“Great Place to stay when visiting Seattle. Great location and lovely B & B in every way!”
Review of 9 Cranes Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seattle
9 Cranes Inn
Ranked #3 of 27 Seattle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 August 2017

My wife and I recently spent five wonderful evenings at the 9 Cranes Inn. It's a lovely B & B in what, we thought, was a great location, in Phinney Ridge.
The home is situated on a neighborhood block, and only a short two block walk to the bus stop on Phinney Ave. While we had a car for part of our stay, we found the bus to be amazingly easy, convenient and a great way to travel either to the city downtown area or to an adjacent neighborhood, such as nearby Ballard.
Shelley is an excellent host and is happy to help in any way as well as provide restaurant recommendations, (which we listened to, and were happy we did), and suggestions of things to do, places to go and how best to get to where you are going. Likewise, she served a lovely breakfast each morning of our stay.
We recommend going into nearby Ballard as well as taking the ferry over to Brainbridge Island. One of Shelley's restaurant suggestions was to go to Ray's Cafe, (in Ballard), where we sat outside on the deck with fantastic water and sunset views.
As far as rooms, I can only speak of the room we had, which is the 'Ballard View' room. This room occupies the 3rd floor of the house and it's most outstanding feature is the private outdoor deck, which comes with the room. The deck is spacious, (maybe around 15' x 15'), and offers peace and quiet as well as lovely views to the mountains off in the distance. My wife and I very much enjoyed relaxing out on the deck after our day's activities-wonderful! The room itself is also quite lovely, comfortable king bed, ceiling fan, free-standing A/C floor unit, lovely bathroom w/jacuzzi tub w/bay window and views, and quiet and private as you occupy the top floor of the house.
Again, we found the location to be ideal. About 20 minutes on the # 5 bus to downtown Seattle, (and the bus system, we found to be excellent, running continually-I think every fifteen minutes, reliable, etc.). You're in a nice residential neighborhood, near/in walking distance of restaurants. You can walk to Ballard, (maybe a mile, mile and a half, etc.), which is lovely, lots of activity, restaurants, cafes, and so on. You can also walk to nearby Green Lake, which is lovely, and you're immediately adjacent to the park, which also houses the zoo. So, we found the location to be ideal for us and our purposes.
Again, we think the Ballard View room is wonderful and would, unequivocally, choose to stay in this room. I'm not sure how much extra the room charge is, but to have this room and the outside deck, from our perspective, is well worth the additional charge incurred.
All told, we highly recommend the 9 Cranes Inn and will definitely stay here, (without question), on any future visit to Seattle.

Stayed: August 2017
2  Thank 868robj

Reviewed 22 August 2017

Spent 2 days at this quiet little place in the Ballard room. Super clean and lots of windows and sunlight during the day. Loved the deck where you can enjoy the view on your own. Not to mention the host Shelley who was just so nice and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank SUOJI C
Reviewed 3 August 2017

This is a wonderful bed and breakfast in Seattle. It's situated on a quiet residential street and you can expect all your needs to be taken care of. My wife and I had a wonderful stay and look forward to our next trip to Seattle so we can stay at 9 Cranes Inn again.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. We stayed on the first floor and it was wonderful
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David P
Reviewed 22 July 2017

Attended a 50th high school reunion in Seattle in July 2017. A couple from San Diego joined us, the husband & I went to high school and then the Army together. Known him since 1964, and best friend since then. He has traveled the world, both for business & pleasure. He had stayed at 9 Cranes before, and recommended we & our wives stay there again. Boy was he right. Very quiet place, in a lovely neighborhood. Wonderful innkeeper. Good advice on where to go, and what to see. Very tasty & creative breakfasts each morning, and stimulating conversation with Shelly and other guests. Very comfortable rooms, and nicely done bathrooms. Our hostess loves what she does, and she is very good at making her guests feel welcome. Thanks for a great 4 days.
Warren & Jean Ford
Depoe Bay OR.

Room Tip: Best view is the top floor. Has a balcony with a view of the Olympic mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Warren F
Reviewed 19 June 2017

When visiting my Daughter in Seattle for a few days upon the birth of my new Granddaughter, I wanted to be nearby, so I decided to stay at a B&B in her North Seattle neighborhood of Phinney Ridge. I not only got a good night’s sleep but also discovered that the art of inn keeping is alive and well, as practiced by Shelley Goulding, Proprietor of the 9 Cranes Inn.

Trying sum up why liked the 9 Cranes Inn so much, one thought comes to mind: It was in every way just what I wanted it to be. I arrived late, and suitable arrangements were made to leave a key for me, actually, it was two keys, one for the front door and one for my room. I found the large turn of the century Craftsman style house perfectly renovated. I was charmed by the gracious front porch with wicker chairs begging you to sit, and the bright red front door that says welcome. The gracious interiors feel new and even contemporary while every detail remains faithful to the Arts and Crafts period of the architecture.

The four guest room are each different. However, I learned that Shelly's design team had consistently conceived and created each during the extensive renovations to provide the same level of details and amenities. Considerable thought went into the quality of the bed, duvet, linens, and pillows. The bed was very comfortable and minimized the customary 'miss my bed at home' feeling.

The en-suite bathroom has been reconfigured to be more like what you would expect in a four-star hotel than a home, with every fixture new and thoughtfully selected for function as well as style. It is here that you begin to recognize what sets the 9 Cranes apart, the total dedication to the attention to detail. Everything that you want, and might never need, has been thoughtfully provided in just the place you would expect to find it throughout the large suite.

When making my booking, I was immediately contacted by Shelley with a very personal welcome Email with complete arrival directions and information. I replied and suggested that I probably would not be eating breakfast, and would just have some coffee before joining my family. However, when I came down the first morning, the aromas from the kitchen drew me to the gracious dining table, which I then looked forward to every morning of my stay.

The food was exceptional, and expertly planned and executed by our host. One day it was ‘sweet,’ as in exquisite baked fruit pancakes, and the next day ‘savory,’ as in herbed quiche, each with trimmings, toppings, and sides making it truly a five-star experience.

I did not think I would care for the ‘boarding house’ table aspect of a B&B, but to my surprise, I found the three or four other well-traveled guests each morning to be engaging, providing interesting and informative conversations, sometimes skillfully moderated by Shelly during her course servings. It should not be surprising that the 9 Cranes Inn customer base appears to be made up of birds of a feather, reasonably sophisticated and cosmopolitan, in the manner of their host.

As I made arrangement to depart, I finally identified the real reason the 9 Cranes was everything that I wanted it to be. It was Shelley Goulding, Proprietor of the 9 Cranes Inn—a truly professional Innkeeper in the finest traditions of that term.

Room Tip: The four suites are equal in quality but each with their own character. The 3rd Floor room has the...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family