• Restaurant
US$230
TripAdvisor
East Bay Suites(Grand Marais)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbirch roomquiet streetother guestsfall color tourb and bplace to staywonderful hostsfive nightsbreakfast was delicioussmall fridgewonderful roomdowntown areaspent two nightsmain floorthoroughly enjoyed our staystayed one nightbed was comfortable
Reviewed 12 July 2015

My wife and myself stayed here over the holiday weekend, and it was an absolute joy! The proprietors are wonderful, charming, knowledgeable, and fun people; the view from the spacious deck is amazing, and the breakfasts were phenomenal! Mac Arthur House is a very attractive, modern, and spacious B&B. The dining area overlooks the deck; the rooms are very large and tastefully decorated, and have very high vaulted ceilings. The sitting room area is comfortable and nicely decorated, with a fireplace, music, and video. The overall ambiance is not that of a house that has been converted, but rather that of a space designed for this specific purpose, and with the comfort and experience of the guests placed at the forefront. There are also very cool cabins available for people needing family accommodations, rather than a room for two. Mac Arthur House is, in my opinion, the best B&B experience to be had-not only on the North Shore, but anywhere! Grand Marais is a great place to visit, and we were made to feel very much at home at Mac Arthur House. I would recommend Mac Arthur House to anyone wanting to visit the area, and take in the blend of arts and nature that no other place provides quite like Grand Marais. You will love Mac Arthur House, guaranteed!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2015 via mobile

My husband I came to Grand Marais for a long weekend. Being a holiday weekend, many places were booked or at the higher rates of the season. We were pleased with the value of of the Sugar Maple Cabin. There was limited kitchen facilities but we were happy to have a fridge for beverages and leftovers. Nothing fancy but certainly fulfilled our needs! Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2015

We stayed in the Superior Room which is approximately 650 square feet. The whirlpool tub for two felt great after a long day of hiking and exploring the area. Since we were
traveling for nearly 3 weeks, the suite had a homelike, spacious and comfortable feel.
Max and Sherri made an excellent effort to attend to our veggie and gluten-free
needs at breakfast. Also, they were extremely helpful answering questions about
the area restaurants and attractions. Besides that, they are extremely kind and pleasant
and very good conversationalists. Also, we had great chats with other guests.
In the afternoon, we could make our tea from the water and tea bags in constant
supply and head out to sit on their large deck under the umbrella table. At times, we
chatted with other guests, and I knit or sometimes read. Very relaxing!
Another nice feature is their gardens that surround the house and provide much
beauty to the yard.
One suggestion I would give to future guests is to bring a comfortable pair of slippers.
I had my sandal-like, orthoheel ones. The hosts ask guests to remove shoes and
leave them in the foyer area until you go out of the house. With my slippers, I felt
great all the time. This suggestion might help you if like us you often wear shoes
in your home. All in all, our four night stay was excellent. It was fun when dining
or walking by the shore of Lake Superior in town to great and to chat with other
guests. Also, the location of the b and b to the town is great re: restaurants,
shops, laundromat and Betsy Bowen Art Studio. We walked a few blocks and
that was pleasant too.

Room Tip: See rooms over their website and find one that suits your travel needs the best
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2015 via mobile

We stayed in the La Berta suite for a night in May and it was amazing. It was spacious with two bedrooms and had an airy and open design. It was clean and had everything we needed. The owners were so wonderful, even mailing me a pair of shoes I left there. Breakfast was also great. The location was ideal - within 10 minutes walk of everything interesting in Grand Marais.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2015

My wife and I had occasion to visit Grand Marais this past weekend and opted to stay at the MacArthur House B&B. The B&B is a short distance from the downtown area, providing easy access to all attractions and restaurants. We stayed in the Superior Room, which featured a very comfortable king sized bed, cathedral ceiling, and spacious accomodations. Our hosts Max & Sherri were most welcoming and friendly, engaging their guests in conversation while serving delicious and unique breakfasts. Maxx is a also avery talented musician as it turns out ! and a great cook. We had a most enjoyable stay and would definately stay here again on future vists.

Room Tip: Not sure about the other rooms, but the Superior Room featured a shower only, and no bathtub. It is located on the second floor of the residence. The shower stall while quite adequate may be a bit small for larger infividuals.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple