All reviewsthe ownernational parkcrab marketlovely placekep beachphnom penhpool tablepepper farmstayed for nightsrabbit islandtuk tukguesthousedominiqueusdgarden
Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

The male owner seemed to be completely disinterested in helping us find our room, or even acknowledging us as guests.

Our $15 a night room was very small and disappointing. The air con was nice, but continually spat water over the bed, dropped ice chunks on the floor and would often stop and start. The toilet water incredibly small, with the show head directly above the toilet, and very nearly not enough space to open the door and get out at the same time.

From the time we got back, about 8, until 12 at night they were partying downstairs with very very loud music. When asked to turn the music down politely they responded with something like "it is down season, we are partying", which is fine - if they didn't have guests. Loud dog yelps were also heard and we're apparently made from them forcing a dog to jump off of a table and hurting itself each time. The owner gives off the sense that he doesn't want to deal with anyone who isn't French.

Try somewhere else as this was an incredibly disappointing experience for us.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hendrik O
Tong B, Propriétaire at The Boat House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2016

1 - You booked a double room with fan and you preferred a single room with AC to be closer of your parents ! It's your choice ! Stop complaining!
2 - We repaired the AC ! thanks to the description of a customer more intelligent than you ! A customer who prefers to speak live and not to write on tripadvisor !
3 - About the Bastille Day, about the owner and about the dog …. read my comment already sent to your parents !
4 - You did not stay 4 nights but only one !
5 - Finally, two critics for one stay... you find that honest !

Reviewed 28 June 2016

We stayed in the main house for a few nights in February this year. Our room was lovely with a very comfortable bed and nicely decorated. Lovely and cool despite the punishing heat. The guest house is very conveniently located, about equidistant between the Crab Market and the beach, and close to the entrance of the national park. It is set back from the road so quiet too. But the best bit of the stay was the hosts. It is run by a lovely French family who are very welcoming and helpful, and also very intelligent and charming hosts. I enjoyed our discussions about politics, France and Cambodia. I also enjoyed their decent wine in the shaded bar (you need the shade believe me)! It probably would help if you spoke some French but I don't, although I understand a little, and they indulged me in English. I would recommend this guest house.

Room Tip: I would stay in the main house if given the choice.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2016

I stayed at the Boat House for 3 nights and would highly recommend this place. The room I stayed in was perfect for someone that wanted a private room, but didn't want to pay extortionate prices. For $15 a night I got a mid-sized private room with air-con, table and chair, and a bathroom - basic, but all you need when you're out and about all day enjoying the sights.

I came in low season, so there weren't too many other guests, but the French owners are friendly, interesting and kind - one of them even made me ginger tea with honey when I came back soaked from a rainy day on Rabbit Island! There's a pool table, a dartboard and a bar downstairs, along with great seating and a garden, so a great social setting when there are more people staying there.

Stayed: May 2016
Tong B, Propriétaire at The Boat House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2016

Thank you W... for your stay in Boat House. Ginger tea is minimum we can do for you after your crazy trip on Rabbit island !!!!! We hope your have better weather now.... have a safe journey....
Friendly

Reviewed 25 April 2016 via mobile

Drink is standard price, food quite selected can be pricy for some dishes. The ambience is awesome, right in front of shelly beach, good view is at the front the front sitting (can be quite warm) and shade area with good vibe is at the back area.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lili_tran
Reviewed 2 March 2016 via mobile

Double AC room was nice, but so many issues came up- the bathroom drain was clogged, the AC didn't work half the time, etc. The man who runs the place helped out a lot and gave us a small discount because the AC didn't work. The staff who work at the restaurant and bar though were not particularly friendly- they ignored us the one time we ate breakfast there, and I had to go up and ask if we could order and they stared at me blankly- it was so awkward and uncomfortable. Also if you don't speak French, good luck.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nbk18
Tong B, Propriétaire at The Boat House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2016

You stayed in a Khmer house of 70s which we try to renovate step by step.
In Cambodia, pipes are narrow and have trouble for evacuation with our cosmetics
We planned to replace the AC in the next days (we have to go to Ppenh to buy new AC)
As for the staff who does not speak English !!!!! I remind you that we are in Cambodia and that few of them went to the school, they don't know to read or to write !!! Then English !!!!
My friend and I, we speak approximate English, enough to give all the explanations necessary for your stay !!! And we answer for all the questions !!!!
Our guesthouse is a quiet place and we want to continue like that ! If you prefer staff around you all day long to serve you .... choose a resort with beautiful bungalows and beautiful price !