New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of 17 Hundred 90 Inn

17 Hundred 90 Inn
Ranked #13 of 34 Savannah B&B and Inns
savannah ga
“No ghosts, but a good night's sleep and excellent dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

Celebrated our anniversary with a "stay-cation" at this classic inn in downtown Savannah, walking distance to everything. The inn has new owners (1 year) and has undergone significant room renovations. Our room (101) was spacious and the king bed very comfortable. Linens were nice, but pillows could be improved. Bathroom clearly updated with new tile, shelving, etc. and it was SO nice to be in an older inn with adequate space to put toiletries! The bar is a local fav, as is the restaurant, and with good reason: bartenders work hard to please guests, and the food is flavorful, well-prepared, nicely-presented, and not so much food you feel guilty for not eating it all. I had the pork tenderloin with mushroom risotto and it was excellent. Bread pudding for dessert did not impress, and the waitress too it off the bill when she saw I didn't eat most it and I told her why. Innkeepers are very involved with the daily operation of the inn, enthusiastic about the experience, and willing to share their stories. Will stay again, or at least dine at the restaurant again soon.

Room Tip: Room 101 was on the front of the house, which intersects 2 streets. Can be noisy on the weekends.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Moultrie, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We booked a weekend at this inn specifically because of its reputation for being haunted and made a reservation for a room w/king size bed. When we got there, we found we were booked in a separate townhouse in the next block which is not haunted. We had a wonderful suite on the top floor (3 flights of stairs) with separate bedroom and sitting room and a HUGE remodeled bath with steam shower, whirlpool tub and a fireplace so I quickly got over my disappointment of not being in the inn building. The only disappointment with the room was it had a queen sized bed rather than the king we reserved but since the inn was full for the weekend, we knew we probably could not be accomodated with a change and didn't complain about it. The bed was comfortable and it was very quiet since we were on a side street and there are only 3 suites in this building. Be aware if you stay in the President's Quarters, there is no WI-FI in this building so we could not use our computer during our stay unless we took it over to the bar. Our greatest problem (and this is not the inn's fault) is there is very limited parking anywhere in Savannah and you have to pay attention to the hours posted for the streetsweepers so we were constantly having to move our car and trying to find a parking spot. Forget about trying to get into the few spaces the inn has; only the very lucky will get into one of those and once in there, they do not move their car, so you will most likely have to find a parking space on the street. Luckily Savannah does not require you to feed the parking meters after 5:00 p.m. on Friday until 8:00 a.m. on Monday. We did not eat in the restaurant while we were there but we did spend time in the bar on Saturday afternoon while watching a football game. The bar and bartender were great. We tried the fried green tomato appetizer while there and it was only so-so. There are no elevators since this is a historical building but the staff carried our luggage up the 3 flights of stairs when they showed us the room. Our room was furnished with true time period antiques and was very tastefully decorated. If you want a true taste of what it was like to live in Savannah 150 years ago, you will enjoy staying here. If you are used to the conveniences of modern hotels, you may be disappointed. Stay here for the atmosphere.

2 Thank MsViolet
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

The room was large, had a separate sitting room and large bathroom. It was reminiscent of 1790 style room but is in need of renovation. Check in is difficult because you check in with the restaurant hostess who is also seating people for meals. Very confusing. The room came with a continental breakfast offering however it was started late and folks had a tough time figuring out how to enter the breakfast location.
Also, the full restaurant service was poor. We had dinner on Saturday evening and had advance reservations. We were given a small table in the middle of the room while all the window tables remained vacant the whole tie we were there.Our server did not review specials, did not offer second beverages and was very indifferent. The food was ok.
Think the biggest issue with this place is that is is poorly organized and some staff are poorly trained.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor in the building across the street. You will get a very large room with private sit...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

We are frequent visitors to Savannah so when we learned the 17 Hundred 90 Inn was under new management, we decided to give it a try as we love to come to this inn for drinks. We booked Room 201 which is the largest room in the inn. It is beautiful. It has a nice King Bed which was very comfortable. It has a fireplace which would be nice if you're there in the winter months or on a cool Fall night. The only negative is no elevator and you must walk up steps no matter which room you're in. If you're on the top floor, then that's 2 flights of steps. The only other thing that could be a negative is the older style of TV and some of the channels were not clear. We were in the room mostly to sleep so this wasn't an issue with us. The rooms are clean and decorated as an older style of home should be as are the bathrooms. The inn is supposedly haunted but we never encountered any evil spirit and if we did encounter any other spirit, we took them as friendly and they weren't there to bother you. Patrick the new innkeeper is awesome. The chef at the inn is great too so enjoy the restaurant if you stay here. The bar is nice and frequented by locals during Happy Hour and then the pub crawls are usually there between 8 & 10. The bar reminded me of Cheers as after the first day when I walked in, everyone called me by my first name. The breakfast is mostly cereals, bagels and yogurt. Do not expect a hot breakfast but I understand this is something under consideration. I didn't mind it as sometimes I like to go to other places to eat breakfast. It also helps to keep the rates down.

Room Tip: Room 201 is the largest and Room 204 is the most haunted.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

This was my very first trip to Savannah. I didn't know up from down regarding the historic district, so my hope was to stay somewhere and get the lay of the land. I googled whether it was haunted, and lucky its Savannah, and it is! I wanted room 204, Anna's room. A woman whom fell or was pushed out a window. Unsure about that. I hear she dislikes female guests and that excited me. The room was booked, but there was another story I found online about a boy who who fell down and died that likes to frequent rooms 201 & 203. I was in 201 and when I walked in I was shocked... in a good way, The room was SO large. I swear it was bigger than my first apartment. It had furniture and the king bed was on a platform and had bed posts. It was a great night's sleep. This huge room had four windows. Two had curtains and the two near the bed did not. I was afraid the light would keep me awake, but I had no problem at all. The bathroom was just a bathroom, but I had a nice shower. They had a book in the room that you could write in telling if you had a ghostly experience. I did not, for the record. The parking was very tight, but someone came out and directed the situation. As I walked around the historic district I noticed that parking is scant and some of the chain places charge. It was walking distance to a lot of stuff, including Leopold's Ice Cream. Savannah seems to be a walking city, but wear flats. This place is clearly a work in progress, but take a historical tour and preservation is very much a challange that almost every building in the 2.2 square mile radius is going to be up against at some point or another. The staff let me ask every ridiculous question I had and answered with hospitible grace. I didn't eat there, but they gave me a map and taught me where everything was. As much as I want to stay in every B&B in Savannah just to say I did, I am partial to the comfy and large room 201. I hear some of the rooms aren't as large, but 201 certainly is. The breakfast left a little something to be desired, but if you do your research Inn's typically do not. Maybe in the future, though. Hint, hint, wink, wink Patrick. Oh, and we came back from walking around at night in the heat from a ghost tour and were so thirsty so we wondered into the bar to order a water and a coke and was so happy a bar was attached to the Inn. We told the bartender we were guests, because at 11 at night who walks in and orders non-alcoholic beverages. She was gracious enough to not charge us, which was upexpected, but true to Savannah's Hospitality reputation. I really enjoyed my stay, ghost or no ghost. FYI if you are afraid of ghosts do not be deterred, Savannah is crawling with daily haunting stories, like it or not.

1 Thank Casey R