“Awesome Alaskan cabin experience!”
other travellers have booked this property
Awarded 2017 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Queen Bed in the Loft
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Awarded 2017 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence
Queen Bed in the Loft
Lounge with double pull out couch
Stairs to the loft with kitchen in the background
The Sauna/shower building 10 feet from the cabin
Woodstove to heat up the water for the shower and the sauna
Shower
Winter time
View from the bedroom
View of the cabin from the pond
The outhouse
You can go quite fast in a dog sled!
View from the sled
The dog team
Harnessing the dogs up for a ride
Ready, Set, Go!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Mike C
Marlow, Oklahoma
“Awesome Alaskan cabin experience!”
Reviewed 15 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015
people found this review helpful

My wife and I stayed here last week and loved it. We enjoy getting off the beaten path a little and the location was perfect. It is only 10-15 minutes from downtown Fairbanks and even though Simon's cabin is a couple hundred yards away, when you sit on the front porch overlooking the pond you feel like there is nobody around for miles. We saw fresh moose tracks around the area every day, we didn't see them but could hear them moving through the trees late at night. The out house was fine, the shower/sauna was really very nice, we could both take a good shower heating up one pot of water. The cabin is well built and clean, we just brought a few groceries, everything you need for cooking most things is there. The view from upstairs is amazing and we watched the northern lights 3 out of the 4 nights we were there (the other night was cloudy). We we're in Fairbanks visiting our new baby granddaughter so we didn't get to spend as much time at the cabin as we would have liked, but we really enjoyed our time there. Due to our schedule we missed meeting Simon but Chantelle met us when we got there and gave us all the info we needed. We also met Chris and she took us to visit the sled dogs. We were very happy, the cabin is exactly what we expected from the pictures and reviews, if we ever make it back to the Fairbanks area this is where we will stay.

Liked best: Location
Liked least: I didn't spend enough time there!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
2 Oct 2016
Hi Mike thanks for your review. I am glad you both enjoyedyourstay here.good job on getting shower system going.if am am around I usually fire up sauna for people
Please come visit us again .thanks simon
alexkorla...
Melbourne, Florida
“Pond Cabin”
Reviewed 7 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We stayed at Simon's Pond Cabin in mid-August hiking
the trails nearby and exploring Fairbanks and vicinity.
This was the best trip we have taken in the last few years
and we sincerely thank Simon and Chantelle for helping
us make it happen.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The view from upstairs
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Nanette J
Anchorage, Alaska
“AWESOME”
Reviewed 2 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015

My husband and daughters went up to take our youngest daughter to college in Fairbanks.
And I am so lucky that I found this little gem on trip advisor. I can't wait to go visit my daughter so I can stay there myself again. I really enjoyed the pictures and my family said that it was a very nice clean and cozy little log cabin. Thank you so much Simon

Travelling group: Teenagers
Kjs0689
“What A Great Experience!!”
Reviewed 12 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015
people found this review helpful

Simon, was a most gracious host the whole I was there. He did have to go out of town for a bit, but he made sure that someone on the property would take care of anything I needed.
It was fun trading stories with Simon! He is the coolest Kiwi (from New Zealand) I have ever met. I had the pleasure serving with some Kiwi soldiers in the Middle East, so I have met a few.
I asked Simon why did he move to Alaska? He said 25 years ago he came for just a brief visit, but ended up staying. Simon said" I was in the greatest country on the planet, the best state on the planet, but what made me stay was the very interesting and friendly people I met. When you talk with Simon you see the passion he has about where he lives and what he has accomplished. I envy him in a lot of ways... Wish I could stay at the cabin forever. Living his lifestyle is not for everyone, but I would sure love to give it a try.
If you want to experience a relaxing nature filled atmosphere I definitely recommend staying at the "Pond Cabin".
The cabin is well built, nicely equipped, and very spacious. It's a beautiful cabin inside and out. The bed is very comfy as well as the futon downstairs. Plenty of pots and pans and most essential items you will need.

Pros-
Location- not a lot around you, but peace and quiet.
Great customer service to ensure his guest has everything needed.
At night you can hear the moose scrape the trees and call out, the birds and other wildlife calling out.
Price- considering the other cabin with the same amenities I would say it's a great deal.

No cons in my book, but you have to like staying in a dry cabin and everything associated with it- outhouse, shower that has a pump drawn from water in a bucket that you heat up. Simon provides the water and the propane burner to do all of that.

I stayed from the beginning of May until the end of May. I will hopefully provide you with a few tips if you plan to visit next year during that timeframe.
When the snow melts and the rains come you will need a 4x4 to get down the road to the property. You cannot drive right up to this cabin. It's not a long walk to the cabin.
Bring bug spray during the summer months... Mosquitoes like all of the water that is around.
The cabin does have dark window coverings, but not on the big windows upstairs. I was there in May and it was dark for only a brief time early in the morning. Bring a sleep mask if you want to sleep when it's light out. As I am sure you know about Alaska during the summer the sun shines almost 24/7.
Simon I am envious of you! You were a great host, I thank you for allowing me to spend time in your piece of heaven.
I know my review was lengthy, but I hope it helps you all.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
22 May 2015
Hi Kiley

Thanks you for your lovely review. As you know Simon is away in Galena at present so I thought I would reply in his absence. I am the other business partner. I am really glad you had a great time in Alaska. It is a special place and has a sneaky way of stealing a place in your heart that makes you come back time and time again. I hope you will come back again to your second home and visit us again.

Warm Regards
Chris
Easton, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 April 2015 for a stay in March 2015
person found this review helpful

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Getting some great pictures of the sky from the frozen pond at night.
Liked least: Having to find time to sleep!
Travelling group: Friends
People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
22 May 2015
Hi Ben

We are so glad you all had a great time in Fairbanks. It was so much fun having you and your friends stay with us. You were all perfect guests and hope we see you back again one day.

Regards

Chris
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing