All reviewscommon areasbooked a private roomlarge kitchenswimming poolown bathroommid citycooked breakfastfrench quarterthe main housecanal streetlounge areatrolley stopmardi grasjazz festbourbon stnolabayou
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I went with a group of friends trying to find a place to stay that was within our budget, clean, and a great location. This place was more than i thought it would be. I walked in and the set up and atmosphere was awesome. We didnt know what to expect with the room but we were very pleased. We stayed in a 4 person suite with a bathroom, it was so clean and had everything we needed. This hostel had a clean pool and a great place to hang out in the backyard. Everyone was so friendly, even the other people who stayed there. The only thing I would do different is stay longer, and actually stay and hang out the hostel and meet people. Also, the location is great. It is a literally less than a block away from the trolley. Even thought the area around it looks a little sketchy I did not feel uncomfortable in that neighborhood.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This is one of the first hostels I had ever stayed in and I liked it. We met heaps of cool people who we still keep in touch with, by the end of our stay we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I booked with this hostel as online it looked like a really fun place to be, esepcially if you wanted to experience the new orleans laid back fun vibe. When we got there i wasnt so sure we'd made the right decision. First of all, the houses and buildings surrounding it are all abandoned or destroyed (probably from Hurricane Katrina that have just been left to rot) which is kind of offputting. This was only the 2nd hostel we'd ever stayed in, the first being a chain one in DC, so this was a bit of a shock.
The atmosphere is very laid back, half of the staff actually live there which is a bit wierd. The place is very quirky eg strange posters on the walls, pictures of random people stuck everywhere, walls painted different colours, odd furniture and a random cat that lives there.
The common room has several couches and a tv but i decided not to sit in there as it all looked filthy like you would catch fleas from it. Plus seeing some of the people that sit there all day not moving and looking like they've never bathed is not inviting.
There was some odd mix up with the booking, so we had to spend the first night in a building next door. There is grafitti or "art" as some of the travellers may call it all over the walls e.g on the door as you leave it says "do you have your key? do you have your virginity?" Kinda funny, yet not pleasent.
The 2nd night we were moved to a building out the back. This place is like a hippy commune, there is the main building, then about 4 or so out buildings filled with rooms.
Our 2nd room had 12 people in it, some looked like they'd been there a while, my room included 2 of the staff, plus 1 guy who they were letting stay there for free in return for him painting something wierd on the walls. There were another 3 or so bedrooms in our block and only 2 toilets and 2 showers.
This place is very run down mainly i think because everyone seems to be either drunk, high or just doesnt give a damn.
HOWEVER,
saying all of that, once got over our initial impression this place isnt actually a bad place to stay.
The bedding they provided was clean, the people staying there were all friendly, there is a table and chairs on the front porch which provided some entertainment for us drinking with some swedish guys.
You need the attitude "if you cant beat them join them" when staying here. Stop being uptight or fussy and just go with the flow. It can be hard if you have high standards or rather standards in general but just enjoy it for what it is.
Can be noisy with lots of people coming and going in the room at night (nothing my ipod couldnt solve), didnt see any bugs which was good.
There is a kitchen, pool and stage for live bands but i didnt use/experience any of that. There is free wifi and they do bbqs and cook breakfast for a cheap price, again i didnt have that so cant say if it was nice or not.
The lockers arnt big enough to get your luggage in like some places so you end up with everyone leaving their suitcases out on the floor or shoved under the bed so kinda messy.
The french quarter is a 20 minute or so walk straight down the next street. Or you can get a trolly (tram/streetcar) for around $1 which is a bit faster.
I would reccomend this place to young people or to people of any age who arnt fussy, up for a laugh and not to bothered about where they are staying. Anyone else, pick somewhere else.
Overall, i had fun there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah_11e
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Well, This was my first time traveling on my own. I was very nervous to say the least, and when I finally arrived at this hostel I was not sure if I had made the right choice. It is a little run down and the washrooms get dirty very fast (what do you expect, there are a ton of people staying there at one time) but, despite these minor issues, staying at this hostel has been one of the most amazing experiences in my life. The management is friendly the people are AMAZING. There are so many different type of people from different parts of the world and all walks of life. If you are able to be the tiniest bit sociable I guarantee that you will enjoy your self. The location of this Hostel is convenient, as the street car is right in front of the hostel. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to get to bourbon street, and do not fret, because the doors never close at the hostel so you do not have to worry about being back at a specific time. There are tours you can arrange through the hostel- gator tours and so on. Breakfast and dinner are made there, really good food and cheap. You cant go wrong. Just have an open mind. I met a lot of new people, enjoyed the music, I loved the food and the liveliness of New Orleans. All together a magnificent get away.
Ps. They were very accommodating- I had only booked my stay for a couple of days in a private room, however, I cancelled other plans in order to stay in NOLA and they were able to squeeze me in to their female dorms.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank lexy12345
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I stayed here, I liked it. I would stay here again. Good staff, good room , good location

• Stayed: August 2010