 14 August 2016

We received an e-mail for a weekend dinner special, summer in Society Hill, with a 3 course menu for $34.95 including wine, beer, or champagne along with a $20 certificate to be used at a later visit. There were 3 choices each for appetizer, entree, and dessert. My Insalata Frutti di Mare had shrimp, scallops, squid, mussels, and crabmeat; my husband's Bistro Salad was fresh and flavorful. His entree was the veal steak, which was excellent, and I had the tagliatelle bolognese (large portion; had another dinner the next night!). We shared a large serving of tiramisu for dessert and brought my cheesecake home. There were many house wine choices to select from. If you are on their VIP mailing list, you will receive special offers for your birthday and several times throughout the year with e-mail specials. We have never been disappointed with the regular menu or with the specials.

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed 1 August 2016

My daughter and son-in-law treated my wife and I to one of their favorite Italian eateries. We were not disappointed! Service was on point. Dinner was exceptional! Waitstaff was very attentive. (My wife asked for manager on our way out just to make sure he knew what an outstanding diining experience we had!)

Will definitely return - with or without the kids!!

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 22 July 2016 via mobile

We returned for the Cellar Club dinner and it was terrific. The food was really good and the service was great. Michael is a great host. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 14 July 2016

I went to this restaurant as part of a group of 7 for a business dinner. My expectations were high after reading other TA reviews, but left the restaurant disappointed. The restaurant itself and its décor is nice and very interesting. The wine list is very nice and reasonably priced! This was greatly appreciated and a pleasant surprise. However, the food was just average. It is not that it was bad. Everything that was brought out was good, but just not great. The menu and food lacked imagination and that special something that takes good food and makes it great. I am not sure if it was the seasoning or the ingredients, but nothing wowed me. With the number of really good and great Italian restaurants in Philadelphia it is not worth spending your money or time at this one. With that all said, the most disappointing aspect of the restaurant was the service. It was slow, disorganized and not all that professional. It really detracted from the night.

Perhaps we hit the restaurant on a bad night were things did not click, but I will not go back.

Date of visit: July 2016
Michael G, Owner at Bistro Romano, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2016

Thank you for your review; as you can see most guests are pleased yet on occasion we fall short, hence your disappointment. We take all reviews very seriously and review each one to determine how we can improve. We have not been able to identify your group or reservation; we had many large groups yet did not have any with a reservation under “Harold” or a credit card payment in the name of “Harold.” Would it be possible for you to share the party you were dining with and the specific date & time?

We have been a neighborhood mainstay for 28 years; when our valued guests let us know they were not pleased we reach out in an attempt to have them return and leave pleased. You indicated you would not return. Should you wish to give us another look when in Philadelphia, we would be happy to host you.

We are hopeful you will shed more light on your recent visit as mentioned above. Thank you. My email is mike@bistroromano.com

Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

This restaurant has a wonderful ambience great food and service. Bistro Romano is a must go! The food is always delicious with plenty of variety and some really nice specials. The innovative cocktails never disappoint. Decent wine list with a variety of price points, but try Michaels wine flight you won't be disappointed.The service is good without being snobby. Good for older kids wouldn't recommend for little ones though.