All reviews birch room quiet street other guests sharing stories fall color tour b and b north shore place to stay wonderful hosts five nights breakfast was delicious small fridge downtown area spent two nights main floor thoroughly enjoyed our stay great weekend
Reviewed 28 June 2015

We stayed in the Superior Room which is approximately 650 square feet. The whirlpool tub for two felt great after a long day of hiking and exploring the area. Since we were
traveling for nearly 3 weeks, the suite had a homelike, spacious and comfortable feel.
Max and Sherri made an excellent effort to attend to our veggie and gluten-free
needs at breakfast. Also, they were extremely helpful answering questions about
the area restaurants and attractions. Besides that, they are extremely kind and pleasant
and very good conversationalists. Also, we had great chats with other guests.
In the afternoon, we could make our tea from the water and tea bags in constant
supply and head out to sit on their large deck under the umbrella table. At times, we
chatted with other guests, and I knit or sometimes read. Very relaxing!
Another nice feature is their gardens that surround the house and provide much
beauty to the yard.
One suggestion I would give to future guests is to bring a comfortable pair of slippers.
I had my sandal-like, orthoheel ones. The hosts ask guests to remove shoes and
leave them in the foyer area until you go out of the house. With my slippers, I felt
great all the time. This suggestion might help you if like us you often wear shoes
in your home. All in all, our four night stay was excellent. It was fun when dining
or walking by the shore of Lake Superior in town to great and to chat with other
guests. Also, the location of the b and b to the town is great re: restaurants,
shops, laundromat and Betsy Bowen Art Studio. We walked a few blocks and
that was pleasant too.

Room Tip: See rooms over their website and find one that suits your travel needs the best
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2015 via mobile

We stayed in the La Berta suite for a night in May and it was amazing. It was spacious with two bedrooms and had an airy and open design. It was clean and had everything we needed. The owners were so wonderful, even mailing me a pair of shoes I left there. Breakfast was also great. The location was ideal - within 10 minutes walk of everything interesting in Grand Marais.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2015

My wife and I had occasion to visit Grand Marais this past weekend and opted to stay at the MacArthur House B&B. The B&B is a short distance from the downtown area, providing easy access to all attractions and restaurants. We stayed in the Superior Room, which featured a very comfortable king sized bed, cathedral ceiling, and spacious accomodations. Our hosts Max & Sherri were most welcoming and friendly, engaging their guests in conversation while serving delicious and unique breakfasts. Maxx is a also avery talented musician as it turns out ! and a great cook. We had a most enjoyable stay and would definately stay here again on future vists.

Room Tip: Not sure about the other rooms, but the Superior Room featured a shower only, and no bathtub. It is located on the second floor of the residence. The shower stall while quite adequate may be a bit small for larger infividuals.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2015

We stayed at the MacArthur House B & B last Saturday night. It was a great location, just a few minutes walk to the restaurants downtown. We stayed in the North Shore room, the smallest of their rooms. It was quite an adequate size, with a small fridge, and a good sized closet. There is a small shower but no bathtub. The sink is in the bedroom, not part of the bathroom. The room was well decorated, very clean and the bed was comfortable. The room did not have a TV, but there is a TV in the common room on the main floor.
Sherri was a wonderful, friendly hostess. The breakfast of Apple French Toast and fried potatoes was substantial and very tasty.
We would definitely stay here again when in Grand Marais.

Room Tip: The North Shore room does not have a TV
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2014 via mobile

I had stayed here under previous owners and a different name and loved it. The newest owners updated the motel room I stayed in and it was fantastic. Tile floor and bathrooms have been updated. Prices for the motel room only increased about $20 with new owners and updates. Location is up the street from the main street in and out of Grand Marais. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2014