Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg
US$116
US$79
US$77
Hotwire.com
All reviewsextended staymake a u turnfew issuesstove topfront deskthe hotel staffsmoking roomfitness centerthe room was nicestaff was friendlybagelsdishwashercooktopfloridakitchenettehighwayroomy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 April 2015

Stopped by on our way to and from Florida. Staff is extremely competent and nice, room us quiet, well equipped with full kitchen. It is a home away from home. We stopped once on our way south and stopped again on our way back because we liked it so much"

Room Tip: Walmart near by, restaurants, cheapest gas in Virginia at this exit
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Carol M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2015

We here at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg would like to THANK YOU for staying with us each and every time you come through...Hope to see you again and have a WONDERFUL SUMMER!!!!

Reviewed 18 March 2015

I was there for several months. The desk staff was very friendly and helpful except they would call to tell you of your balance, even tho you have scheduled to pay on a particular day each week. Annoying. The room it self was nice. The bed covering had a large hole in it but other then that the room was good. Highway was very noisy. The housekeeping staff is standoffish. No greeting in the halls when you walk by. They only work in the morning hours. Some guests are late sleepers because of the jobs they have. They need to sleep during the day and awake at night but the hotel did not accommodate our needs. They need to have housekeeping that works different shifts. What if someone gets sick and needs to be cleaned up, or the late risers, I did not get my linen changed but a few times. I had to clean them my self and make my own bed. I also had to take my own towels down to the desk and get my towels from them. Housekeeping also stated they were afraid of my little dog and did not want to enter the room. I found this unexceptable for a large chain and the amount of money I spent for that room. The hotel staff should not be parking at the front of the hotel taking up parking that the guests need, it's just rude.... It will be some time before I can return to this chain again. They need to take after Staybridge Hotels. Good housekeeping, friendly workers, meals.

Room Tip: It is pet friendly if you pay $150. For what not sure, not all dogs rooms need special cleaning. Rooms on the backside opposite Stake and Shake are very noisy from the highway.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled on business
Carol M, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2015

Dear Value Guest, sorry that the services did not meet your expectations, but however we did give you room services when you took your DO NOT DISTURB SIGN off your door. Candlewood Suites are set up not to do room service just once a week, but, here at this Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, we do come in everyday to make your bed, give fresh towels and take the trash out for you , but, once again you have to take your DO NOT DISTURB SIGN off the door. We are not like the larger Cites hotel where the staff needs to be here around the clock.

Thank you for your comments and I will be speaking to my TEAM MEMBERS in taking PRIDE in GREETING each and EVERY GUEST....

Reviewed 3 March 2015

My husband and I had to pull off for the night due to icy road conditions, and we decided to stay at the nearest Candlewood Suites, as we have had good service from them in the past. This stay surpassed our expectations. Not only did they give us a quiet room far from the elevators, but front desk staff also gave us suggestions for places to order in supper. We were made to feel very welcome, and everything from booking the reservation to check out the next morning was done efficiently and with a friendly smile. I think that - from now on - we will be staying at Candlewood more often during our travels!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Carol M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2015

Team Candlewood Suites in Fredericksburg would like to take this time in saying THANK YOU for staying with us.....I am so glad that the TEAM made you feel welcoming and hope to see you again......Once again a BIG THANK YOU!!!!!

Reviewed 16 October 2014

My Sister and I just spent three nights here and this hotel has the best staff ever. They are very friendly, helpful, courteous, and just go out of their way to make their guests feel welcome. I wish every hotel had a staff like this. Traveling would be so much pleasant. The hotel suites were large, clean and every as it should be. There were no hidden surprises. This is a great place to stay in Fredericksburg if you're ever in the area. If we go back you can bet we'll be staying here. What a joy it was to meet this fine staff. Keep up the great work.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2014

DH and I decided to head down to Lake Anna for the 4th of July holiday. Having stayed at Candlewood Suites in the past, I was psyched when I found one in Fredericksburg. It was icing on the cake when I realized that my two nights stay would cost us the princely sum of zero dollars courtesy of my IHG points.

I requested a queen bed, close to the elevator on a higher floor. We were able to check-in early courtesy of Darlene who mentioned that the hotel is only 1.5 years old. We didn’t get as close to the elevator as I would have preferred, which was a good thing. The high-pitched ding that signaled the arrival (and the departure) of the elevator would have sent me bonkers if we were any closer. We were placed in Room 301 – which was at the end of the short side of the hallway – a reasonable walk to/from the elevator.

On walking into the hotel it smelled fresh and looked bright and inviting. There were always snacks in the lobby like popcorn, fruit juice and cookies. Surprisingly, the hotel serves breakfast each day (6-9 am if I recall). That breakfast is served daily is highly unusual for a Candlewood Suites. As we drove around we noticed several properties serve at least a continental so I would assume that it is a competitive advantage that they do.

Our queen room was on the smallish side – though the bathroom was very large. Our room had one recliner, flat screen TV, work desk, full-size fridge, dishwasher, sink, stove top and microwave. As you may already know, rooms at Candlewood are only cleaned prior to check in, after check-out, or once a week for long term guests. You can exchange towels at the front desk. The a/c unit worked extremely well. In fact, we turned it off periodically because we got a bit chilly.

What’s nearby
Across from the Candlewood is a Steak ‘n Shake restaurant that does a brisk business. We were always heading elsewhere so we never tried their food but the drive-thru lane was always packed. Further down the street is a McDonald’s. Fredericksburg is really thriving retail-wise and there is no shortage of restaurants to eat in. Faves were Castiglia’s (try the gnocchi), Captain D’s and Dickey’s (great waffle fries and sweet tea)

A few issues
- Honestly, I have to say that WiFi was not the best. Fortunately we usually travel with our own Hotspot and we used that for times when the Candlewood Suites Wifi was a bit slow.

- We could hear our neighbors walking above us and moving furniture - first time in many hotel stays where it actually bothered me or I noticed.

- On the day of our departure the maids started vacuuming the room above ours (and moving furniture) about 10 am. We couldn’t sleep in if we wanted. (See last note below).

- Maybe our first night we were so tired that we didn’t notice, but by the second night DH and I found the bed to be a bit uncomfortable. In DH’s words, the queen mattress felt claustrophobic (we have a king at home) and something was not right with the mattress.

- Considering that there is great likelihood that two adults will inhabit a queen room, I was bummed that there was only lamp light on one side of the bed and none on the other. Also, the space allowed on one side of the bed was barely large enough for an adult female to step out of bed.

- We usually request late checkout because we’re usually running behind on checkout day, but this time to our surprise we got a knock on the door after 11 o’clock. It was the maid. Our luggage cart was already loaded up and we were ready to exit the room but I was a bit affronted that she was knocking before checkout time. If we were late, it would be one thing but before noon? Is there no grace period? Needless to say that with no maid service for the two days we were there (no surprise) and this surprise knock on departure day, this maid sealed her fate. Sad to say, I was not tipping.

Our stay at Candlewood was not bad enough that we would hesitate to stay at another Candlewood Suites in the future. However, in the area where the hotel is located (and I really like Fredericksburg so we will be back!) there are many other options that are worthy of consideration (Hampton Inn, Country Inn & Suites etc). On this stay nothing really wowed me (except for the friendliness of the lobby staff) and nothing really made me go “uggh” either. For a more pleasant stay, we will definitely book a king 1-bedroom on future Candlewood stays.

If you found this review helpful, please choose “yes” below. Happy travels!

Room Tip: For the most space book a king room - early!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trinigirlmd
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear trinigirlmd,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. My apologies for any disappointment you may have had during your stay. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your detailed review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Karen C