“Revisit: Still a very good stay, though hotel is almost by itself by the river”

Hilton Philadelphia at Penn's Landing
Ranked #19 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Follow-up revisit review: We chose to stay again at this hotel, given our prior positive experience. We did not mind that the hotel is remote, right on the river, and this time we received a room overlooking the river. The view was of Camden, NJ across the river, and can see the retired battleship New Jersey, along with the Benjamin Franklin bridge (see attached pictures).

For those of you who don't mind being away from the hub-bub of downtown Philly, and travelling via taxi, car, or a few minutes walk to Old City or South Street (for bars, restaurants), or a little further walk, historic Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, then you can't go wrong with the Hyatt at Penn's Landing. Be aware: the seaport right below is essentially non-existent, and on other side of hotel = front, there is a full highway (I-95) sunken further below. Not very noisy, but an occasional honking, cars whizzing by, or motorcycle rumbling reminds you it's there. Don't worry, there are overpasses at street level to get past the highway. Ask for a room with a river view if you are sensitive to noise, but not a big issue as windows are thick enough.

Room was comfortable, clean and spacious. King bed on a high floor. Bathroom was clean and as expected. Standard and acceptable. Front desk is a little 'stiff' and needs a little 'warmth', but efficient.

We would continue to recommend this hotel to all, including families. Did not note a pool in the hotel, and we did not try the restaurants or bars in the hotel...we prefer not to for any hotel, given the many options in the city. Why eat at a hotel when there are so many options, cuisines in the city, within easy reach??

Happy Hotel-ing!

Room Tip: Request a room on river side ... city side is ok, but river side avoids highway noise below.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Unbiased&FairAdvisor
MCatHyatt, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia at Penn's Landing, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Dear Unbiased & FairAdvisor,

Thanks very much for choosing to stay with us again as well as providing your commentary on your experiences. We appreciate it .

Interesting comment on the team at the fromnt desk. We've hired a number of new staff members at the desk recently. Great feedback for us. I have shared your comments with the Front Office Manager that oversees that team. This will help him fine tune. That attention together with time in position will do it. Crucial information for us.

Hope we'll see you again soon. all the best.

Reviewed 16 November 2011

I had a very nice stay at this hotel. The only thing that I really have to complain about is how thin the walls were. One of the night I was there, a large group of people came back to their rooms after the bars closed and they were loud. Now this isnt the hotels fault, but the walls are so thin, it was like the were yelling inside my room. After about ten minutes of them yelling back and forth I almost called down stairs but they left the floor before I had the chance. Other than this, the hotel was nice, could use a little touching up but the bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. I would stay here again if I was ever in Philly. The biggest draw back about the city, not just the hotel is how much parking is. We paid 25 bucks a night to park at the hotel. So if you can find somewhere that had parking included, I would definitely do that instead.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
MCatHyatt, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia at Penn's Landing, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Dear LAGirlWorldTraveler,

Thank you for staying with us. I regret some other guests returning to the hotel later at night were too loud. If it goes on for longer than you feel is acceptable please always call downstairs. our security personnel do a walk through of all floors but are often not on a floor at the moment someone is too loud. We send them back up to the floor and they address it directly with the loud group . They monitor the area for any other disturbance as well.

In regards to the parking.....seems that is somewhat of a subjective topic. We try to remain in a very competitive position relative to other similar hotels in the area. We compare very favorably on the lower end of the price points. Also, we offer self parking for a savings as well as valet parking.

Hopefully there will be another opportunity for you to head east again and we'll have the opportunity to have you with us again.

Reviewed 12 November 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt Penn's Landing for a convention in March. Check-in was quick and efficient. Room assigned was on a high floor with a king bed, as requested. While the view was nothing spectacular (city view), it suited my needs. The bathroom was nice, with granite countertop. All surfaces (shower, counter, toilet, etc) were cleaned adequately. I had the breakfast buffet at Keating's River Grill one morning. While it was very good with a nice variety, it was a bit pricey. The waitstaff was very accommodating.

The meeting facilities were fine, and the snacks provided during the breaks hit the spot. Actually, all the meals served during the meeting were good.

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt Penn's Landing. I travel to Philly quite a bit and it will be one of my go-to hotels. One word of caution - this hotel is a little removed from the action. That could be good or bad, depending on your perspective.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Hello dkstyle,

Glad we had the opportunity to host the comnevtion you were in town for and have you stay with us. Thanks for sharing your feedback and it was great to read that the staff, facilities and food met all of your needs while you were here.

I hope you'll return for a leisure focused stay. The historical sites of Old City as well as great restaurants available in that part of town are close by. Cross over at the hotel driveway or take the pedestrian footbridge adjacent to the hotel. With cabs staging just across from the hotel we can also get you into one of those if preferred.

Thanks again. Enjoy the holidays. Hope you have you with us again soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

Very clean and comfortable. Very polite and attentive staff. Reserved a king bed room, but none were available when we arrived, so had to take a 2 queen room . Self parking area requires 2 elevator transfers and a 50-yard walk...and costs $25 overnight! No free wi-fi...unexpected since many lower cost hotels offer free access. Light fixtures in elevators need cleaning. Again.....the lack of attention to detail is surprising in a Hyatt property.

Also, if you want to use a Hyatt travel certificate (same as cash), they will not issue another voucher or certificate if you don't use the entire amount. I used a $100 face value Hyatt travel certificate at checkout to pay for a $68 food and beverage tab. I was told that I would just lose the $32 remaining on the certificate! This is nickel-and-diming their customers. Really gave me a bad impression of Hyatt corporate policy.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I have been coming to the Hyatt at Pennsylvania Landing on and off for years-it really is a fabulous hotel. The location is so beautiful and the rooms are a great size. The one thing I love about this hotel the most though, is it's staff. Firstly, over ten years I have seen a lot of the same faces-which to me also says they treat their staff well-which is important to me. The are always friendly and warm and are also knowledgeable. I really can't say enough nice things- thanks for a great escape!

Room Tip: It's really nice to be higher up for a great view!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Villiers,

Thanks very much for choosing to stay with us once again while visiting Philadelphia. We really appreciate it as well as the time you took to share your feedback from this most recent stay.

Always great to learn the hotel met a guest's needs and the staff was very hospitable. Hope you'll come back again soon. Safe travels in the meantime.