“Farm to table dining”
Review of Gristmill

Gristmill
Reserve with OpenTable
Gristmill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #523 of 5,733 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We came here after an 18 mike run- kept this as the destination. Got here about 4:30pm on a Saturday.
They have tables inside as well as out in the garden. It was still cold and we sat outside with heaters warming us up.
The brunch menu was still going, the dinner menu starts at 5pm. We wanted individual pizzas and they were on the dinner menu. So we had some beer and light fare to get us to 5pm. The salad of mixed greens was simple and delicious! The bacon dish came out crisp and salty, just as I like it.
At 5, we ordered our pizzas. I had the simple red with a poached egg. The other pizza was a pepperoni. The ingredients come from specific farms. The sourdough pizza dough is thin and delicious. Perfect pizzas.
Friendly staff.

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

I’d normally give a place like this four stars, but they get an extra star for sparkling water on the house. I’m not sure if this is a regular thing, or only on occasion. I love seltzer, but I’m usually too stingy to splurge on several glasses. So for me, seltzer on the house automatically elevated the meal!

The first thing you’ll notice when walking in here is the amazing smell. Then you’ll spend most of your meal discussing what they’re cooking and baking that can possibly create these delicious scents. You’ll want to walk up to the oven and take a peek, but you’ll hopefully resist. They prepare a lot of ingredients in house here, including the bread and butter, which is really what makes this place special.

The food here was excellent, four stars. My issue is that the descriptions for some dishes are a bit misleading. My daughter ordered the grandmas mushroom slice, which we were told was pizza. I thought pizza on the menu was odd, but that’s what she wanted. It was nothing like pizza. It was a thick slice of whole grain type bread, topped with various mushrooms. It was more of a tartine, although with the mushrooms soaking through the bread, it tasted almost quiche like. It was absolutely delicious in my opinion, but the menu should describe it better. My daughter was very unhappy. The appetizer we ordered was out of this world delicious but also not so well described. It was a garlic knot filled with cream cheese, ricotta, smoked salmon and dill. The garlic knot was more of an everything bagel. I’m not sure why, but we were thinking of soft garlicky garlic knots, not a very small thin bagel. Still, it was amazing, probably the best thing we had here.

I ordered the bacon, egg and sourdough. The bacon was excellent, really crispy, thick and delicious. Overall though, the sandwich felt oily and heavy. I think it would’ve been better served open faced on a thick slice of sourdough bread. My sisters had the sweet potato hash and the biscuits, both of which they really loved. The biscuits were served with a really delicious house-made jam.

Another fun little touch: My daughter ordered a hot chocolate, and it came topped with a skewer of what tasted like brûléed homemade cinnamon marshmallows. She was thrilled! (Sell those marshmallows in bags, I want some!)

Overall, great brunch place, not your typical avocado toast place. We’ll be back.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Went here for a nice Sunday Brunch. Unique twist on French toast was a hit with our family. Overall good experience with some very interesting looking desserts served at the table beside us. Relatively small and busy - so expect to wait a few minutes if you want a table vs sitting at the bar - or make a reservation for larger groups.

Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

My friend chose this place after we spent the afternoon wandering Gowanus Open Studios weekend. It was inviting and seeing the wood fire oven walking in and the back outdoor seating sealed the deal. They are serious about their breads and pizzas, along with seasonal ingredients, which is why their offerings are delicious. The waitress was super helpful with her drink recommendations and on point with her food favorites. I didnt think Park Slope had any restaurants to come back to, but I'd be down to check out more of Gristmill.

Reviewed 7 June 2017

We had dinner with the family here. It was busy but quiet and though the servers seemed a little out of sync, we had a great time! Three pizzas easily served 6 of us. The cheese pizza was the best followed behind by the red pizza and the potato and kale. Some of us found the pizzas a little too salty. The yogurt and cucumbers were delicious as were the greens as appetizers. The best of the bunch was the Loxness Knotster - order one per person!! For dessert the coffee sundae is fun - try getting into the magic shell! And the sorbet and chocolate cake were delicious! There are good bar choices and the winner was the Straight Up G & T - cool, pretty, and more of an elegant cocktail than a normal gin and tonic. They also have a beautiful patio - it looked lovely and quiet!

Been to Gristmill? Share your experiences!