“Great Location ...good stay”
Review of Hotel St. Marie

Hotel St. Marie
Ranked #61 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Alittle lengthy but it is all info I wish I knew before I arrived..

Upon arrival we were able to luckily squeeze into a 10 min parking spot outside. The hotel looked nice from the outside. We didn't spend too much time in the lobby but it appeared nice. We arrived around noon and our room wasn't ready so they held our luggage for us. The do have a parking garage that is $28/nt plus $3+ in taxes....so assume $32 a night. Trust me...it’s worth the convenience. We were being a little tight with our budget and thought for sure we could drive down the road and find an open garage for cheaper. No such luck...it was about the same price and the drivers are CRAZY! Just park your car through their valet service (Donald was great) and suck up the price. I notice its becoming typical everywhere we travel.

Location couldn't be more perfect...out the front door and to the left is Bourbon Street is 1/2 block. (you would never know b/c it faces another hotel (Four Points) and that’s pretty much all the foot traffic you have.

So when you turn left and are at the crossroad at Bourbon street. We learned that it’s a better bet to walk left.....unless you desire the more risqué...then go right by all means! X-rated store fronts, etc.

The hotel was gracious enough to call a couple hours later and let us know our room was ready (still before check in time....BONUS!) The room was nice enough...we had a room with balcony overlooking the courtyard. Large balcony shared with neighbor....large enough to share for sure...however good neighborly practice would be to clean up your night before leftovers. I did notice some of the other courtyard balconies were nonshare...however significantly smaller..still with room to go outside.

Coffee maker, blow dryer, iron and board provided. Shampoo and lotion but no hair conditioner (unless it was called lotion...then I was just confused :) There wasn't in mini fridge in our room ...I think maybe in the junior suites??

Beds were pretty comfy...better than most rooms I have slept in under $150 a night...another BONUS!

It was a girl’s trip and we felt pretty safe staying here and further down away from Bourbon Street and I probably wouldn't be a good idea (that’s what the locals say)

Of course for every positive there is a negative....

Just a few small and one 'major'

small:
There could be a better dusting job inside the rooms (ex. AC vents..ridiculously dusty...shouldn't be a problem when you don't need a ladder to reach them) There was alot of dust everywhere, otherwise it was pretty clean.

yes the carpet did have a tear in it in our room as someone else mentioned.....we didn't plan on crawling around so not really an issue.

Here is what I consider a 'major' issue. The vanity/sink is outside from the toilet (that a good thing) however...the bathroom door is a huge issue. It is a full wooden slat door????? so odd...and its right up against the sink area?????? Not a great combo. Hopefully they are changing that b/c it was just weird (no locks on the bathroom door ...however I guess it’s not an issue b/c you can HEAR the person in there??? (i included a pic) Don't let this deter you ...just wanted to share how odd I thought it was

Overall it is a great stay and for the price we would stay there again. I would like to bring my daughter next time so we may try the Place D'Armes as it is location closer to riverwalk and Jackson Square..a little more of a family area but that was not the intention of this trip so it worked out great this time!

Room Tip: balcony courtyard seems ideal! You would just be staring at an empty street with street balconies I...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,947)

Reviewed 8 December 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in a courtyard balcony room and was totally satisfied. The location is ideal, being one block from Bourbon on a quite well kept street. I found the front desk staff to be helpful and friendly. My room (305) had a large balcony with table and 2 chairs. The sound of the fountain in the courtyard provided a soothing sound in the courtyard oasis. As other reviewers mention, the hotel could use some sprucing up, and during my stay they were replacing old tube televisions with new large flat screens. But keep in mind this hotel was less than half the price of Royal Sonesta 2 blocks away.
I had dinner plans at great restaurants each of the 3 nights I was there, so did not use the on site restaurant, Vacherie, so can not comment about it. For breakfast I walked 2 blocks to De Ja Vu on Dauphine and Conti. 4.99 for classic breakfast in a bar/grill setting, very good and quickly served.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jerseyguy314
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Although quaint, and very nicely located in the French Quarter, this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. With the exception of the staff, there is very little good to say. The staff was excellent, and did the best they could with what they had. Carpets, even in the lobby are stained. Room walls have chips out of the paint, peeling wallpaper and even cigarette burn holes in the sheers leading to the courtyard balcony. So the sheers have been there since you could smoke in the rooms? The crowning glory is the mattress. I'm not sure when innerspring mattresses were first invented, but I'm pretty sure that if they were serialized, ours would have a number below 10! We woke up crippled every morning. It's sad that the owners are taking a LOT more out of this hotel than they are putting in. It's my hope that this review will reach folks before the upcoming Super Bowl, although it's possible that other hotels are like this.

Room Tip: Don't select one at all if you want a good nights sleep. If you are young and can sleep anywhere...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tom B
Reviewed 4 December 2012

My friends and I didn't know what to expect when we came off of the highway and drove down Toulouse St. The tiny streets packed with people were hard to navigate so we pulled over and ducked into the Hotel St. Marie. The woman at the desk gave us a great price, it helps if you say you came from the tourist center.
We got a room with two double beds facing the courtyard. The room is normal size with AC and a little balcony with French doors, through which you can hear the fountain in the courtyard. There is no tv and no mini fridge, but the ice machine isn't far. It is a beautiful little hotel with lovely staff and it's a two second walk to Bourbon St.
It's perfect if you're looking for something with New Orleans charm for a good price and the basics. The parking is valet and about $20 per day, which is steep but you won't really find better. We didn't have any problems with the service or anything on our room not working.
The location is great, close to the party but just far enough that you won't hear it if you're trying to sleep instead. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate Q
Reviewed 3 December 2012

This was my first to NOLA and I had no idea what to expect. This Hotel was perfect! Old Southern styling, very friendly staff and a room with a french doors and a small balcony. When booking our trip I mentioned to a friend that I wanted a historic style hotel close to the French quarter and Bourbon street. She suggested the Hotel St. Marie and I am so glad she did. This hotel was within walking distance of Bourbon Street, Jackson Square, French Market, Canal Street and Frenchman Street.

The room was large and comfortable. We had a king sized bed, courtyard view room. The room was clean and the furnishings were exactly what I expected for a historic hotel. The only compaint I would have is the television. It was in a very large armoire and when you opend the doors you find an old 19" television which was hard to see when lying in the bed across the room.

All in all this hotel was lovely in the perfect location and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple