“Excellent Sushi, great Location = Tiny Heaven”
Review of Uzu Sushi

Uzu Sushi
Ranked #1,085 of 4,716 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Reviewed 8 June 2016 via mobile

As a visitor from the San Francisco Bay Area, I have sadly come to expect sushi disappointment -- outside of Hayes Valley's excellent Otoro Sushi. So I was delighted to find very fresh, very good sushi quietly presented by tiny Uzu's staff on my first sushi outing in Philadelphia. Tasty miso soup, good and sizable pot of genmai tea, and a remarkably generous and flavorful mixed sashimi sunomono "salad". Maximum seating 15 people, but a winner!

Reviewed 28 July 2015 via mobile

I'm writing this one for my wife, only because I chose cheesesteaks over sushi. She got the avocado and cucumber California Rolls and she said by far the best she's ever had! Our next trip in Philly, we will definitely be back here!

Reviewed 5 February 2015

Best sushi experience in Philadelphia, nice small cozy room and even in winter time it was nice and warm inside. Visited two times during my stay in Philadelphia. BYOB and no fee for bringing your own wine. A lot of sushi rolls to choose from and all of those we tried were great. We made a reservation, but the restaurant was never fully booked, which was nice as well, since the room is quite small. I would recommend a table by the window.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My girlfriend and I visited this wonderful restaurant a few times while staying in Philadelphia and we were pleasantly surprised by it.

There is a fairly extensive selection for a small restaurant, you can either choose from a number of platters, called "Uzu Regular", "Uzu Royal" and so on priced between $20-60 or you can build your own dishes for $3-10 per couple of rolls/pieces.

I was very impressed and can honestly say this is the best sushi I have ever had in the United States, and the first time I have enjoyed American smoked salmon. The portions are a good size and compared to Britain and California I thought the prices were reasonable. It had a lovely cozy atmosphere and was quite romantic in a way.

There wasn't a single piece of sushi I had here that wasn't enjoyable and I would definitely, enthusiastically recommend it.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I really enjoy sushi and have been searching for my go-to restaurant in Philadelphia. I found it! Uzu was delicious and food was well presented. Service was very friendly and expeditious. Atmosphere was cozy (good for a date), with only six 2-person tables inside (plus 3 spots at the sushi bar). Outdoor seating available when weather permits. BYOB, but they have a couple of beers/sake available.

I'll be back (again and again)!

1  Thank TBDWorldTraveler