“Pats the greatest”

New Orleans School of Cooking
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We teach the basics of Louisiana Cooking in a way you’ll never forget. Fun is a primary ingredient in our kitchen! Our Cajun / Creole experts teach New Orleans specialties such as Gumbo, Jambalaya and Pralines, seasoning them with history, trivia and tall tales! We offer demonstration classes and hands-on classes daily! DEMONSTRATION CLASS: Watch, learn & eat! Sit back and enjoy watching our skilled, entertaining chefs prepare a classic Cajun / Creole meal for you while learning about the vibrant history of New Orleans cuisine - enjoy all the demonstrated items, as well as local Abita beer with your meal! HANDS ON CLASS: Cook & eat an authentic Louisiana meal! In this highly interactive class, our guests prepare a complete dinner with one of our expert chefs, and afterwards they are able to sit down and enjoy the meal they have just created. Served with red & white wine.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Pat was overflowing with history and cooking expertise!! We loved her and ber cookong that she is so passionate about.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Write a ReviewReviews (4,246)
All reviews
in 52 reviews
"learn how"
in 69 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018

My adult daughter and I did the hands-on class. Chef Matt was incredibly informative, knowledgeable, encouraging, helpful and entertaining. I would recommend this in a heartbeat, and will definitely re-book on my next trip to New Orleans, and in fact my daughter and I wished that we had time on our agenda to book another class. Best of all, the end result meal was one of the best we've ever had. Beverages are included!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

This demonstration class was fun, delicious and the history lesson was very interesting. It was one of the highlights of our trip!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Absolutely loved this, our daughter loves to cook, Chef Pat was amazing and food was excellent. My husband is quite picky when it comes to food and he ate everything. I highly recommend that anyone who wants a little history and great food, check this out

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 April 2018

I was with my all-female crew and sort of dragged to this activity; I had the opportunity to do my second day at World War II Museum -- a tough call for this non-chef Dad. But I gutted it out and within three minutes of the class starting, was really having a ball. The key to a cooking class (we've done a few on trips) is a great chef-teacher who stresses having fun (hey, we are on vacation here! I got fussed at in Florence). But the good folks at the New Orleans School of Cooking get that fun factor. We started at 10am. We had iced tea as well as bloody marys available for folks as an ice breaker.

Matt G our chef-teacher was great. Gave us a good overview of creole-cajun cooking (what the differences are and how the unique historical threads and influences in New Orleans came together and shaped this unique style of cooking). We learned how to make a good roux, and surprise surprise -- grits with shrimp -- which were plate licking good (I have never voluntarily eaten grits before). The class was so good, we would have come back the next day for the exact same dishes.

Matt G had a great way of getting the class of strangers working together. This was a fabulous 3.5 hours that felt like an hour. We had beer with the lunch we had made which was fabulous. I am getting hungry reminiscing in typing this review. Appeals to all ages and non-chefs won't be embarrassed or fail to have fun. I would think even serious cooks will learn a tip or two from this class, judging from the reactions of the more experienced chef-students. We were a class of various sized groups -- something like 8 or 10 altogether. A blast.