“A taste of NOLA in Seattle”
Review of Marcela's Cookery

Marcela's Cookery
Ranked #496 of 4,250 Restaurants in Seattle
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Yesler Way
Reviewed 1 June 2016

Dropped in after an afternoon Mariners game at about 4:45, the witching hour between the lunch and dinner menus. Andrew was helpful in advising us on food and drink. I got a Hurricane (and it was a good, strong one--a la Pat O'Brien's in New Orleans) and my hubby got one of the Abita beer choices. As we weren't incredibly hungry, we split the Cajun Sampler with a salad (our choice of dressing was Citrusy Italian), Gumbo, Crawfish Pie, and Shrimp and Andouille (sausage) Jambalaya. The to-die-for item was the Gumbo, with a bit of a (spice) kick. I enjoyed the Jambalaya and my husband liked the Crawfish Pie. The salad was a basic green salad with tomatoes, carrots and purple kale--dressing was good. Then I topped off the meal with Pecan Pie. It was made with dark syrup, but was quite good. Marcella's is a true taste of NOLA in Seattle and, were we not visiting from out of town, we would visit often! The service was terrific and Andrew was most helpful in answering our questions.

Reviewed 22 April 2016 via mobile

We went for a later dinner, and there was a cooking class in the back.
It's a cute little place. I was worried that things may be too spicy, but we both had meals that were fairly mild.
I had friend catfish with a crayfish cream sauce, and my husband had a friend chicken cutlet with the same cream sauce, but with andouille sausage.
The waitress was great, try a chickory coffee.
Oh, the tables had the names of the regulars posted. I now have a new goal in life.

Reviewed 27 March 2016 via mobile

My Mother and I took the cooking class offered to sharpen up our Creole skills! Had a great time and added to my knowledge base. Anthony was entertaining and engaging. Love the shrimp bruschetta!

Reviewed 19 February 2016

I wasn't sure what to expect based on the very unassuming exterior of the restaurant, but this was a real find. I enjoyed the "Uptown Chicken," which was the lightest and most flavorful chicken I have had in a really long time. It came with steamed broccoli and potatoes, which were okay, but the chicken was divine.

I finished with the bread pudding, which was soaked in a very strong liqueur. It was also very good.

The value for the meal was better than I expected with it only costing about $26 for dinner, an iced tea, and desert. I would definitely go back to eat there again.

Reviewed 29 January 2016

Six of us (son and daughter-in-law, her parents and we, the parents of said son) had TravelZoo vouchers for a Creole cooking class & meal, The cost of the vouchers was around $40 for two people. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday evenings and Saturday afternoon experiences are available.

The restaurant is in Seattle's iconic Pioneer Square. We found parking on the street easily (Thursday) so we had time to walk thru Occidental Park as well as window shopping along 1st Avenue.

Marcela's is an authentic Creole(New Orleans) restaurant. Old brick walls, with art work from the New Orleans area. Small, intimate, probably seats 60.

The class group was seated together in an area where there was a table set up for cooking. Anthony (comic, husband of Marcela and all around expert of Creole cookery) was our host and instructor. He was engaging, informative and included all the guests in preparation of the 4=course dinner.

Our learning and feasting centered around Shrimp Gumbo, Creole Garlic Shrimp Crostini, Shrimp Etouffee and Peach Cobbler. All courses were magnificent in flavor. We especially enjoyed the Crostini! All Recipes were printed for our personal use.

This experience was perfect with genuine Hurricane's, camaraderie between groups that arrived together as well as the new "friends" we met.

We will be back to sample other menu offerings and a Sunday afternoon "boil" of crayfish.

Thank you to Marcela and Anthony - for the New Orleans Creole escape on a Seattle winter evening!