“Dinner for Two”
Review of 1618 Midtown

1618 Midtown
Ranked #105 of 936 Restaurants in Greensboro
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A name is but a name, or is it? It's a question the proprietors of 1618 Wine Lounge, newly renamed 1618 Midtown, have contemplated for several years. The establishment opened in 2011 in the Irving Park Plaza as a 38-seat lounge and bar, serving artisan cocktails, craft beers and wine. "In the beginning, we were mainly an after-work spot, with patrons enjoying cocktails through the early evening," said co-proprietor Nick Wilson. Through the years, the Wine Lounge evolved into much more than a place to hang out and enjoy a glass of wine and appetizers with friends. With customers' desires for an expanded menu growing, major renovations began in 2013, adding a 28-seat semi-private dining room to the back of the restaurant and a full kitchen, increasing the restaurant's capacity to create a wider menu.
Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Having visited 1618 when it was a wine bar and recently enjoyed their downtown location, I was excited to try Midtown. It has the same class and ambiance as their wine bar along with a relaxed vibe.

My husband and I ate their burgers after our yummy, crispy broccolini (with garlic and parmesan). We each tried a different one (the Texan and Californian). Both had delicious meat from Summerfield Farms. The other best part was the pretzel bun.

Next time we will leave room for dessert if we can! :) Thank you for great service, too. Looking forward to pumpkin slushes this fall.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

I brought my 20 year old nephew for dinner while I was in town. Everything was excellent, from being given walking directions from my hotel, to the strawberry and white balsamic salad (which they split onto two plates for us), to the crispy broccolini, to the shrimp scampi and grilled grouper, to the peaches and cream torte, Every dish was perfectly sized, artfully presented, and delicious. The atmosphere was just right for the two of us to sit and get caught up and the waitstaff was friendly and personable. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

Great seafood! Small bites to share. We ordered tuna tartar and some appetizers and everything was delicious. Great wine and cocktails selection.

Reviewed 5 February 2017

One of the best "hot spots" in Greensboro. Stacey and her crew are always welcoming and the bar and menu are one of the very best in the Triad. I have hosted many fundraisers and charity events here as well and they could not be more accommodating. Love love the 1618 family!

Reviewed 19 November 2016

This was a Friday evening. My wife and I met friends at the 1618 Wine Bar and were escorted to the back room which was a little more reserved and quiet thus excellent for conversation. We started with a salad with house dressing, beet topping and a squash bisque. I am not one typically clamoring for squash but the salad and the bisque were delicious- to the last bite.

We had 2 bottles of Rickety Bridge Cabernet wine( a South African vintage) to go with the salad and the meal and the wine was smooth and easy on the palate, not at all heavy. I really liked this wine.

The menu is small with a few choices which makes it wonderful since you do not have to sit and try to flip coins about which to try. The 3 top choices suggested by the waiter included the pork tenderloin, the lentil trout and the beef tenderloin, My wife and I chose the beef but our friends picked the trout. I have to say the beef was so tender and so savory that my mouth watered waiting for each bite. This was served over bar-b-que brussel sprouts. I am not a brussel sprouts fan but these were so well prepared and tasty that I ate every last one.

We followed with the dessert and an Americana coffee. The desserts are served as a choice of 1, 3, or 5 of the 5 offerings. Thinking these would be very small, I was extremely pleased to see that the size of the offering truly filled my sweet tooth desire.

I rate the service as exceptional (5 star), the food (5 star) and the atmosphere having a friends that I did not have to shout to be heard made for an easy 4 star rating a this borders on a 5 star rating.

In summary, this is a gem of a restaurant in Greensboro, NC and definitely worth the visit. The chef did a wonderful job of food preparation and presentation. I enjoyed me visit immensely and am looking forward to my next night out. Great food, (for a supposed wine bar the food was exceptional and wine for a good value, I would expect to pay more for this meal at most restaurants. Bon apetite and try out this small friendly place with superb cuisine.