“Don't miss this spot in Columbia City”

Island Soul Restaurant
Ranked #525 of 4,245 Restaurants in Seattle
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Island Soul Caribbean Bar and Cuisine invites you to come taste the Caribbean in the heart of Seattle. At Island Soul Caribbean Bar and Cuisine, you will find hand crafted cocktails, a friendly staff, and an array of flavorful island dishes. Our warm atmosphere will allow you to enjoy some soulful options such as Bayou Gumbo, Curried Goat, Savory Oxtails, and much more. Island Soul food is a composed of the cuisines from both Jamaica and Louisiana. Our Caribbean recipes have been passed down through generations. Everything we serve is local and delicious. We also offer catering and private parties, so give us a call if you're interested. Come check out our recently renovated bar and amazing happy hour. We show all of the Seahawks games as well if you're looking for some great food while watching the game. We hope to see you soon at Island Soul Caribbean Bar and Cuisine.
Reviewed 12 January 2017

First off, if you are staying downtown and don't have a car, take light rail south to Columbia City station. Walk about 4 blocks east to Rainier Ave, turn right and about mid block is Island Soul. So... no excuses.

I've gotten to know the family that owns and runs Island Soul over the last few years and come as much for them as the food, though don't get me wrong the food is fantastic. The restaurant is not big and gets crowded around Happy Hour and early dinner particularly on Friday and Sat. They do not take reservations. This is a local neighborhood restaurant so you'll see lots of regulars at the bar (if you can get a seat).

Their fare is a combo of Louisianian and Jamaican, Theo, the owner grew up in Alexandria LA. The best thing for me to do is offer my favorites in no particular order though I almost always order the seafood fritters. My other favorites are the catfish, seafood gumbo, jerk chicken or ribs, cornbread, hush puppies and oxtail stew. They have quite a number of other menu items and from all accounts they are all great.

Now for the bar! If you go later in the week, Marcus should be holding forth, behind the bar. He takes great pride in his creativity and will gladly concoct something for you so be sure to ask. They have a great rum selection.

So their you have it. If you can plan ahead and be there on Fat Tuesday you,ll get music and a parade.

1  Thank Tom A

Reviewed 27 November 2016

So this place! I felt instantly comfy, like I was with my peeps! People of all races and walks of life, all of whom felt like they were safe and understanding.

Great food! Pick an item and chow down.

If you are a yuppie, stay away...no one there likes you in any way.

If you wanna place to eat and connect without pretention? GIT YER BUTT DOWN THERE!

Such great servers, the barkeep looked WAY cool and it was just a good place.

I had chicken and waffles...didn't need to eat the rest of the day! <3

1  Thank Charissa W
Reviewed 10 November 2016 via mobile

This is a great place for Happy hour which is served until 6pm. The appetizers are priced at a discount price but you have to order one alcoholic beverage. I always opt for the full dinner because I need my sides. What I love ordering here is the fried catfish with collard greens, black eyes peas. I also recommend the yams. But the 3 piece catfish dinner portion with one side is a lot of food for one person. I think it's meant to be shared. I also recommend their non alcoholic fresh ginger beer. It's so delicious and refreshing.

1  Thank DTravelDiva
Reviewed 5 September 2016 via mobile

This place was close to the place we stayed. We chose it from their diverse menu. We got it to go and it was ready in about 15 minutes. The food was good and had some nice spice.

1  Thank Riverdog_23
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

Stopped by the restaurant for dinner and the food was great. We loved the area it was located and the atmosphere was really nice. There is a bar and a couple of TV'S

1  Thank Eddie H