“Perfect Location - Summer Food Tour”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #10 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Perfect Location - Summer Food Tour”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My family and I stayed in this Hotel in August of 2011. It is a beautiful hotel located in the heart of the French Quarter. It has a beautiful swimming pool located on the top of the roof with a gorgeous view. My sister and I shared a room. It was pretty tiny but the beds were very comfortable. You do have to pay for internet while your there which is kind of annoying. I think its around 20 bucks or something like that. The lobby is beautiful. We had a great stay, Although after finding out it was on the Haunted Ghost Tour, I didn't sleep as well. :)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Cutiepet2tie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,344)
  • Turkish first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Monteleone during the marathon weekend (from Friday night to Tuesday March 3rd to March 6th). The hotel was lovely and historic and in a wonderful walking location for sightseeing, but if you are like me and choose to sleep between the hours of 10 pm and 3 am, then you will not want to stay on the Bourbon Street side of the hotel. When I booked our room in early June (for a stay the next March), I specifically requested a room with less noise on a high floor and they said that they would try to accommodate me. However, both of our first two nights we heard loud bands playing and crowd noise from 10 pm to 3 am. This is not good if you are trying to get up early (like I was when running a big race). After two sleepless nights, we requested a room change and were granted one. Unfortunately, the hotel made us check out of our first room at 11:00 am and we were not granted a new room on the quiet side until 5:00 pm. This made napping or rest impossible after a night with no sleep. If you want to party all night, this is a great hotel. If you want to rest at night and have fun during the day, try somewhere else!

Room Tip: Stay on the Decatur street side if you want to sleep at night!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoveToTravelWithFam
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Stayed here on a recent business trip and found the hotel and location to be fantastic. The room was a bit small but charming. The bed was comfortable with soft, crisp linens. The building feels old but in a good way. All too often we stay in chain hotels that lack charm and character. This place has both. The location cannot be beat, right in the heart of the French Quarter. Bourbon street is around the corner, close enough if you want it but not in your face if you don't. A small, quaint coffee/lunch spot is a few doors down, Cafe Beignet. The guy at the counter promised that their beignets were much better than Cafe Du Monde's. After happily sampling both, I have to agree. The cafe au lait was excellent as well.

At the center of the hotel is The Carousel Bar, a seemingly authentic revolving merry go round. It is a great place to meet for a drink. We had appetizers in the bar one afternoon which were surprisingly good. Also, as it was a corporate event dinner was on property. I was surprised at how good the food was. I was expecting the usual rubber chicken fare but it turned out to be very tasty. Breakfast was also quite good.

There is a roof top pool which unfortunately I did not get a chance to use. The lounges looked like a nice place to unwind after a day of sight seeing.

I came for business but would definitely return for pleasure given the chance.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Hazel132
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I pass through New Orleans often and in general have enjoyed sitting and having a sazerac at the Hotel Monteleone's Carosel Bar. My enjoyment changed dramatically, however, during a recent trip when, as per usual, I ordered a single drink, paid for it with my credit card and closed out the account. The total I was to be billed was $11.88, so imagine my surprise when I looked on my statement to find that the hotel was withholding two separate sums from two fraudulent transactions totaling $12.35 and $99.50. I called the hotel with the original receipt in front of me and after being passed from employee to employee was finally connected with the credit manager who told me that the discrepancy "should be taken care of" sometime in the next several days and that there was "nothing she could do about it." I said that I had been to the hotel many times before and that I closed out my card after a single drink to which she kept asking, as if brain-damaged, "did you close out your card?" All in all the staff were thoroughly unhelpful, adding to the impression of dishonesty in connection with the Hotel Monteleone this incident left me with. I will not be going back, and will instead spend my money at the far more convivial Columns Hotel on St. Charles Avenue.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank CaribIbnBattuta
BHSales, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Dear CariblbnBattuta,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you faced by the accidental charge to your account and the resulting inconveniences with the service your received in attempting to clear up the mistake. I hope you will reconsider your impression of the Carousel Bar and allow us another opportunity to provide you the type of hospitality, ambiance and service upon which our reputation is based.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We had $300 worth of corporate shirts stolen from our meeting room. The guest services representative, Riccio, promised to 'look into' the incedent by reviewing camera footage from the 2 cameras stationed at the two entrances. Nothing was done. After returning home, I contacted the hotel to find out if there was any consequence to the theft and I was dismissed. It was our fault, I was told (this only after we had left the hotel. While still there, we were told that everything would be taken care of...) We had rented the meeting room for 2 and a half days and nothing was offered to compensate us. Also, my private room was left open by the maid (number 934) when the deadbolt was left extended, so upon returning to my room in the afternoon, I discovered that anyone could have walked in and helped themselves to my belongings. DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL FOR ANY EVENTS. Stay at the OMNI.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Melissa E
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Melissa E,

Please accept our deepest apologies that this happened to you during your time at the Hotel Monteleone. We are appalled that we failed so poorly in our responsibility to you as our guest. There simply is no excuse for the inconveniences you experienced. Your comments have been brought to the attention of our Management for review.

I hope you will reconsider your impression of Hotel Monteleone and allow us another opportunity to provide you the type of hospitality, ambiance and service upon which our reputation is established and which you have every right to expect.