“Great atmosphere, Fresh Oysters”

Felix's Restaurant and Oyster Bar
Ranked #91 of 1,997 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 17 May 2016

This place was great. We sat at the bar and watched the guys shuck oysters for over an hour. They told us some great stories and made awesome recommendations of what to order. It was really fun sitting at the bar and trying the specials. If you love oysters - this is the place to go!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,274)

Reviewed 17 May 2016

We ate the fried shrimp platter. This came with fries, hush puppies, and coleslaw. The shrimp were big and breaded well. There were a ton of fries (shoe string) under the shrimp and 4 or 5 hush puppies. The coleslaw was not the coleslaw you get from Raisin Canes, so I have to say that I had better. My wife went with the Deluxe Bloody Mary. This included a boiled shrimp in the glass with a few vegies such as celery and hot pole bean as well as a raw oyster on the side. She has tasted better Marys at Acme Oyster House and Deanies Seafood restaurant down the street. The service for a Sunday dinner was very fast and there was no wait to be seated like at Acme Oyster across the street. So when you are in a hurry or do not want to wait in line, skip Acme and go with Felix's. The food is just as good and the price is the same.

Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

This place was recommended by a tour guide. Although I did not like my food, my friends meals were good. I ordered the jambalaya, and it looked like it was scooped into balls with an ice cream scooper. It was mushy, and barely any pieces of chicken and shrimp inside. I left still hungry.

My friends ordered the oysters, alligator, and fried shrimp which were all very good though.

The server was not friendly, but not terrible either. I'd go back, but try something else!

Reviewed 16 May 2016

Early evening and the line at Acme was huge. We saw that Felix’s was shorter although and crossed the street. Greeter walked down the line and asked if we would mind sitting at the bar. If so, she could seat us immediately. We bit. Thinking we’d be at a regular bar, we were surprised to be seated directly in front of the three oyster shuckers. Great theatre and those guys are accomplished. We had them raw, not on a plate as usual, but just placed on the bar as they were completed. All the condiments were at your elbow to make your own cocktail sauce, but we just used Crystal. We tried oysters three ways: raw, Rockefeller and Chargrilled. The raw were the best; the Oysters Rockefeller were pretty bland and undistinguished as were the Chargrilled (what Felix’ is supposed to be known for). The wait person behind the bar was not on her game and had to be reminded of one order after a lengthy wait. If it wasn’t for the entertainment provided by the shuckers, it could have been the worst meal of our trip. Note to self: Don’t be put off by longer lines.

Reviewed 14 May 2016

The line is long on Friday night, but worth the wait. Seemed to be locals, not tourists. Not fancy, but fast, efficient service and terrific seafood. We had the plumpest freshest Gulf oysters I've can remember ever having. You mix your own sauce to taste - freshly prepared horseradish - all ingredients on the table. The server brings you just enough paper napkins and lemons. He had fish platter, with sweet hush puppies filled with crawdad, a ton of fries, and so much fish we could share - still juicy it was cooked perfectly. I had salad with homemade dressing - matched just right to the fried food. YUM - wish I had time to go back tonight.