The Original French Market Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #120 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Twelve years before Andrew Jackson won the Battle of New Orleans, The French Market Restaurant & Bar began serving outstanding seafood and ice-cold drinks to visitors and natives alike. Today the ambience remains the same. Hot spicy crawfish, jumbo gulf shrimp, authentic Creole gumbo, red beans and rice as well as real Louisiana specialties are enjoyed with world-famous hurricanes, Cajun bloody Mary's, margaritas and our ice-cold local beers. Join the Marullo Family and Chef David Picou in savoring our grand traditions!
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

We walked into this place not knowing anything about it, we just knew we were hungry. Wow! It was SO good!! It's everything about this place that made it for us. The atmosphere is super cool! We sat by the oyster bar so we got to see that up close and personal, which the kids loved. The man behind the bar let us walk behind where he was to see the crawfish boil that was taking place. That was pretty neat! He was nice enough to give us four crawfish to eat and then demonstrated how to eat them. I had told my husband we weren't leaving New Orleans until we had crawfish.. check! And OMG it was so good! Kind of wish we had ordered that but we had already ordered.
So like I said the waitress was phenomenal! Service will make or break a restaurant, so no issue there. I had the shrimp po boy, my husband had the Jambalaya, and the kids had shrimp and mac and cheese. So SO good! I mean wow! I'm still thinking about it! How I wish we lived closer! You will not be sorry if you go here. Don't stumble upon it, go because it's good and highly recommended. You will love it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

This place is great! The quality of food is so authentic. We've been here for 3 days, BEST SEAFOOD GUMBO to be found in the Quarters, hands down!! Mandy was our waiter, really pleasant. Red beans and rice with catfish, my girlfriend reviewed as delicious. Another had a pound of crawfish, she loved that too! Really good choice and a best bet to eat at!! Enjoy, fellow foodies!

Reviewed 1 July 2017

We weren't really hungry first day and stopped in for something light and our waiter asked if we like biscuits so we each ordered them. 2 fresh hot biscuits each, great coffee and the bill came to about $9. Second time we had their breakfast buffet which was good although I would suggest going before 11 as some items were cooling off. But still good. For those having lunch from the peoples expressions I would say that lunch was also very good. Good jazz band playing the entire time

Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Late check in at our hotel and this place was our first stop. John our server greeted us with a smile and suggestions from the menu. Full bar here with a family atmosphere, no smoking inside so that was a plus. Let me say if we hadn't planned to eat here, the smell from the sidewalk would have enticed us right in. My husband and I ordered the shrimp, myself blackened and his grilled, came with tasty Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes so creamy and to die for, I could have skipped that much mashed potatoes any other day but we both devoured our meal. Shrimp was perfect and not a spot left on the plate. John was quick and no one rushed us out when we were done. We will be back!

Reviewed 25 June 2017

Hostess, didn't seat us where we requested. Waiter was almost offensive. Food was acceptable, but not at all good. No complaints about the beer.