“Right in the middle of the French Quarter”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #9 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Huntington, New York
“Right in the middle of the French Quarter”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Stayed here on a recent business trip and found the hotel and location to be fantastic. The room was a bit small but charming. The bed was comfortable with soft, crisp linens. The building feels old but in a good way. All too often we stay in chain hotels that lack charm and character. This place has both. The location cannot be beat, right in the heart of the French Quarter. Bourbon street is around the corner, close enough if you want it but not in your face if you don't. A small, quaint coffee/lunch spot is a few doors down, Cafe Beignet. The guy at the counter promised that their beignets were much better than Cafe Du Monde's. After happily sampling both, I have to agree. The cafe au lait was excellent as well.

At the center of the hotel is The Carousel Bar, a seemingly authentic revolving merry go round. It is a great place to meet for a drink. We had appetizers in the bar one afternoon which were surprisingly good. Also, as it was a corporate event dinner was on property. I was surprised at how good the food was. I was expecting the usual rubber chicken fare but it turned out to be very tasty. Breakfast was also quite good.

There is a roof top pool which unfortunately I did not get a chance to use. The lounges looked like a nice place to unwind after a day of sight seeing.

I came for business but would definitely return for pleasure given the chance.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Hazel132

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,329)
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I pass through New Orleans often and in general have enjoyed sitting and having a sazerac at the Hotel Monteleone's Carosel Bar. My enjoyment changed dramatically, however, during a recent trip when, as per usual, I ordered a single drink, paid for it with my credit card and closed out the account. The total I was to be billed was $11.88, so imagine my surprise when I looked on my statement to find that the hotel was withholding two separate sums from two fraudulent transactions totaling $12.35 and $99.50. I called the hotel with the original receipt in front of me and after being passed from employee to employee was finally connected with the credit manager who told me that the discrepancy "should be taken care of" sometime in the next several days and that there was "nothing she could do about it." I said that I had been to the hotel many times before and that I closed out my card after a single drink to which she kept asking, as if brain-damaged, "did you close out your card?" All in all the staff were thoroughly unhelpful, adding to the impression of dishonesty in connection with the Hotel Monteleone this incident left me with. I will not be going back, and will instead spend my money at the far more convivial Columns Hotel on St. Charles Avenue.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank CaribIbnBattuta
BHSales, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Dear CariblbnBattuta,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you faced by the accidental charge to your account and the resulting inconveniences with the service your received in attempting to clear up the mistake. I hope you will reconsider your impression of the Carousel Bar and allow us another opportunity to provide you the type of hospitality, ambiance and service upon which our reputation is based.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We had $300 worth of corporate shirts stolen from our meeting room. The guest services representative, Riccio, promised to 'look into' the incedent by reviewing camera footage from the 2 cameras stationed at the two entrances. Nothing was done. After returning home, I contacted the hotel to find out if there was any consequence to the theft and I was dismissed. It was our fault, I was told (this only after we had left the hotel. While still there, we were told that everything would be taken care of...) We had rented the meeting room for 2 and a half days and nothing was offered to compensate us. Also, my private room was left open by the maid (number 934) when the deadbolt was left extended, so upon returning to my room in the afternoon, I discovered that anyone could have walked in and helped themselves to my belongings. DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL FOR ANY EVENTS. Stay at the OMNI.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Melissa E
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Melissa E,

Please accept our deepest apologies that this happened to you during your time at the Hotel Monteleone. We are appalled that we failed so poorly in our responsibility to you as our guest. There simply is no excuse for the inconveniences you experienced. Your comments have been brought to the attention of our Management for review.

I hope you will reconsider your impression of Hotel Monteleone and allow us another opportunity to provide you the type of hospitality, ambiance and service upon which our reputation is established and which you have every right to expect.
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This hotel was the perfect place to stay for runners participating in the Rock'n'Roll marathon. It truly is located within easy walking distance of both the expo and the start line. The staff were very accommidating and the garage parking was reasonable. I highly recommend valet parking here and walking wherever you need to go. The hotel was on the edge of the French Quarter, and there was no where we couldn't get to on foot. Also there were plenty of taxis on hand for emergencies. The only drawback was that the hotel would not tell us until the morning of check out if we could have a late check out and then, they only allowed an additional hour. However, we were able to leave our luggage in the check room and our car in the garage at no additional fee so everything worked out fine.

Room Tip: Go for the e-mail chance upgrade. It's a great deal at very little expense.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed at the Monteleone for New Years Eve with my fiance and parents...we loved it! The hotel is very beautiful, historic and classy. The rooms are small, but didn't bother us as we only needed it for getting dressed and sleeping. The Carousel Bar is a lot of fun, the rooftop pool is heated in the winter and they have a fun little bar next to it, perfect for the summer. The River View Room is amazing at night..def worth a trip up there, we took some drinks and just sat looking out of the windows one night after our night on the town. The hotel is in the prefect location...you can easily walk to Bourbon St, Jackson Square, River Walk, Casino, Etc. Overall it is a fun & classy place to stay, I highly recommend for couples.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple