All reviews church bells ski bus italian buffet traditional hotel wonderful hotel gluten free food the main hotel billa supermarket superior room food is excellent ski room venison austrian charm train station half board local buses family run
Reviewed 12 June 2017

Family run hotel where it is hard to find even the slightest thing wrong. Right from arrival through to leaving, the service received from all the staff was first class. The room was spotless with a wonderful walk in shower. The bed was very comfortable and the room had a fridge, safe and plenty of storage space.
Yes, there are the church bells (not at night) but these are not a big problem. At 7am they do ring for a longer time than normal but you do get used to them and if you close the window you can hardly hear them at all ( I was right next to the church - room 102, I am a light sleeper and they did not affect me).
The food was wonderful. Good breakfasts and dinners to die for. I was on half board and had a choice of 3 meals each night. 4 course menu plus salad.
The staff were very friendly, as was the owners who were very welcoming throughout.
Wonderful hotel - very hard to beat.

Room tip: Rooms away from the church/road are quieter but not a big problem
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
kramerwirt, Manager at Alpenhotel Kramerwirt, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Dear Crowley99,
thank you very much for your positive report about your holiday experience at our traditional hotel. It is a honor to hear that you have been more than satisfied with our service and food! About the church bells: as we can not move the church:) our new renovated rooms have windows with three glass panes. We do really look forward to welcoming you again, your hosts Family Kröll and the Kramerwirt team

Reviewed 4 May 2017

Beautiful family run hotel in the pretty town of Mayrhofen, Austria.
The food is plentiful, of excellent quality and very tasty. Apart from the main dining room, there is a cosy bar area where meals are served as well as a conservatory dining area and for the warmer days/evenings, a large outside area where full meals or just a drink can be purchased. Most evenings there is musical entertainment, outside if it is warm or in the bar area on colder days.
The service cannot be faulted, all the staff are helpful and friendly.
The rooms are kept spotlessly clean, as are all the public areas of the hotel.
The only drawback is that it is situated opposite the church, but as long as you don't mind the .church clock chiming (during the day only) there is no noise problem
One of my favourite places!

Room tip: Rooms overlooking the main street have the best views
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
kramerwirt, Manager at Alpenhotel Kramerwirt, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2017

Dear Andrea H, thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great report about your holiday experience! We are happy that you have enjoyed the special atmosphere of our traditional hotel with our longtime staff and excellent food. Just about the church bells: the christian culture is still present in our little town, it took us more than 5 years to keep the church bells quiet at night...
We are really proud that you call the Kramerwirt one of your favorite places and we do already look forward to welcoming you next time! Your hosts family Kröll with team

Reviewed 1 April 2017

I have just returned from my ski vacation in Mayrhofen. Stayed in Kramerwirt hotel and I'm very glad I chose this hotel for my vacation. Located perfectly. The ski bus stops just next to the hotel (look for the stop near the fountain - two busses stop there, interval in the morning is about 15 min.).
The stuff seems to be very professional and friendly. My special compliment to the chef and to the lady making deserts: the food was really good, delicious and very good presented. You have a choise of 3 main cources for dinner which (the choise) you have to make in the morning. Apart from that you have a starter, then a soup, and at the end - you have a desert.
Also my special thanks to my water - Matias - a very friendly young guy, always in a good mood, always remembering your personal preferences. Actually works very professional.
The one thing I would wish this hotel improve - is their wine list. What I wrote above about the restaurant, the quality of food, the perfect work of the water - all of that deserves much better wine list. But probably in Austria it's better to order beer.
If I ever decide to go for a ski vacation to Mayrhofen again - I would definetely choose this hotel.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Vitaly605,
What a great holiday report, thank you very much for this wonderful feed back! Your waiter Matthias is part of the Family and a real benefit for our service-team. Our chef and his kitchen team (14 in total) are working hard to prepare delicious food with local products. Did you realize that the milk products at the breakfast buffet are coming from our very own farm and the sausages are homemade, too? In addition to our wine-recommendation you can choose from the wine list. We will revise our wine offer, thank you for your advice! Your host, family Kröll and the Kramerwirt-Team

Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

I have just returned from great trip to the Kramerwirt Annexe (the guest house next door) and would highly recommend this hotel to others.

I would also return to this hotel, although would prefer to stay somewhere with a pool and more facilities if travelling with children.

Rooms:
Note this review is based on the annexe rooms, I haven't seen the standard rooms in the main building.

The room was basic but very large and comfortable with lots of natural light. There was a good amount of storage and furniture. First night was cold but this was sorted from then on. The shower has a good pressure but the temperature can be a bit all over the place. Towels were fine and not too thin like you sometimes get skiing. You get soap, a 2 in 1 body wash/shampoo and a small hairdryer in the bathroom.

There is also a large screen modern TV but we didn't use this. There was no safe in our room. The beds were comfortable but pillows very soft.

Service:

The service in the hotel is excellent. It has a lovely family run feel. The two waiters who served us regularly (sorry I didn't catch their names but I believe it may be the owner and his son?) were so friendly and always took an interest in our day and plans. They were also very accommodating of my sister's fussy taste palette and allowed her to eat of the children's menu (she isn't a child) if the meal wasn't to her taste

Food:
The food was outstanding! Breakfast was the usual Austrian continental spread with a variety of breads, yoghurts, fruit, hard boiled eggs, cooked meats, cheese, cereals etc. There was also scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon. You could also order fried or soft boiled eggs or an omlette, which isn't always included in an Austrian breakfast. We really enjoyed the breakfast every day. It would have been nice to have a selection of pastries as well as the breads and rolls but this was no problem.

Dinner was also excellent. There would usually be a small starter, followed by soup, followed by a choice of 3 mains (1 of which was vegetarian) and a dessert, as well as a salad and bread self serve station. I enjoyed every meal, and particularly liked the goulash, stroganoff and vegetarian tarte. The Italian buffet was outstanding and probably the best meal. The dessert buffet one night was also great. Only complain here is charging for tap water. I know it's the norm in Austria but I do think that in a 4* hotel you expect table water with your meal. In the U.K. free tap water is the law so it feels strange for us British tourists to be charged for it.

Facilities:
This is the area that lets the hotel down slightly. There is no swimming pool, which given the beautiful weather we had, was a little bit missed. There are fantastic sauna facilities with 2 hot tubs (one facing the sun in a conservatory type area on the roof terrace), loungers, rain showers, steam room (damfbed), sauna, sanarium and infrared booth. However, these facilities are NOT free to guests no matter if in the annexe or main hotel. This was very strange as usually if staying in a 4* hotel these type of facilities are included in your package, especially as there was no pool. The cost is €5.50 per trip, which isn't a massive amount but meant I only used the facilities twice, whereas I would have liked to have soaked the muscles daily after skiing (remember no bath or swimming pool) but this would have soon racked up the costs. Also, nudity is imposed even in the hot tubs, which is not very accommodating for people's differing levels of comfort, religious preferences etc.

I also noticed that there are lots of small restaurant rooms but few recreational facilities. It may be worth changing one of these rooms to a small games room or lounge area?

Location:
Though it's not right next to the gondola station, we were very happy with the location. It's about a 10 minute walk up the high street, past lots of little cafes and bars to get to the Penken, or you can wait for the ski bus right outside the hotel. We also frequently got trains/buses to other resorts from the train station which is less than 5 minutes from the hotel, so if you are planning on exploring the Hintertux, Zell am Zimmer, Kaltenbach etc., this is a great spot.

Other recommendations/advice:
-Billa supermarket next door sells bottles of water for €0.55. At the Penken you'll pay €3 so take a rucksack and fill it with supplies. Also lots of cheap snacks and alcohol.
-Kostner up the high street does excellent cakes and treats.
-Make sure you try local desserts Germ Knodel and Kaiserschmarrn up the mountains or in the resort - delicious!
-The schnaps bar to the left of the Penken (at the bottom) does the nicest schnaps in Mayrhofen. Lots of great flavours such as white chocolate and fruits available. They do any 3 shots for €7
-If you're on a package your lift pass is probably for the entire Zillertal Valley, not just Mayrhofen. Make sure you make use of this! We did 1.5 days in the Hintertux Glacier (best snow in Spring), a day in Kaltenbach (Hoch Zillertal and Hoch Fugen) and a day in Zell am Zimmer (including Gerlos and Konigsleiten areas) and we covered so much ground! All your ski buses and trains are included in your pass. Some of our best skiing was in these areas.

Overall, the hotel has bags of charm and character, complementing the feel of the resort more generally. I would recommend it to others looking for comfortable accommodation, great food and friendly service for a reasonable price. I'd also recommend booking the annexe if the saving is good as all the facilities are the same and the room was perfectly comfortable.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the hotel or resort.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Milly v
Reviewed 31 March 2017

This is the best hotel and restaurant we have ever stayed in. It was absolutely perfect. We arrived on Saturday night after the restaurant had closed but they still served us a large delicious meal.
The staff are very friendly and can't do enough for you. The restaurant is amazing with different food every day. Breakfast is a buffet of cereal, fruit, yoghurt, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages. Or you can have an omelette cooked fresh. The evening meal is fantastic, with a starter, soup course, main course and dessert that's different every night. The standard of food is exceptional.
The sauna on the 4th floor costs 5.5 euros per person per visit and, although they have a naked policy, you can cover yourself with the towels provided.
The ski bus stops right outside the hotel but it's only a 10 minute walk up the main street to the Penken anyway. We opted to rent a locker at the Penken for 9 euros per day. This meant we could change out of our boots and helmet immediately and walk back to the hotel, stopping off for a few drinks on the way.
Mayrhofen is a pretty village with chalet type buildings and a couple of main streets consisting of hotels, bars, restaurants and shops. We loved it.
Skiing was great as we had an area pass. Ski buses are free and reliable.
We would definitely like to come back to this hotel, however all the hotels looked lovely from the outside.

Room tip: Room 114 is lovely.
Date of stay: March 2017