See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

This Hotel is Owned & Run by Native Hawaiians; That I Like. The problem is it is Really Old, Not Updated, not Clean enough...and Needs to be Sprayed more Frequently for B-52 Bomber-Sized Cockroaches. These are all correctable Problems.

The Location is Awesome; close to the Bay and Right Next Door to Hilo Farmers Market and Historic Churches, Shops and Restaurants.

I appreciate the Breakfast is Included, But Please Add Eggs or a protein Source (and REAL FRESH PINEAPPLE : NOT CANNED (my Mom Couldn’t Believe that she was in Hawaii and they served pineapple from a can...)

For the money, they-and you (at the moment) can do better.

I do not miss the 5 cockroaches that ran into my room...so long, little buddies...

I stayed at other Hotels that were older on this Island and had no problems

Please work on these issues and you will receive better reviews

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank lisawO3924GF
Jessie M, Guest Relations Manager at Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2018

Aloha Lisa,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us here at Kona Bay Hotel. Management has been made aware of the issues you brought up, and they will be handled promptly. We are very pleased to note that we are currently in the process of renovating our lovely family owned hotel, and do hope to see you again very soon!

Thank you for supporting our local business.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

Our friend arrived a day early (on a different reservation) and had multiple issues (roaches, obviously dirty sheets, etc) with her rooms, so she kept having to get switched. The day the rest of us arrived, we had a different reservation. Even though the front desk staff knew our friend was waiting on us, they did not let her know until late evening that they had a hospitality room where she could hang out while waiting so she did not have to walk around all day. They could not check her in because it was under a different name, which is completely fine, however they should have mentioned this hospitality room earlier. They acted as if she should have known to ask about this.
The staff at the front desk was very friendly and already aware of our arrival as well as the room issues our friend had the night before, so we thought they would probably make sure that our new room would not be so terrible. We had an inkling something might be wrong so we didn't start taking our luggage to our room until after we had confirmed it was good to go. The first room was never cleaned by housekeeping so we went back down to the front desk to get a different room. Again very frienbdly but their excuse was that their manager worked the check in counter and they did not know exactly how to issue out rooms, so there was some confusion. The second room we went to was already occupied. Unfortunately we walked in on a family staying there. Once again back downstairs to the front desk and the excuse this time was that they recently switched to a new system, so they were still getting used to it. Honestly we tried to keep a positive attitude and still remained friendly but were getting very frustrated. We went up to our third room and this time the key didn't work. We tried everything and still no luck. We got tired of constantly going up and down the stairs and to the front desk, so we decided to call them and asked them if they could just bring a new key to us, but they wouldn't. We were escorted to our fourth room by one of the maintenance gentlemen to ensure that the room would open. At this point we were satisfied with just clean sheets. The room didn't look very well clean and there were still some insects present but we just tried not to look around. Thankfully we were only staying for one night until we drove to Hilo the next morning.
The girls at the front desk were definitely very friendly and we felt the Hawaiian hospitality but I would absolutely never stay here again.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank SueAnn2288
Reviewed 28 May 2018

We booked a deluxe room at Uncle Billy's for May 2018 from Brisbane, Aust. We read other reviews but we were pleasantly surprised on check-in. The hotel is situated in an awesome position right in the centre of Kona - surrounded by shops and good restaurants all walkable. Good little market adjacent as well.

Billy's is a traditional Hawaiian family run hotel.Yes it's old, yes it needs some maintenance but if you look past these imperfections it is a great place to stay. We found our room clean, great amenities that we like ie. a desk, a safe, quick unlimited wi-fi, hairdryer, full length mirror and a lanai with an awesome view.

This property offers real Hawaiian 'Aloha' and the price reflects this. If you like an expensive concrete block of units with all the mod-cons but no character then this isn't the place for you. If you're going to Hawaii to experience the real thing then from our experience I can recommend Billy's.

Room tip: We booked a deluxe room, on 4th floor - there is a lift. Great view form Lanai
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susie J
Jessie M, Public Relations Manager at Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Aloha Susie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review. We pride ourselves on being one of the last Hawaiian family owned and operated hotel in Hawaii, and hope to do so for many more years to come. We are proudly in the process of renovating our hotel, and do hope to see you in the future sometime soon!

Mahalo,

Kona Bay Hotel Guest Relations

Reviewed 25 May 2018

We stayed at Uncle Billy’s in early May this year. Location of the property was perfect, excellent walking distance to everything. The room was adequate, bit of a musty smell. Everything was clean. Breakfast was very average and we chose to eat out everyday.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrChris69
Reviewed 23 May 2018

A budget lodging need not be FILTHY, but this one was just awful. See pictures. Bath and bath mat full of dirt - literally. Air conditioner filter full of dust bunnies and hadn’t been changed for years, coffee stains on sticky phone and the pool bottom was so black, it was dangerous to enter – unless you’re ok with fungus and disease. Beyond the overall filth, the air-conditioner did not work, the beds are really worn out and old, breakfast revolved around oatmeal with white bread and cut pineapple.
I pre-paid through hotels.com for a partial view room but could not convince the front desk to give me the room-type that I reserved. I asked to speak to the manager and was told that it was their day-off. I sent the manager an email and did not receive a reply.
Although this is a budget hotel, it still cost over $140 per night and I would expect it to be clean and the air conditioner to work, especially, when you could not open the windows because the VOG is so thick. Avoid this hotel at all costs – especially if you pre-pay and the town is too crowded to switch accommodations. Or, avoid the Big Island in general as the vog makes the entire experience unhealthy and quite ugly. The vog is so thick, you cannot even see the sun during a sunset…or even know there is a sunset – it just gets darker.

Room tip: Go to another hotel...for $10 more, the air conditioner will work and it won't be filthy.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Jessie M, Guest Relations Manager at Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Aloha,

I am terribly sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with us at kona bay hotel. I can assure you that we take all guest requests and concerns seriously, and would love to speak with you further regarding this issue. As I am the one who would receive any emails from guests, I can assure you that I did not receive any email from you regarding this issue. If you would like to resend it to reservations@unclebilly.com, I would be more than happy to assist you with these concerns.
Our staff are trained to room move all guests who are dissatisfied with their rooms, and I am confident that they would have followed protocol regarding your issues if it was brought to their attention.
Please contact us directly if you wish to address this issue, as I would be more than happy to speak with you regarding your concerns during your stay.

Kona Bay Hotel Guest Relations