“Awesome authentic Mexican!”
Review of Canteen

Canteen
Ranked #188 of 1,041 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$3 - US$14
Description: Canteen is a neighborhood taqueria specializing in tacos and other Mexican dishes made with inventive ingredients and high-quality tortillas. We feature a full bar with a focus on cocktails made with tequila and mezcal. The décor is bright, cozy, and comfortable, and service style is hospitable, fun and friendly.
Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

We loved our trip to Canteen! Between the 3 of us, we had the cauliflower, carnitas, farmer cheese, and green Chile chicken tacos. All were phenomenal. But the beans and crispy rice stole the show. It was absolutely amazing! And make sure you get a strawberry margarita. It’s not too sweet, made with real strawberries, and definitely is worth the money. We’ll definitely be back!

Aureliano M, General Manager at Canteen, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

Dear Kelsey,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I'm so glad you enjoyed all your tacos. I know that the crispy rice and beans get many great compliments. Very happy to hear that you loved the margaritas.
Please comeback soon and ask for me, so I can thank you in person.

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

Friend and I decided to stop in for after work drinks and appetizers. First we tried sitting at the bar at a bar table with no chairs. When we started moving some chairs we were scolded by the woman behind the bar. Then we tried a regular table and were told that we couldn't sit there because it was too big. Next we asked our server what beers were on tap. He didn't know. He told us it was his 3rd day so he would have to ask someone. The bar tender was about 9 feet away. He didn't ask him or look at the beer taps. He could have asked one of the 4 waitresses hanging out near the kitchen talking and having a good time. It went downhill from there. Unbelievable! On the up side, the food was good, but there is a lot of good food in Madison. Stay away unless you enjoy untrained incompetent staff.

2  Thank Pamela A
Aureliano M, General Manager at Canteen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Dear Pamela,

My name is Aureliano Montes (Arle), and I am the General Manager at Canteen. My job and my goal is to provide each one of our guests with a superb service and food experience at all times. I'm sorry to hear that we fail on the service on your last visit. You should have been able to seat at the table you wanted. This is not the way we normally operate our business. I apologize if the host on duty didn't know anything about our beer on tap nor find any help to find out what we carry. I totally understand your frustration, and I want to make it better. I will talk to the employees on duty that day and coach them to make sure things like this don't happen again.

I would love to have you back into our establishment for a better experience. "our treat".

Please call me, email me, or text me your full name and a mailing address, so I can send you something in the mail.
Lastly. If you comeback to Canteen, please ask for me, so I can thank you in person, make sure we take good care of you.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I hope to hear from you soon!

Arle Montes GM
Work: 608-2855703
Cell: 608-609-9671
amontes@foodfightinc.com

Reviewed 1 November 2017

I've been here 4 or 5 times for lunch, always feel welcome, service is friendly, location is small, intimate, menu isn't over the top full of choices, (you won't find pages of options like some Mexican restaurants), but everything that I have had, has been excellent and tastes homemade. I highly recommend the chicken burrito and the cauliflower tacos...(they have a list of tacos to choose from, chicken, pork, steak, fish, etc), but have yet to have anything I didn't enjoy.

(the Cauliflower tacos are tender, but not mushy, pieces of cauliflower, covered in a red chili sauce, with tomatillo or green tomato slices, cilantro on a corn tortilla, the flavor pops, really unexpected and delicious).

Reviewed 21 October 2017

My husband and I went here for dinner last night and everything was DELICIOUS. We had the brisket, steak, chicken and fried cauliflower tacos and they were all excellent. Our favorite was the brisket one.

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Located up in the Capital Square, I was looking for a New Mexican restaurant for us to go. I had a hankering for a margarita too ☺️

We ended up sitting at the bar as the people in front of us took the last table. The restaurant is brightly decorated and very lively. It was on the louder side but not too horrible that you had to yell to speak to each other.

I ordered the strawberry margarita which turned out to be too strong. It was frozen, and it can from the machine. I could only drink about half of it before getting a headache. Even my boyfriend mentioned how strong it was. I am wondering if the handmade ones are any better.

For my dinner, I ordered the enchiladas. The green sauce with the cheese on top has so much good flavor. As long as each bite had the sauce and cheese on top, yum!

Service was great and friendly. Since we were sitting at the bar on the side where all the servers were, we had superb service. The only downside was that it started getting a little crowded with people waiting for tables that people started encroaching in our space with their drinks on the table right next to our dishes. I guess that’s how the bar is supposed to be, just not what I am used to.

Overall, I would be willing to come back and try out some more food.

3  Thank Lily C

Been to Canteen? Share your experiences!