“Great place for a private party!”
Review of Staple and Fancy

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 48th Ave NW
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We attend as part of a surprise party for a friend's retirement, in the Cellar Room. We've eaten at Staple and Fancy before and always enjoyed it very much, so we had pretty high expectations; Chef David Glass and his crewed exceeded them and helped make the evening a memorable experience.

We started with some snacks around the bar, and then sat down to an amazing meal. There were several appetizers (the Bruschetta, Roasted Beet Salad, Roasted Carrots, and I can't remember what else). The Pasta came next -- Ravioli and a Puttanesca not on the menu. Entrees were the Wood Grilled Whole Fish with Sprouts, Crispy Potatoes (simple but outstanding), two items not on the menu -- a Salmon dish, and fresh green beans. Everything was delicious and nicely presented.

We were 14 people total, including some with various dietary restrictions; Chef David was able to work accommodate everyone.

We have our own celebration coming up later this year, and we're planning to come right back to the Cellar Room at Staple and Fancy.

One thing to note -- be prepared for the Cellar Room to be a bit cool.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

The tasting menu is pricey so not for the average night out. It is always a delight.
Restaurant pros and cons:
Pros: excellent quality, great service, lively atmosphere.
Cons: pricey but we feel worth it, very busy so you need reservations, automatic 20percent added for service but the service is excellent. (Kudos to the staff and management.)

Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

My niece and her friend suggested we meet at this restaurant on our recent visit back to Seattle. We decided on the chefs choice and it was a great decision. Our server Cate was excellent in her description of each course and wine serving. I tried things that I would never have before and enjoyed most. The rest of the party indulged in what I didn’t want. We had bruschetta, beets, kale salad, carrots and turnips, oysters, moist chicken and dessert. I may have missed something too! It was a special night.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

This was my first time eating at Staple and Fancy; my friend had dined there once before. This was the first time either of us ordered the tasting menu. Whether you put yourself in the chefi's capable hands with a tasting menu or just order a la carte, I would be surprised if most diners couldn't find something to like about Staple and Fancy. The food is over-the-top good and the service excellent. We were served by Mary, who did an admirable job of explaining the menu. The tasting menu is more of a leap of faith than in most comparable restaurants because you don't know for sure what is going to be served--it will be items from the regular menu but the restaurant doesn't commit to telling you exactly which items in advance. That said, we had the opportunity to make our likes and dislikes known in advance and were told if there was something in particular that interested us to let Mary know.

I was particularly impressed by the tapas that started the meal--there were a lot of different items in that one course and it seemed as though each one was better than the last. I am not normally a fan of liver pate but Staple and Fancy made me a believer with their light, airy version. The pasta dish (ravioli) was letter perfect. The main course was hanger steak, not a cut I normally would have ordered, but it turned out to be surprisingly tender and tasty.

At $55 per person, the tasting menu seems to me like the right way to go.

A word about service: we had someplace we needed to be for a show following dinner and we let Mary know that. She and the kitchen were very accommodating and we made our show on time with no problem. When I go back, I will allocate more time just to enjoy dinner but know that Staple and Fancy is not a bad choice for a pre-show meal.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

We had dinner with friends. By now we know the best plan is to opt for the $55/person “fancy” option, and let the restaurant decide on our dinner choices. (They are very careful to find out dietary preferences first.). Everything was fabulous, from the specialty cocktails to the killer red Barbara by the glass, to the splendiferous array of dishes, to the wonderful dessert. This dinner was a birthday present for one of the guests, and the restaurant also took care to leave birthday wishes at his plate and bring him a special dessert. We all walked out in a happy foodie daze. Definitely make reservations at this fabulous place, well in advance.