“Great hole in the wall breakfast”
Review of Columbian Cafe

Columbian Cafe
Ranked #30 of 103 Restaurants in Astoria
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Description: Featuring fresh local seafood and gourmet meat and vegetarian or vegan dishes.. Enjoy a specialty cocktail in the VoodooRoom, a visual homage to New Orleans.Long a favorite of locals and visitors from afar.
Reviewed 4 August 2017

This is the kind of place you get variable reviews on - if you want a clean-cut coffee with neat tables and shiny wooden floors go to the Astoria coffee house opposite. The Columbian has a sailor's pub feel and serves big plates of well seasoned food. As a family of 6 with a disabled chair user we were welcomed, sat at a roadside table, had delicious omelettes (the special of shrimp and crab was great), great hash and sides of bacon, OK coffee.

Reviewed 29 June 2017

I seem to prefer little places like this. Not this one so much. Pretty grungy. We stopped in for coffee and something light. Told them that and the reply was 'we don't do light'. They must not do coffee either. Two people walked right past us as we sat at the counter and ignored us. I decided I didn't do need grungy coffee.

Reviewed 15 June 2017

Very much enjoyed the lunch. Both wife and I ordered the fish of the day, mercy, and received 2 totally different and delicious dishes that we just had to share. Well worth taking a little time.

Reviewed 29 May 2017

Not sure what happened to this place?!! USED to have outstanding food, USED to be the best vegetarian fare around, USED to be a friendly place, USED to get ample homemade jellies to put on our toast, USED to enjoy our breakfasts at the Columbian. After our experience this morning, not sure if I will ever return. Took my hubster there for his birthday this morning. He ordered the chili relleno omelet and I had my usual sautéed veggies and rice with an egg. Today the usual cook was absent but in past discussions with him, he said that the owner was very particular in his recipes and so things really were never changed up. There was one order being worked on ahead of us. But still we waited for 40 minutes for our food to show up. Right away I could see that my breakfast was not the same as usual. Previously they used brown rice, sautéed with various fresh veggies, seasoned with cumin and some tamari or soy. YUM. But today the rice was white rice, not even mixed with the veggies, and no seasoning whatsoever! Bleh. My husband's (usual) chili relleno omelet was nothing more than red bell peppers wrapped with a scrambled egg.....no cheese, no seasoning....nothing that remotely resembled what the dish was or should be! So when our waitress returned with the check, we gave her some feedback about our meal. We stated that the food was bland, it wasn't a chili relleno etc etc, She only gave us excuses and retorts to suggest that this is the way the food is made. When I questioned her about her replies, she stated "you are not obligated to eat here" that was IT! Seriously? No apologies. Just "I am busy". All I could say to her was "wow, unbelievable that you said that (...no obligation to dine there..)" She was pissy and made us feel that we and our dining there over the past years was not valued. I hope the owner reads this. Maybe it's a new owner? If it was a new cook, aren't there recipes to follow? If he doesn't understand how to make things (as usual), why was he there solo on a holiday weekend?? And why would you keep such a lousy waitress on staff??? The ONLY thing she did right was to crumple up our ticket and storm away. We left, after only eating a few bites.........Hoping it was a fluke day. Hoping the other chefs still prepare food the way it used to be done. Hoping that waitress is either gone or has a major attitude adjustment.

2  Thank WireFoxTerrierMom
Reviewed 8 May 2017

This place is a total whole in the wall, which is my favorite type of place. We got the special of dungeoness crab w/shrimp omelets and mimosa's and both were great. They did not skimp on the seafood!