“Not what I expected”

Kona Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kona Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 307 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The best thing about our meal was the view of the ocean. Other than that it is not anything special. We were not allowed in the main dining area since we did not have reservations. Very Poor Practice! The food was very mediocre and the menu was very limited. I would not recommend this place to anyone, nor will we be back. Reservation or Not.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed 31 March 2018

The location is fantastic looking out over the harbor. The rooms and bar are beautiful Kona wood as are the rest rooms. The service was very good and the food was good too. The prices reflect the location and surroundings. I had the calamari sandwich which had a lot of calamari steaks on the sandwich which made it almost to big to eat so I took away the bread and ate it as calamari steaks. They were very tasty.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Went there earlier this week just before 8pm, the restaurant is open till 9pm. The hostess refused to seat us in the restaurant and said we could go sit in the bar, same menu. The restaurant was less than half full and we did not understand why we could not be seated in the restaurant instead of the bar. I am not paying $50 an entree and eating dinner in the bar, a slight difference in ambiance. A few days later we made dinner reservations for the dining room at 7pm. I ordered Dorado and the waiter brought me Ono!!! Needless to say I will never go back, they are living on their reputation and the place has gone downhill. Oh my wife ordered a “traditional Caesar Salad “ it was like some chopped up lettuce, no anchovies and if there was dressing on it you couldn’t taste it. They can’t even serve the wine correctly white wine in a red wine glass, really!?!

Reviewed 24 March 2018

It doesn't get any better than this. We had fish both nights that we ate there. Our server was wonderful and the fish the best we ever had.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

This is a very nice location, not easily seen from the street. There are 2 dining areas--the formal dining room and the bar area which is more crowded and noisy but has the same menu. Reservations are recommended for the dining room. We were unaware of the different areas, showed up and the "hostess" asked if we had reservations--we did not. She told us to simply go down by the bar and take any seat we wanted. There were NO seats open--the "hostess" did not walk us down, explain the different locations and was not aware of the lack of open tables.
We found plenty of open tables in what turned out to be the formal dining room, and after discussion, the manage profusely apologized and gave us great seats with an incredible server--Romeo.
The drinks were great, food was wonderful and the menu is varied, something for everyone. Presentation is very nice--this is a very nice restaurant, despite the uninformed/uninterested hostesses. I highly recommend it.